Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full time job and freelancing

Options
  • 03-02-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

This has probably been covered before but I have a couple of questions.

I work full time and I want to do some freelancing in the evenings.

Do I have to register as a sole trader? Is it difficult?

Can I claim expenses?

Also I was unemployed for a while so are there any tax rebates or the likes I can avail of just to get me started.

Any other tips/advice appreciated here. It can be a tad overwhelming!

Thanks
    P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Check your employment contract as you may well be in breach of it if you moonlight, especially if your freelance work is related to day job.
    Do I have to register as a sole trader? Is it difficult?
    Don't think so. You just have to declare and pay tax on your earnings once a year. You might want to speak to an accountant with regards to that.
    Can I claim expenses?
    You should be able to, although expenses have been tightened up a lot since I freelanced in Ireland. You might want to speak to an accountant with regards to that.
    Also I was unemployed for a while so are there any tax rebates or the likes I can avail of just to get me started.
    You might be eligible for rebates. Or not. Honestly, someone would have to go through your income and expenses for the last few years to see if you qualify for any.
    Any other tips/advice appreciated here. It can be a tad overwhelming!
    Getting a once off nixer on the side is one thing. Freelancing full-time is another. As a full time role, it can be very rewarding, but only if you can sell your services and keep that work pipline full - there's no manager putting work on your desk, every Monday morning, when you're self-employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

I did that - full time job and freelancing on the side - and ended up using a limited company. Definitely speak with an accountant about what is appropriate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 ejohnl

You might want to check out other freelance sites like Odesk and Elance, these sites are best for contract jobs/short term projects.
    However, if you need both part time and full time jobs, Staff.com is the perfect site to look into. They have clients from all over the world, basically a worth it site for job seekers.

Advertisement