Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is asking for trouble but I'm amazed the power hasn't so much as flickered throughout this winter where I am.

hello? any one got a match? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yup back to Gust Speed: 66.5 kts (F: 12 ) at DL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

While the winds are not nearly as bad as say St Stephen's day, they are certainly very bad for February (a month one does not associate at all with wind). Now, the rain (something associated with every month in Ireland!!) is also exceptionally bad but no surprises here as this is common in any month as said. The flooding is terrible and I guess living near a river or the sea is a nightmare at present. The wrong timing of a combined of 3 or more of wind, rain, high tides, being in a hollow and poor drainage can all play havoc.

I am unsure what is the cause of the current poor weather conditions. Sometimes, following up a prolonged spell of good weather, you get nasty weather like this. A summary of the recent years and trends:

2010: started out cold continuing a trend of cold weather commencing in December of the previous year. January very cold with some snow, things picked up in February and March somewhat. Late March/early April was very wintry. Some hot weather late April into May. An ok summer with a fair share of sunshine but some rain often as well. September also was nice. October was blustery, wet and miserable. Then, November got cold with freak snows coming on the 27th that would last until after Christmas. Very very cold, with -10 common.
    2011: January and February were exceptionally mild and saw a mix of wet or foggy weather and sunshine. March and April were like summer. May saw some nice and some wet conditions. The summer was overall quite poor but there were some nice periods. September followed suit. The late autumn and winter featured some wet weather and also some dry weather and no extremes of wind, snow or cold.
    2012: January, February and March more or less followed suit. Mild, no extremes. Late March saw a week of very summer like conditions. April was bitter and May was not much better. The summer was very poor overall, with prolonged rain or showery, blustery conditions predominating. Some sunshine between the showers and the odd fine day. September was nice. The winter months again showed no temperature, wind or snow extremes.
    2013/14: January-early March were mild with no extremes. Later March saw cold and snow, April and early May saw cold weather for the time of year. Late May to August was our best summer since 2003, while September was poorer than usual with more rain. October to early December saw mainly mild, dry weather. From mid December onwards has seen severe storms, prolonged rain, cold blustery conditions and the odd snow shower but is often milder. Overall, apart from the odd wintry shower, this period feels more autumn than winter/early spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Quality a fairly bad, taken on a phone on howth pier. Higher up to hear the wind, was nearly taken off my feet.

Shortly after the video was taken the power went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nodnod

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/70hPa/orthographic=-3.40,52.52,3000

A supercomputer-powered Web site project sporting the humble name "earth" is a fascinating look at global weather patterns. It comes from software developer Cameron Beccario and it will suck you into a world full of weather-induced curves and swirls viewable at different levels in the atmosphere.
    The globe, with its animated lines of colorful wind patterns, can be rotated and zoomed to get in close on a particular location. The closer you click, the more surreal it gets, until the wind looks like some hairy alien growing across your state.
    ry out the different heights and overlay options (like temperature) and watch weather patterns around the world meld into each other and connect across continents.
    The visualization of global weather conditions is generated by supercomputers, with the forecast being updated every three hours.
    It's especially fun to check in on the site when unusual patterns like the polar vortex pop up

Click on earth icon for more choices

white being very fast

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The Barometer gets lower as we near the center of the depression in North Kerry , now at 952.9mb Falling rapidly. Wind has eased considerably to an avg. of 21 km/h, gust earlier of 82 km/h, very heavy rain at times, total now measuring 15mm.

Temp 6.9C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I presume all of this will have passed by the morning, will it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

nodnod wrote: »
    http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/70hPa/orthographic=-3.40,52.52,3000

A supercomputer-powered Web site project sporting the humble name "earth" is a fascinating look at global weather patterns. It comes from software developer Cameron Beccario and it will suck you into a world full of weather-induced curves and swirls viewable at different levels in the atmosphere.
    The globe, with its animated lines of colorful wind patterns, can be rotated and zoomed to get in close on a particular location. The closer you click, the more surreal it gets, until the wind looks like some hairy alien growing across your state.
    ry out the different heights and overlay options (like temperature) and watch weather patterns around the world meld into each other and connect across continents.
    The visualization of global weather conditions is generated by supercomputers, with the forecast being updated every three hours.
    It's especially fun to check in on the site when unusual patterns like the polar vortex pop up

Click on earth icon for more choices

white being very fast

I don't mean to be rude but this link has been constantly plugged on this forum for the last number of months and mostly by newbie members too! Okay nice tool, we get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Outside The Bullman pub Kinsale, Cork. Part of the wall and road has collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Well I must say that has been one of the worst storms to hit Tramore in a long long time.

Was great to see the waves though! Nice few flashes of lightning and a little bit of thunder as well.

Here are a small few photos of tonight however I will post videos as soon as I can.

ZxgBKE3l.jpg

YXVqBABl.jpg

Acnybuel.jpg

AOBd9VYl.jpg

ZNJG4i8l.jpg

lGVbHgPl.jpg

NxJnB4yl.jpg

Will have videos up asap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Poor electric thingy-ma-yokey. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Very windy here in Ashtown in Dublin 15. Staying in the girlfriends apartment and there are 3 double power sockets in her room. The wind is blowing through all 3 sockets into the room. Never seen the likes of it. Cowboys Ted:eek: !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Some decent low pressure readings in the 11pm M.E. reports.

Valentia 952 mb
    Sherkin Island 953
    Cork Airport & Roches Point 957
    Shannon Airport 958

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Power just gone now. Just outside Dunmore East. Wind seems to be picking up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

TV/internet (UPC) cut out here. Not sure if weather related.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Supposed to be driving to Westport in the morning leaving Dublin at 6:30am. Good or bad idea to drive ? Will the weather have eased

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

you wont have much problems driving to Westport in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Supposed to be driving to Westport in the morning leaving Dublin at 6:30am. Good or bad idea to drive ? Will the weather have eased

It's supposed to remain fairly bad until 9am or thereabouts. I'd only make a trip if completely necessary, coast of Mayo got hit pretty bad I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Nothing exciting over here in Mayo, getting out of Dublin will probably be the worst part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Vincent browne went live to cork there but weather took the link out! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Raining heavily on the northside of cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Thanks I'll see how it is in the morning before I chance it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

The Barometer gets lower as we near the center of the depression in North Kerry , now at 952.9mb Falling rapidly. Wind has eased considerably to an avg. of 21 km/h, gust earlier of 82 km/h, very heavy rain at times, total now measuring 15mm.

Temp 6.9C

No wonder it was so quiet here in Tralee. I walked to my local an hour ago and it was clear skies and not a gust of wind. Just started to rain again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Wind has been rising for the last few hours in Cork harbour and is now pretty much as bad as earlier with a sustained 35 - 40 knots (65 - 75 km/h); gusts are not yet as strong as earlier, currently topping out at approx 50 knots (95 km/h) - about 10 knots (19 km/h) lower than earlier. Rain picking up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,286 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Covering gone off the garden furniture, that's the 1st time that's happened all winter. Dublin Airport still recording the highest gusts @ 53knts (apart from Malin Head @54 knts), nothing exceptional but with the direction of the wind & rain it's wild here on the coast tonight.

Some severe flood warnings for UK in the morning

6BHicS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

In general, expect winds to subside gradually all through the west as the centre of low pressure drifts ashore in Kerry and takes most of tomorrow to move northeast to around north Leinster while weakening -- this will produce a rather lengthy period of slack or even calm winds near the centre, while the southeast remains somewhat on the windy side and the wind direction veers to southwest. By afternoon a moderate westerly will develop across most of the western counties and will spread across the south coast by evening, reaching Dublin overnight. Gusts to about 80 km/hr with that second phase of the storm.

I would expect wind speeds in Dublin to remain about where they are now for several more hours give or take 5-10 knots then they should fall off during the morning commute period reaching their lowest values by mid-day to early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nodnod

I don't mean to be rude but this link has been constantly plugged on this forum for the last number of months and mostly by newbie members too! Okay nice tool, we get it!

I have no link or dealings withe website,

It just shows how severe the wind at this present time over Ireland. I thought this post high risk weather ireland , it would be good to show a visual of the weather to new boards weather fans, This web post is not for old members but for all boards users and to let you know I have posted many times on this forum to give important weather information !

remember information is key when dangerous weather is about .

All I am promoting is the weather technology available to the public.

I have no involvement with the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Belting hailstones now in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Belting hailstones now in Cork.

If my WS is right [:)] we've had 27mm last 24 hrs.

Advertisement