Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert English question

Options
  • 03-02-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I was just looking through my English papers and I noticed you get asked to write a 'prose composition' in paper 1. I've looked it up and can't find any definite answers and I'd just like to know for certain what's expected (English mock tomorrow eep). Any and all help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

By Prose Questions do you mean Personal Writing?

There's four sections to Paper One:
    - Reading Comp
    (read a passage - usually a journalistic piece - answer questions using PQE)

- Personal Writing
    (basically just a creative writing piece, i.e. short story, personal essay, speech, etc. A good 3-4 pages is expected. You get seven options to choose from)

- Functional Writing
    (another creative writing piece but with more format, i.e. personal letters, formal letters, reviews, reports, articles, text of a talk, etc. Usually you get two options and choose one)

- Media Studies
    (Questions about different aspects of the media, i.e. radio, newspapers, advertising, etc. Sometimes you get asked to study an advertisement and you answer questions about it. Not as difficult as it seems. Usually two questions, choose one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi Shezzaholmes! Don't worry about this, it's just the wording of the paper. 'Prose composition' is basically a fancy term for an essay - no need to worry yourself at all. It basically means write an essay, not a poem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shezzaholmes

Thanks! I kind of had a vague idea but I didn't want to end up going into the exam and writing something that goes completely against the question :-$

Always good to be prepared!
    Best of luck with the mocks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hitatree

I have my English Paper One mock tomorrow, I am really stressed as I planned to use e-xamit.ie for examples but their website is down (probably due to traffic). Can a personal writing be a speech?
    Also does anyone have any other tips for me?

• Advertisement

Speeches often come up in the Personal Writing section.
    If you're asking can you write a speech as the answer to a general title in the personal writing section (i.e. 'write a speech' isn't specified in the title), I've never come across it and wouldn't really advise it.
    As for other advice, don't be stressed! It's only the mock, and it'll be fine. Work out your timing and stick to it, great practice for the real thing in June.
    Best of luck, you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hitatree

Thank you so much.
    You don't know how much you have helped!

Advertisement