Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting help if its called that...

Options
  • 03-02-2014 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone :)

I need someone to run a script for me. I wrote it to buy something online but my net isn`t fast enough. How would I get someone with good net to run it for me? Where would I look for someone, really I don`t think ireland has any internet good enough so someone elsewhere would be best They would have to be able to get it running too so they have some IT knowledge. Is there any services available to do this?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Weird request, but you could run it on Amazon EC2 for very little, just crank up a decent VM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

what are you trying to do exactly? why don`t you think ireland has any internet good enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Thanks just looking them up now and trying to understand how it would work. Why weird?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Your internet not being fast enough to run a script to buy something online is weird.

GoodBridge the best way to explain is that i`m trying to buy something and it is sold similarly to tickets - they go up on the website and are sold in about 3 seconds. Maybe the net in dublin might work sometimes but it seems to be the people from the countries with better net that are getting them every time. I wrote a script using java, selenium wedriver and eclipse to refresh and automatically buy but my net is far too slow, apparently the ping is the important thing. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3280252346

• Advertisement

^^ maybe i should have led with that because it may sound weird alright lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

Try to host your program in the same country and with the same host as the site it's trying to buy from. That way, your programs requests won't have to travel as far so will be quicker.

BTW, the internet in Ireland is pretty good. Companies like Google have some pretty big server farms here!

Thanks GoodBridge for the help. How would I find that info out? Also you need to use paypal to check out so would that make a difference? If its being hosted will i be able to access it all the time, I`ll need to run it again after a release?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

theg81der wrote: »
    GoodBridge the best way to explain is that i`m trying to buy something and it is sold similarly to tickets - they go up on the website and are sold in about 3 seconds. Maybe the net in dublin might work sometimes but it seems to be the people from the countries with better net that are getting them every time. I wrote a script using java, selenium wedriver and eclipse to refresh and automatically buy but my net is far too slow, apparently the ping is the important thing. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3280252346

That ping (26ms) really isn't that bad as a general ping, but as noted hosting the application in the same territory as the vendor's server(s) might be more efficient since your ping to the Speedtest may be better than to their server (greater distance travelled). Is it possible that this is the difference between you and the people succeeding rather than being "from the countries with better net", that they are simply closer to the sale?

Maybe so Cython, its a bit like ebay or amazon - a shop in a marketplace. So i need to look for a host in the netherlands then. I`m trying to understand how hosting works - is it like remote computing or cloud? I need selenium webdriver, java and eclipse to run my script i think (i`m sorry if thats incorrect I`m learning so be gentle) will they be available so its like cloud or will i have to set everything up on a computer there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Guys, hosting discussions are banned in the charter. This thread's on the line, but it's just to the wrong side of it. Sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement