Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I just recorded 101.9 km/h at 8:03pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Here we go again lol

62363_10152209687946718_1836983522_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Closing in on sustained storm @ DL

Wind Speed: 45.9 kts (F: 9 )
    Gust Speed: 64.3 kts (F: 12 )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Looks like minor flooding at the moment but not high tide yet.

Bfp85_KIIAAxX2L.jpg

That looks like it will be quite bad by the time we reach high tide. I work on Fr. Mathew Quay so I guess we'll be mopping up in the morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Cork water height

http://77.74.50.157/cfw/Home.aspx

The tide has reached 5 meters at maltings and the website says "A reading of above 5.0 m at this station is associated with more significant flooding at the eastern end of Oliver Plunket Street and may spread to other areas as the water rises."

04 Feb Update

Estimated time of high water at Lee Maltings 21:08

Estimated max water level ~ 5.4m (local datum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

Stay safe everyone, don't underestimate the power of the storm, feel really sorry for anyone having to be out in it tonight, emergency services and ESB crews. Their more or less risking their lives by just doing their jobs tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Tough drive on M8 & M7 from Cork to Dublin. Worst from Cork to Thurles & then from Citywest on. Rain the whole way, very strong crosswinds Cork to Fermoy (but obviously 3hrs ago), not as bad from Porlaoise to Citywest

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Very strong winds here in Waterford City. Could anyone advise if this has peaked for the south east?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Dun Laoighre is getting hammered and I'm on the foothills of the mountains near Glencullen, facing north, and its not too bad out at all. Weather station reporting <10kmh.

(The weather station is on the west side of an apartment block and utterly shielded from southeast winds)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

Clamball wrote: »
    http://77.74.50.157/cfw/

This is live data of tides and water levels in Cork City

Over the top,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

zoomaway wrote: »
    Global warming is hogwash imo.

More like global wetning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Diceyd, where did you see the word abs?

My guess is that it was used as short form for absolutely. Would that fit the context?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Getting hammered in D4 at the moment, it seems a lot worse here than Stephens night. What time are peak winds expected at?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

My guess is that it was used as short form for absolutely. Would that fit the context?

I was wondering that, then I thought it might have been anti lock brakes to do with stopping in the wet weather

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Looks like the SE and S are in darkness

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

a post from earlier,now that i think about it that makes sense,thanks mt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Some very strong gusts here, getting hammered. Peak should be in an hour or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Would it be pressure - my weather station shows "abs" for absolute pressure and "rel" for relative pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Winds really picking up in Mayo, Ballinrobe and some surrounding areas are without power now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Rain coming down in buckets here in Rochestown. Great night to be inside by the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

leahyl wrote: »
    Abs shocking in Cork City

I think this explains it? Post number 159...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phillo65

diceyd wrote: »
    im trying to learn more about the weather,i read the every day to see what the guys are talking about and their views,no need to make a fool out of me

I also read this forum regularly and learn a bit as I go along.I think it was just a bit of humour on behalf of the poster and not intended to make a fool out of anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lights flickered and HUGE clap of thunder just now!!

Btw this big discussion about "abs" was prob me - used an abbreviation for absolutely earlier....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭brevity

Pretty bad on the Douglas Road....heavy wind and rain...flights flickered as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

thunder & lightning cork city south. rain very heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Wind still increasing in strength here - just north of Wexford town. This is the strongest we've had this winter.

Just heard the crack of a tree somewhere near us.

Nice night to be living in a caravan, albeit in the shelter of our nearly-finished house.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

leahyl wrote: »
    Abs shocking in Cork City

I read it here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest update DL.

Sustained level steadily increasing.

Wind Speed: 46.4 kts (F: 9 )
    Gust Speed: 64.3 kts (F: 12 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Let's get rid of this October/November sh*t. This is February and we should be getting February weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Lashing down in Cork. Lights flickered and big thundery boom a few minutes ago.

Advertisement