Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mould

• 03-02-2014 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Guys I'm wondering if anyone can advise me. There is mould on our bedroom walls and en suite. No matter how much Icclean it comes back always. I've no extractor fan in En suite and no radiator in it. It's very cold in it And I always leave window open during and after shower. However Room is full of black mould which has travelled to bedroom. What will I do? Do I get expert in? Cann someone advise me of exactly wat to do? Very frustrated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ok are you renting or do you own this property ?

If renting tell your landlord to sort it as mould is a health risk or you will be moving out.

You should have a source of heat in every room, including en-suite.

What is the ventilation in the room like, is there a wall vent or window vents ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jasx

Hi Andy,

Had a similar problem; mould in ensuite eventually travelling to bedroom.

Reason for this: warm moist air reaching a cold surface, left over a period provides ideal conditions for mould growth.

Solution: as per previous post contact the Landlord!
    However - make sure the following is dealt with:

Spray the area with anti-fungacidal wash (available in all hardware stores), wait a few mins as directed by the manufacturers guidelines and wipe clean with a cloth (dispose of this immediately!) Mould is a nasty bugger to get rid of, even if the conditions that allowed it to thrive are removed it will contiune to survive and even develop further. dont ever wipe without spraying first - you will just spread the mould spores even further and make them airborne.

Following this you need to ensure that some form of heating is provided as previously suggested - i put in a small towel rad taken of the hot water supply (not ideal but solved this problem). Surfaces need to be kept above 15degrees to minimise condensation risk

Next ensure adequate ventilation - should be an extract in this room with overrun facility, but failing that keep windows open during showering (and a maybe 10-15mins afterwards)

once all thats done redecorate and hopefully you should remain mould free!

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭andylennon11

Thanks guys. I suffer very badly with my sinuses and feel this is the reason. I'm not renting, I own the house. I would love to get radiator put into the en suite.. It's tiny and would be easy to heat but I'm not in the position financially to do so. I'd say it would cost a lot. I would also love get fan extractor put in. Are these costly things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Thanks guys. I suffer very badly with my sinuses and feel this is the reason. I'm not renting, I own the house. I would love to get radiator put into the en suite.. It's tiny and would be easy to heat but I'm not in the position financially to do so. I'd say it would cost a lot. I would also love get fan extractor put in. Are these costly things?
    Putting a radiator in might not be too costly, but a lot of people would install an electric fan heater that are designed for bathrooms, as a cheap solution. You can turn it on 10 or 15 mins before you use the bathroom and leave it run 10 or 15 mins after your down with it . It will be cheap to install but dearer to run than a radiator off the heating so you will need to decide which one yourself.

The radiator would be my preffered option though as it would heat the bathroom anytime the heating is on and help keep mould at bay.

Painting the bathroom with the correct paint can also help, dulux and others have paint especially designed for high humidity areas such as bathrooms, and it is expensive but I have used it and if you follow the preparation instructions and apply the coats as it tells you it works well.

Also if there is an attic space above the bathroom/bedroom check that there isn't any leak in the roof that is making the ceiling damp above that area. Also check what the insulation is like above that area.

Honestly now mould affects sinus , and if its affecting your sinus it can trigger a severe allergic reaction and cause your throat to close up, I was unfortunate enough to of experienced this once, and im not allergic to anything in particular.
    Do you experience a runny nose, or a tickle in the back of your throat ? these are other signs that the mould if affecting you. Mould can actually kill you believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

The conditions you are living in are extremely dangerous and can cause life long problems. I know because I almost died from living in a house with mould! I'm now living somewhere else but the effects of what it (mould) triggered still bother me on a daily basis.
    Buy/hire industrial dehumidifier to get the moisture content down. Run the dehumidifier for a few hours after a shower etc.
    Are you drying clothes indoors by any chance? Lots of house plants?
    Leaks? Bad seals on windows?
    All of this needs to be addressed.
    My consultant in the hospital told me that mould can out-of-the-blue turn a healthy person like I was & kill them..depending on mould levels. Be careful is all i will say. And good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

wash with bleach,watch your carpets it will stain them

get the moisture out of bathroom and kitchen

insulate attic

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/stories/how-to-prevent-mold-9-tips

• Registered Users Posts: 23 frankmulveen

Hello, I live in a bungalow which was built in the 60s. There has never been a problem with mould in the past. 2 years ago we had the walls pumped with insulation and had extra insulation laid in the attic. Sometime later black patches started to appear on the ceiling in one bedroom. Then in another room, and another. The small kitchen area is particularly bad and coming down the wall. I am in the process of treating it with bleach/mould removal products however I would like to know if the attic insulation has had anything to do with the mould formation. Any help would greatly be appreciated as I need to eliminate the cause. Many Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

you have changed the dynamics of the building by having the walls pumped and attic insulation installed you have reduced the amount of air infiltration through these elements, without this air leakage you do not have enough ventilation in the house.this leads to higher humidity levels and the moisture condenses on the coldest sections of the house. usually at junctions of wall and ceilings where it was difficult to add the same amount of insulation . you need to check that all room vents are clear of obstructions and open and that bathroom vents are working properly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I find dehumidifiers are more effective than heaters in removing mould. Seal up the en suite, leave the dehumidifer running and use the other bathroom exclusively for a week or two and the spread of mould will stop.

Then spray the walls down with fungicide, and spray them down at the end of each day

Advertisement