Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Four Corners of Hell

Options
  • 03-02-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Now, many years ago at the junction where New Street, St Patrick's Street, St Kevin's Street and the Coombe met, there was a pub on each corner. I can only remember Lowes pub... age and insanity have driven the other names from my head :(

Can any nice person tell me the names of the others?

Thanking in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The north-east corner, where Patrick Street and Kevin Street meet, was Nash's. Demolished, rebuilt under the same name and now abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nashs wasn't one of them. Lowes, Quinns, O'Beirnes, Kennys were the four, supposedly one was painted black and white too according to the aul wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

It was called something else before Pat Nash bought it... part of me thinks it was Quinn's, but I am not sure :/

Thanks though :)

I might have to take a trip to Fallon's and quiz the locals!!

Nashs wasn't one of them. Lowes, Quinns, O'Beirnes, Kennys were the four, supposedly one was painted black and white too according to the aul wan.

I think you have them Mate :D Cheers!!

If you happen to have a Facebook like this page https://www.facebook.com/GrowingUpInTheLiberties. I'm only 23 but born and bred in The Tenters, my mother born and bred too, along with all her mams side of the family. Love seeing pictures, etc... from the times before I was born and the likes, but they also post loads of information and there's people on their with vast knowledge of the area.

• Advertisement

I don't do facebook... yet :) All my Ma's people were from the area too. I love strolling around it! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Was Nash's T.P. Smith's cant be sure.

Was Nash's T.P. Smith's cant be sure.

I am sure I remember it as Quinn's, but maybe it underwent a few owners?

^^^ Weird I was just reading your post olly-mac about meeting Billy Joel in the Norseman my friend met him in there that day too!

^^^ Weird I was just reading your post olly-mac about meeting Billy Joel in the Norseman my friend met him in there that day too!

Small world :D I probably know your friend from "back in the day" too!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

One was also known as The New Inn which might well have been the black and white one according to my unreliable memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I think Nash's was used in the Film The spy that came in from the cold

What year was this? I can only remember the one where Nash's is/was. I remember the Apartments above the 99c store being a council rubbish depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Why was Nash's closed so soon after they did it up a few year ago?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've heard that the new building wasn't up to code for a pub so didn't get a fire cert: the emergency exit from the basement to street level which comes out beside the Spar isn't wide enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

tricky D wrote: »
    One was also known as The New Inn which might well have been the black and white one according to my unreliable memory.

No -The New Inn was further up New St,also called Gullivers at one stage,it was a well known singing house.

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    No -The New Inn was further up New St,also called Gullivers at one stage,it was a well known singing house.

Yep. you're right I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Here's pics of the four corner pubs. Taken from the DCC Libraries excellent archive: Dublin City Public Libraries Digital Collections

I should learn to use the interweb :) ^^^ Great photos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

New Inn wasn't on the corner as said. Sure it was a few hundred yards up from the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

What year was this? I can only remember the one where Nash's is/was. I remember the Apartments above the 99c store being a council rubbish depot.

I remember that too. Big dump place.

anncoates wrote: »
    I remember that too. Big dump place.

Yup, for the handcarts and electric ones that they pulled.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've heard that the new building wasn't up to code for a pub so didn't get a fire cert: the emergency exit from the basement to street level which comes out beside the Spar isn't wide enough.

On the button there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There was a dispute between the builder (who owns everything above the pub) and the publican. It got (till nama took the pub iirc) legal and the publican locked it up one day and walked out. It dragged on for quite a while.

ollaetta wrote: »
    Here's pics of the four corner pubs. Taken from the DCC Libraries excellent archive: Dublin City Public Libraries Digital Collections

Where was O'Beirnes exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Where was O'Beirnes exactly?

Kevin Street was narrower then so it was approximately where the pedestrian crossing east of the closed public toilet block now stands. See here: OSI Map

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Detailed story of the Four Corners of Hell:

http://comeheretome.com/2014/09/29/the-four-corners-of-hell/

Thanks to those who posted in this thread, it was very useful.

Advertisement