Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport photos signed

Options
  • 03-02-2014 8:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Wondering if someone could help us. My partner has been trying to get passport photos signed for ages, for an Irish passport application. Neither the police nor a doctor will do it for her so far, seems to be a different ball game over here. I had to get a passport here a few years ago and there was a solicitors by the passport office in Knightsbridge that they sent me to, where they charged me a tenner. Does anyone know of this solicitors, or anywhere else she can get photos signed tomorrow? We need this ASAP for a trip next month! Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ldnboy87

I got mine signed in Holborn Police station on Theobalds road in Nov 2012. Might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

if that doesn't work, PM me. i've done plenty of those over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Any solicitor has to do it, I think it's £5.50 a photo. It's written into the law. Police won't do it anymore.

I wouldn't bother with the police. I tried them in Wimbledon and they said no, they used to do it but are not allowed anymore. Went to my banks who all said no, not unless I know you in person. One receptionist said sure, I'll do it for you, but when I returned with the forms someone else was on the desk and he said no dice.

Local solicitor did it for me eventually, though not all solicitors generally offer this service. PM me for the address if Wimbledon Broadway isn't too far for you. The going rate was £20 I think, though he only charged me a tenner as I've dealt with him before. He doesn't necessarily have to know you in person either.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I remember this hassle from when I lost my passport shortly after moving over.

In the end I got it signed by our CFO at work as he is qualified accountant. I had to put his business card along side the application as he didn't have his own stamp. If memory serves me correct that was as per some correspondence from the Irish consulate or embassy in London. I think I got the card stamped with the company stamp or something like that.

Anyway they accepted it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

any bank will do it

•Member of the Garda Síochána
    •Member of clergy
    •Medical doctor
    •Lawyer
    •Bank manager/assistant bank manager
    •Elected public representative
    •Notary public/ commissioner for oaths
    •Peace commissioner
    •School principal/vice principal
    •Accountant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

^
    My bank refused to do it even upon escalation to the manager!
    The Irish consulate will do it too.
    A right pain to get done here in the UK though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I got mine done in Romford police station. She was a bit hesitant as she was unaware of the procedure. I had my expired passport with me which proved my identity and also provided the reason for the new passport which she was satisfied with. I couldn't help but feel it was luck of the draw as to who was working the public window at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I had this fun recently. Just picked up the passport this morning actually. Tried a local school no joy. Tried a police station no joy. Ended up getting the guy who deals with me in the bank to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Think there's a discrepancy between the UK procedure and Irish procedure. For a UK passport, they have to know you at least two years but for the Irish they don't – it's just a case of being satisfied that the documents match the person standing in front of you.

That's why they're loath to do it over here (especially as I've been shocked at the amount of people i've met in well-qualified jobs who still think Irish passport = UK passport), except the cute solicitors who know the score and know they can charge because most other people will refuse them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Woden wrote: »
    I had this fun recently. Just picked up the passport this morning actually. Tried a local school no joy. Tried a police station no joy. Ended up getting the guy who deals with me in the bank to sort it out.

hey, how long did it take once you had the application handed in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Handed it on 13th January and there was attempted delivery 1st Feb. There was some people there I think with proof of flights looking for stuff to be expedited. So could perhaps bring that.

One thing I didn't know was I thought they where going to take my old one which still have 6 months on it and I'd be passport less in the meantime but they just photocopy it and hand it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was in the same boat, all be it in Edinburgh, thankfully I worked with a company that had a handful of fully qualified accountants, if youre partner is in the same boat it's a quick and free step!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it wouldn't do your case any harm to contact the irish embassy, and ask them about how to speed things up. they'll ask for proof of flights etc. make sure you get their name and send in a cover note to the attention of that name.

dear x, as per phone call.. yadda yadda

edit: if you're bringing it in person then this doesn't apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Lump wrote: »
    Any solicitor has to do it, I think it's £5.50 a photo. It's written into the law. Police won't do it anymore.

The Irish passport office won't do it.... even though they, you know, are the passport office.

Trust me, solicitor is the easiest way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Turns out a priest signed them in a nearby Church, you have to give a donation to the poor box, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BJlovesDC

Hi really need some ones help need to get a passport countersigned or a student finance form. have tried vicar, councillor, pub licensee, teacher, police, and doctor. its really important to me as without it i cant apply for student finance for my course. dont know if a solicitor would do it if they didnt know me- thanks for readingx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

BJlovesDC wrote: »
    Hi really need some ones help need to get a passport countersigned or a student finance form. have tried vicar, councillor, pub licensee, teacher, police, and doctor. its really important to me as without it i cant apply for student finance for my course. dont know if a solicitor would do it if they didnt know me- thanks for readingx

Solictor should do it, but for a fee.

Advertisement