Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you TT?

Options
  • 03-02-2014 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

How often do you practice your TT?

I am not talking about going for a spin on the bike or working on the turbo, I am talking about going out for say 40k in the TT position and going at race pace?

Did a TT at the weekend and despite all my cycling and turbo the undulating nature of the course and the surging in effort was a real eye opener. I dont think you could recreate this on a turbo no matter what you did

thanks

MD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Do actual triathlons count? If not then never. I seem to do ok nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Did 1 during pre season last year is all - 70km rolling.

Will try get 2 in this year but like bth I wouldn't say they are crucial unless some underlying pacing or strength issue there.

More a good testing/hammer time sessions imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Just read your log. You did a TT this last weekend and feel that you struggled a little?? That is was more difficult than expected? That's entirely normal for a triathlete on the second day of February. If your training is set up correctly then you'll be in much better shape for a TT in May/June/July.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

BTH wrote: »
    Just read your log. You did a TT this last weekend and feel that you struggled a little?? That is was more difficult than expected? That's entirely normal for a triathlete on the second day of February. If your training is set up correctly then you'll be in much better shape for a TT in May/June/July.

yep i struggled some but expected that tbh, just seems to me that TT is actually something that could be practised as there are loads of little things/mistakes made when you fall out of practice such as:
    • pacing
    • cadence
    • power consistancy
    • gearing
    • staying in aero position
    • dealing with winds i.e. bike handling while in TT position with race wheel set up
    • getting used to head-up TT helment neck position

there is also much more variation in the power demands on that type of course rather than something flat such as Athy OD course or HOTW. i think turbo can prepare you for a course like athy but less so for such a varied course like i did on Sunday. perhaps that is just me and i need to work on putting out more consistent power rather than such a varied power which would wear me out more i.e. control myself going up the rises and apply more power on the flats/declines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

MD1983 wrote: »
    yep i struggled some but expected that tbh, just seems to me that TT is actually something that could be practised as there are loads of little things/mistakes made when you fall out of practice such as:
    • pacing
    • cadence
    • power consistancy
    • gearing
    • staying in aero position
    • dealing with winds i.e. bike handling while in TT position with race wheel set up
    • getting used to head-up TT helment neck position

there is also much more variation in the power demands on that type of course rather than something flat such as Athy OD course or HOTW. i think turbo can prepare you for a course like athy but less so for such a varied course like i did on Sunday. perhaps that is just me and i need to work on putting out more consistent power rather than such a varied power which would wear me out more i.e. control myself going up the rises and apply more power on the flats/declines

What was your VI?

The route you did - have you a power file with map/elevation and power distribution?

Did you go from the bottom of Calary aka Kilmac and up to Roundwood and back?
    If so other than Calary I wouldn't class that as particularly rolling tbh?
    VI should be around the 1:03/1:04 hopefully to indicate good pacing.

Here's my file from last Feb as an indicator as I held power pretty well at a VI of 1:06 which for that route I felt was fine.
    70km route starting at NewtownmountK, heading south to Ashford, turn right in Ashford and up/down to Rathdrum taking the right before garage to go up the sharp hill and bypass the town centre, turn right to Laragh, right to roundwood, back down Calary and down N11 back to start.
    Not the most elevation at 800m over the 70km but a few hills and that Laragh road is rough and rolling it's a tester.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/BB3CUISBSN72Z4E7M7YPHYEHDM

Will prob be doing this route again soon as fitness is back to a reasonable level so can let you know too if you want to join in.

• Advertisement

Am on phone, am up for the cycle. Will pm you tommorow, have file need to look at vi, havent looked at that before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i bet it was over 1:06 ;-)

thats your typical modus operandi for betting Peter, find out the outcome and then place the bet.....the only sure way of doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

it said nothing about the VI in the result sheet .... And only the power meter is intelligent to tell those things so still a fair bet ;-)

i suspect you are right Peter- my garmin software is not updated to provide VI but i may find it out later.....and then i may or may not take the bet....

i just made a balls of it but its better to make the mistake now than in June

• Advertisement
Advertisement