Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Derma Clinic, Newbridge - Closed

Options
  • 03-02-2014 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My wife has a bit of a quandry - she bought a series of 6 laser hair removal treatments with the Laser Derma Clinic in Newbridge before Christmas (http://laserdermaclinic.ie/), to a total value of €300 - €100 initially via a Groupon deal, and then €200 more to expand the scope of the treatments.

She had her first treatment in December, which went well, but when she tried to schedule her next one in Jan (they are 6 weeks apart), she discovered they had closed down, with a sign in the window advising of a change in management. They are unreachable by phone, or email, and there have been no signs of the business re-opening since. They have a sister business in Portlaoise, but I couldn't find any contact details for them.

What avenues does my wife have to try and recoup the losses here? Has anyone else been left in the same boat? She's quite upset, since she had saved up the cash for this, and now shes left with nothing.

Any advice welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Has the business ceased trading, or just moved to another location?

Did she pay by cash or by credit card? If she paid by cash, then there's no recourse. If she paid by credit card, then there's a chance to get money back through a chargeback.

Had she used all the treatments from the Groupon voucher? If she hasn't, then I'd get in touch with Groupon to get the relevant portion of the voucher refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

We are not sure what has happened to the company, they have just vanished. I'll check how she paid, I suspect cash, but its possible she used her card.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 eamon666

My missus is in the same boat. The Portlaoise branch is closed for a few months. Is there a contact number / email for the new management? Or is it the same details as on the website? The new management might not honour existing vouchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

brings up a business name

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanySearch.aspx - key in "Laser derma" and click on "Both" for companies and business names.

You can download the "submissions" which will give details of the owner, however if its gone out of business, unfortunately unless you have paid by credit card or visa debit card, its a loss.

You can download the forms they completed and see if they are a company - but frankly, in current market, if a small business has closed, the chances are that money simply dryed up.

Details

Type Business Name
    Number 384207
    Name THE LASER + DERMA CLINIC
    Address 21 LOWER MAIN STREET
    PORTLAOISE
    CO. LAOIS
    Registered 08/05/2009
    Status Normal

Effective Date 08/05/2009

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hermioneg

I bought a €100 deal off them too. I called in at the time to see if it was suitable for my skin, and she said I could pay her the cash rather than buying online deal and printing out voucher etc. Had 2 sessions (6 weeks apart) and struggled to make next app cos they were "booked out". Since then the mailbox is full and now I learn it has closed!!! Fuming!!!!! Anyway I found the owners name and sent her a private msg via Facebook to see where she will accommodate me for the remaining treatments, or if she is going to bother refunding the 100+ people who bought the deal via groupon. Understandably businesses close but she would have received over €10k from the online deals, plus any eejits like myself who gave her the cash. Expensive lesson learnt. Wonder will I ever get a reply, doubt it!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 andrewjames

same happened to me, i handed over 200 euro in november for xmas pressie for my wife, never got a treatment....anyway made calls etc to n.c.a and cro and called into shops next door in newbridge offices and basically the general feeling is the owner has done a legger with over 30000 euro of stolen money...

cro and nca both said if u paid with cash u will prob never see it back but if u bought vouchers from groupon u have a chance, make contact asap with them....also said talk to ur bank -credit card people and u will have have a better chance via the chargeback facility on card transactions...just bring ur statement and vouchers to bank and ask them to facilitate u and they should be able to do it....

regards,

andy

• Registered Users Posts: 6 andrewjames

i also got a mobile number for her, obviously i tried it but guess what ????? number is out of service.....the <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maria mar

I'm in the same boat, only got one session done but paid by card, how do I go about getting my money back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Contact your bank and ask them to do a chargeback

Hi I am in the same boat. I was attending the Portlaoise salon for nearly 2 years when I could. I made an appointment last August and could not keep it and when I went to reschedule they told me the Portlaoise branch was closing and I would have to attend Newbridge. This was a bit of an inconvience but no big deal. In November I wanted to rebook my laser treatment for my legs. I was advised not to bother going through Groupon and just pay at the counter. Hubby decided to get this for me for Christmas and since he was doing that I put another 100 to it to get my face treated also. So basically I dropped 300 for one lousy treatment. If I had to go through Groupon I might be the guts of 300 better off at the moment. Thing is I am raging the damn treatment was working brilliantly and such good value for what I was getting. Probably in hindsight I should have smelt a rat, the treatments were forever on offer and that cannot be suistainable for a business. Just out of curiosity I paid 100 on my credit card last November and had one little treatment. Can I at least get that back or does anybody know if the new management will honour the existing vouchers????

• Advertisement

For the record, the last post was my wife. My legs never need lasering. The owner of the clinic has relocated to Canada and she's on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/daiva.poderiene. You can see in the about section she still has Laser Clinic as her work. If they were taking money up til christmas and then they shut down and she fecked off, is this a matter for the fraud squad?

Advertisement