Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mic's Please Read

Options
  • 03-02-2014 4:18pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads, something that has become an issue on the PFL i'd like to stop from becoming an issue here.

In the rules, it does say everyone needs and mic and this is for a very valid reason:

You need to be able to tell you're opponent if you are doing something out of the ordinary:

- Going for it on 4th
    - No Huddle
    - Letting the clock run down to the 2 min warning/end of quarter or snapping the ball with a split second left if you have left the game clock run down
    - Running very similar or indeed the same plays pretty much all the time

While in general things have been ok for us here, there have been a few reports last season and this season on breaches on the above, those people have been spoken to and they replaced their mic's.

I cannot under estimate how important it is for to have a working mic, they are pretty cheap (€10 delivered from amazon.co.uk).

It solves so many issues and stops people complaining to me about stuff that happens in game.

To give an example, i was recently playing 2 games on the PFL one with a mic and then one where both my mic was broke and so was my opponents.

In game 1) i was 14 points down coming into the 2 min warning on my side on the pitch with a 4th and 2 and the opponent receiving at half time.. a punt could have seen me 28 points down just after HT.

So while outside of the rules, I asked my opponent could i go for it, he said yes.. no issues one either side as the communication is clear.

in game 2) both people without mics.. player runs pretty much the same play 6/7 times in a row which is pretty s**t, with a mic its simple WTF are you doing man, its a lot harder to type that out in between game pauses.

Get a mic lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

It's also very frustrating playing against a non mic'd player, make you swear at the TV a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Guilty of not using the mic myself when I'm playing after around 9:30pm on weeknights due people being in bed, any other times I love chatting while playing, but I'll get it switched on at those times from now on. Just so my opponents know, I won't be able to chat but will leave it on for the reasons Heli has indicated.

I definitely agree with what Gatsby has said. I find I play better when talking on the mic. Much less chance of flying off the handle after a bad play or two which helps to stay focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

I always find I play better against a player that is mic'd up. As for people like Paully, I know sometimes I can't have a full blown conversation when I am on but I don't think saying going for it on 4th will wake the whole house up. Not having a go at you or anything Paully. :)

Advertisement