Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught a mouse... are there always more?!

• 03-02-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hope I'm posting in the right place-

As per title- I had my suspicions there was a mouse in my wardrobe as I could hear rustling at night about two weeks ago so I went and bought traps,<snip>, the anti-rodent plugs (I know that the plugs were a bit late if I already had a mouse but just to prevent further infestations!) and set them all on Thursday- and this morning around 3am I caught a mouse-<snip>

I hate killing anything but I couldn't just ignore it obviously! I'm just wondering though, is there always more than one? I was off sick from work today and have been very quiet in my room but I haven't heard a thing and the other trap <snip> I set are undisturbed so it seems like there are no more... but should I expect that there are? Is that generally the case?

I'll keep the other traps <snip> out anyway just in case- I can't really see where it could have gotten in as it's upstairs- and if it came in the door maybe one day while I was outside, why did it go up to my bedroom as opposed to the kitchen where there'd be food? Is it a heat thing? I scrubbed & hoovered the room completely just in case there was any food at all like crumbs or anything even though there shouldn't be! Is there anything else I can do to keep them out/capture them?

Sorry about all the questions and apologies if I'm coming across as a total ditz but I've never had to deal with rodents before! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Yes there is. Usually start breeding around now too. I'd say you could have another 5. Maybe more.

Burn your house down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

As per our forum Charter only humane discussion of pest control is permitted. Poison is not one of them OP. Please be sensitive with further posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Yes there is. Usually start breeding around now too. I'd say you could have another 5. Maybe more.

Burn your house down.

Cool. Thanks for that.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    As per our forum Charter only humane discussion of pest control is permitted. Poison is not one of them OP. Please be sensitive with further posting.

Sorry, I didn't realise that at all :( As I said in my original post, I really hated doing it and I was just completely freaked out. I just never really hear of anyone using anything else but I definitely would welcome advice on anything I could do to get rid of them humanely- I'll have a look at the charter but if there is anything anyone would like to add here I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yes, there are generally more. Saw one in my house one day, and caught 15 within 48 hours.

IMO snap traps are the most humane way to deal with an infestation, when set properly death is instantaneous and they never know what hit them, but emptying the trap is gross. You can get catch-and-release traps but you'll have to travel quite a way to make sure they don't find their way back to your house, or your neighbours', and their chances of survival in an unfamiliar environment are poor. I've had good luck using a sonic repeller to keep them away after dealing with the initial influx, but YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

My parents were getting mice in the kitchen, so they got a snake skin from a pet shop in the area, and they keep it in the cupboard under the sink. Seems to work, no more mice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Not necessarily. We caught a mouse last January. It was on its own. Caught it overnight. We set more traps throughout the room but nothing ever turned up.

In our previous home we had a mouse. Yet again it was on its own. A little bugger to catch too.

I've probably jinxed myself now.

Advertisement