Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernese mountain dog.

• 03-02-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Can anyone point me in the direction of getting a bitch bernese mountain pup? Any suggestions what to look for when choosing our pup?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Gemmamc wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of getting a bitch bernese mountain pup? Any suggestions what to look for when choosing our pup?

Don't know much about the breed but I'll say one thing with a dog that size... Research the breed and the breeder. Contact the IKC for 'reputable' breeders. Do not, please DO NOT buy from a backyard breeder or Done Deal.

And finally, as someone who is picking up their second dog this weekend... Be prepared to (a) wait, and (b) pay extra, for the right dog! The past 12 months wait will have been worth it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They come with a lot of health problems, including hip and elbow dysplasia. There is also a very high incidence of cancer in the breed. Be very, very careful where you source your pup and don't take reassurances as fact - look for genuine evidence of health testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gemmamc

I have seen one which is actually in done deal it states that it is ikc registered do you not think i shuld consider it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

We've had two posters on here in the past month with Bernese dogs which had significant health problems, in both cases these health problems cost them dearly, financially and otherwise.
    Bernese have become a bit trendy lately, which always means they start attracting cowboy breeders. And you're more likely to find a cowboy breeder on Done Deal.
    Whilst you'll get the occasional anomaly, the chances of sourcing a decent breeder on Done Deal are pretty small, you'd really want to know what you're looking for, and you'd really want to know your genetic lines. If you go in unprepared, you're just playing Russian Roulette.
    The Bernese Mountain Dog Club would be a great starting point,as is any breed society. We had a poster here lately who had difficulty contacting them, but eventually did, and seemed happy that they were a good club who are fussy enough that their members are breeding for the good of the dogs, not for profit. And that's what sets contacting the breed club apart from choosing one from Done Deal. The risk is far less, and if things do go belly-up, the chances of recourse are far better.
    Buy in haste, repent at leisure, OP. I cannot emphasise that enough when it comes to buying a dog. :o

http://www.berneseclubireland.com/

PS PLEASE don't use IKC registration as any indication of quality OP. It is merely a registration system, not a quality control system. There is nothing to stop anyone buying two unhealthy, ill-bred, nasty-of-temperament dogs who are IKC registered, and breeding more unhealthy, ill-bred, nasty-of-temperament puppies... all of which can be IKC registered too, because their parents are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sive1281

Whether the dog is IKC registered or not is absolutely irrelevant. The IKC have no requirements on mandatory health checks on breeding. So they condone dogs with terrible hips, elbows and numerous other health problems being bred. They don't carry out any checks on these dogs, just print a piece of paper to give parentage of the dog and thats it. Once they get their registration money then nothing else matters to them. Having IKC paperwork is a waste of time and money and will tell you nothing about the health and tempermant of the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

IKC reg means nothing but showing the lineage of the dog, thats it. It guarantees nothing. You need to do your research into this breed and go with reputable breeders, which wont be on donedeal.

Do not and i mean DO NOT go near a breeder that doesnt health test, ie Hip Scores. Both parents of the pup must be hip scored and with satisfying results. Make sure you see the health test certs of both parents. Any reputable breeder will be happy to show you all of this paperwork.

I cannot stress how important this tests are when buying a dog like this so please please make sure you go the right route.

Advertisement