Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theoretical physics and mathematics

Options
  • 03-02-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

hey everyone,

This particular course has caught my eye and I'd love to do it but I live in Galway and it would be a huge decision to attend here. So the course would have to be perfect.

I'd like to hear from someone who is in this course or has done it recently enough. Basically I want to know what the emphasis is on in the maths, I absolutely love calculus on leaving cert and find it a very interesting concept and basically all the applications of it interest me. Is it possible to avoid abstract type maths and to focus more on subjects such as calculus.

And a general question. I have heard a lot of crap of the uselessness of theoretical physics, where can I go with it after my degree? just in general

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

I'm not 100% sure about the course in Maynooth but I'm in 1st year TP in TCD and its very heavily maths based, abstract and applicable

As for the uselessness bit, i dont know where you got that information, but maths and physics graduates are highly sought after by employers and there are a wide range of jobs out there just waiting for you to pick them up once you get your degree. Most of them have high salaries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

EmcD123 wrote: »
    hey everyone,

This particular course has caught my eye and I'd love to do it but I live in Galway and it would be a huge decision to attend here. So the course would have to be perfect.

I'd like to hear from someone who is in this course or has done it recently enough. Basically I want to know what the emphasis is on in the maths, I absolutely love calculus on leaving cert and find it a very interesting concept and basically all the applications of it interest me. Is it possible to avoid abstract type maths and to focus more on subjects such as calculus.

And a general question. I have heard a lot of crap of the uselessness of theoretical physics, where can I go with it after my degree? just in general

thanks,

The course will be EXTREEMLY heavy in maths. (I mean that in a good way!). If it's the three year course you are talking about, here are the descriptions of the different maths modules:

http://www.maths.nuim.ie/ugprogrammedescriptions_science#MH206

You will do LOTS of calculus in first year and then it gets into abstract maths. While you may enjoy calculus, saying you only want to do calculus for your degree is a bit like saying you want to do a degree in long division.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shanobadur

I recently finished 1st Year in Maynooth and I studied the MH104 BA Mathematics degree (with maths physics as my arts subject). Though I didn't actually study theoretical physics (and I kinda wish I did at this moment), I was in each of their pure maths classes and 1 of their maths physics classes, and know the lads that are going into 2nd year theoretical physics well.
    So first off I'll go through semester 1, for pure maths you'll be studying integration, euclidean geometry and finite maths. Integration has changed on the leaving cert as of this year, and I'm not too familiar with the course change, however I believe substitution is no longer on the higher course. That's incredibly absurd in my mind but anyway this isn't the time to criticise the department of education's idiotic idea to introduce project maths. Integration in college builds on that for the leaving cert and with the old course there was only 1 or 2 extra topics that it would cover which are relatively easy to wrap your head around. Substitution is heavily featured in it but as you say you like calculus I'd say you'll be fine!
    Euclidean geometry is by far your easiest module this term, easy assignments with an easy exam (at least with my lecturer it was).
    Finite maths is the subject that you will dread most! This subject has to do with number theory, probability and complex numbers. The assignments just need a bit of figuring out but (even though you may not think it at the time) they are nice enough. The exam is moreso about not panicking in this subject. Our year got a tough probability question that threw me in the exam and I didn't do as well as I should
    In second semester you study analysis, linear algebra and multivariate calculus
    Multivariate calculus is gonna be your easiest module in 2nd semester and builds on integration and differentiation.
    Analysis has some tough assignment questions, but the exam is basically just about learning definitions and proofs. However I did think that I did particularly well in this exam and was disappointed with my result!
    Linear algebra ... Just brace yourself. That is all.

As for maths physics the only module I did with the TP students was vector calculus. This has a huge overlap with Multivariate calculus with 1 or 2 extra things thrown in. With maths physics it really helps doing your assignments and if you do them and keep on top of them you should be fine for the exam! All it is is practicing exam papers for this module.

You get an assignment off each maths module every other week, 2 one week and 1 the next e.g. Integration and geometry week 2 and finite maths week 3. For Vector calculus I'm pretty sure we got an assignment every week, but I think the other maths physics modules work like the pure maths ones. Finally continuous assessment is graded to the student's advantage ie if you get 100% in the exam and 0% in continuous assessment you get 100%. The CA is worth 20% in maths physics and 30% in pure maths.

If you have any other questions get back to me and I'll try to answer them as best I can! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

That sounds really awesome subject wise. As far as linear algebra goes I've started it already and was making good progress,I actually really like it as a subject. I've been doing the applied maths leaving cert course in my free time as well. But that course sounds like exactly what Im looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shanobadur

Yeah it's a really nice course and this year there was only 2 people in the course!
    You'll be in a class of around 20 people give or take.
    Ha well you have more dedication than me! :) It's not really the subject itself that's the problem, moreso the manner in which it's taught (proofs every second minute) and the questions asked on the exam and the assignments. Assignments for this will consume your time!
    Applied maths for the leaving cert won't really help you as far as maths physics in concerned in this course! It would be a huge help if you were doing maths physics from an arts perspective, but the stuff covered in this course basically presumes you did applied maths for the leaving cert and did well in it as they skip the basics.

If you get a B1 in leaving cert maths you're pretty much guaranteed into the course regardless of points, or so that's what we were told at the beginning of the year. The points are just the lowest points obtained by someone that got a B1 that chose to do the course! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 countryroads12

I studied some of the modules as TP students. thermal Physics is tough, expect some extremely hard assignments. Vibrations and Waves the assignments are difficult but its easy to pass. Electromag is easy and vector calculus, Assignments are easy same as exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

I am studying CSSE and I really want to pick Mathematical Physics as my arts subject. I am a mature student and a little nervous about picking it...

Have you any advice for someone like me ?? In school I was maybe just above average in Maths. Do you think being at that level its possible to do well in MP? I am also alot rustier nowadays... Any advice would much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Picasso711 wrote: »
    I am studying CSSE and I really want to pick Mathematical Physics as my arts subject. I am a mature student and a little nervous about picking it...

Have you any advice for someone like me ?? In school I was maybe just above average in Maths. Do you think being at that level its possible to do well in MP? I am also alot rustier nowadays... Any advice would much appreciated!!

If you have the interest, I think you should do it. Don't worry about ability. As long as your interested in learning it, you will do well.

I'm about to go into 2nd year Theoretical Physics in TCD. The workload's heavy, but that's mainly because of Lab work and the speed with which you go through the material. The subjects can be difficult at times, but once you get used to it, it's not too bad. But if you like it enough it doesn't even feel like studying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 countryroads12

As long as you know how to differentiate very basic functions i.e. f(x)= x^2 you should be fine. It is assumed no knowledge of physics and ordinary level maths. The hardest module would be vector calculus as it requires MP110 which you do along with it. If you know what vectors are, how to integrate basic functions and manipulate formulas, these are a strong advantage. But they teach you all that. Nice department to ask help also!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

Thanks guys for the replies :) really appreciate the positivity.. I have been giving a lot of taught and I am going to go ahead with it... Very excited :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement