Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portable audio gear for fussy metal listener

• 04-02-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, bit of a newbie(ish) to portable high quality audio stuff (been concentrating on assembling a full hi fi mostly til now). I've had a Sony nw639f mp3 player for years now and love it but I've been contemplating both earphone/IEM upgrade and possibly a FLAC player like the FiiO x3. I'm essentially wondering what is going to get me the most noticeable improvement in my listening for in and around €300 if needed. I've been going between just getting headphones and not spending much of the budget at all as my player is pretty decent to wanting to get the full whack of new headphones with FLAC quality.
    I listen to probably 90% metal music (from straight forward mid tempo stuff like Maiden and Priest to full speed ahead extreme like Absu, Immortal, Deicide for those who know that kinda stuff) which would probably impact my earphone choices mostly. I've been scouring head-fi the last few days but there's almost too much info there to make sense of. I have been reading that Soundmagic E30s are great for the fast punchy bass, and biting electric guitars of metal. Anyway, any opinions or recommendations would be welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Main issue I find is a lot of gear emphasis'es the bass and cuts the mids. (V profile EQ) If you are interested in the guitars especially with older stuff they (IMO) tend to be in the mids and you lose them if something has their mids cut. So when checking out reviews look for that. Maybe you're a basshead though.

I seem to remember that the nw639f has a "Sony" sound, which is a bit warmer than non Sony players. I think it suits rock myself. But if you change player you might need to adjust to a more neutral sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I have Sennheiser HD 25 ii and I listen to a lot of rock and metal and it'll be hard to find better headphones for Rock and Metal in the price rage IMO. I'm no expert i've only tried a handful of headphones over the years but I've spoken to a few people and they seem to share my view and I'm quite happy with my choice

Advertisement