Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Few more pics of Tramore, Co.Waterford :) And a video...

Vg6PL5fl.jpg

o9t4kpel.png

eppy42fl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Nothing happening in Clare :( I'm going to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

nodnod wrote: »
    I have no link or dealings withe website,

It just shows how severe the wind at this present time over Ireland. I thought this post high risk weather ireland , it would be good to show a visual of the weather to new boards weather fans, This web post is not for old members but for all boards users and to let you know I have posted many times on this forum to give important weather information !

remember information is key when dangerous weather is about .

All I am promoting is the weather technology available to the public.

I have no involvement with the site.

I think the insinuation was more that unless you're new to this board, everyone here is very familiar with that site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Pressure just hit 960.8hpa which is a station record low. Previous lowest was 961.2 hpa in November 2010.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

I don't mean to be rude but this link has been constantly plugged on this forum for the last number of months and mostly by newbie members too! Okay nice tool, we get it!

As good a tool it is, I heard the guy who made it took(stole) the idea from here which is the original:

http://hint.fm/wind/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

sully2010 wrote: »
    As good a tool it is, I heard the guy who made it took(stole) the idea from here which is the original:

http://hint.fm/wind/

That one only seems to cover the states though? I don't think it can be classed as stealing the idea if he makes a much improved version that serves a much larger area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

UPDATE _ 0300h

While some flooded areas may remain hazardous, the rest of the current storm event will generally fall below alert levels or low end of level one, meanwhile, we need to start assessing the prospects for Saturday's storm. I will perhaps post a few thoughts on that after 0600h.

Note, have edited thread title but can't access the part of the title that contains the colour-coded level, so have alerted moderators and the title will soon change to Level One, slight risk. The Saturday event could be a level two but until we get closer to the event, we will stay on level one, or even drop that if the Saturday event drops in strength on future model runs.

Thanks for some excellent videos and reports on Tuesday's events in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some potential for a major storm into western France early next week.

The Saturday storm has stopped its southward drift on the models and consensus now shows it coming inland over Clare then tracking northeast. This would return very strong winds to the south coast as central pressures are quite low, in the range of 945-950 mb on all model guidance. For now this is just a theoretical assessment, the system in question is already an active low over West Virginia that is dropping 10-20 cm snowfalls north of its track and freezing rain along the track. This low is not bringing very much warm air north in contrast to most of the last several.

For now I am suggesting staying on level one although if these model forecasts verified we would have a level 2 event Friday night in the southwest.

Hopefully we will get this title thread re-set soon to Level One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Looks like a PV lobe is going to set up shop right over Ireland and the UK for the next week, a complex and messy setup so always potential for strong wind events popping up at short notice. High tides seem to get lower as the week goes on though so hopefully coastal flooding won't be an issue again

• Advertisement

Yep, a nice settled spell would be very welcome even as far away as where I am, getting a bit tired of so many storms almost every other day ... thread title should be fixed up soon, I see we have the level adjusted.

Will be off now until 1700h or possibly later then catching up with your assessments of the Saturday potential. The models have been pretty reliable on most of these events but sooner or later one is going to do something totally unexpected, perhaps. Every winter seems to produce one or two storms that take a sharp southward jog about 72h before the event, I have to wonder if this one might since it is not gathering a lot of warm air on its journey through the eastern U.S.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not too windy here this morning but very wet. 10.3mm since midnight/31.8mm since yesterday afternoon. River flooding could become an issue in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Check out the Suir overflowing in Clonmel. More heavy rain on Friday/Saturday is not good at all.

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/ireland/Suir/Clonmel/
    KCLR 96FM ‏@kclr96fm 12m

Water levels in Burrin, Barrow and Slaney rivers all critical this morning according to #Carlow local authorities

140205_0000_72.png

ECM show more lows heading our way after this in FI too...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest 6z has the high winds brushing the southern coasts Sat AM, some small movement further north and could take a full hit.

Rtavn729.png

Latest 6z has the high winds brushing the southern coasts Sat AM, some small movement further north and could take a full hit.

Rtavn729.png

Yeah, would be stronger than yesterday on the southwest coast if that verified. Though it's a more typical angle of attack.

78-289UK.GIF?05-6

This is the bigger problem though...

63-574UK.GIF?05-6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

What is the situation with the expected storm on Fri/Sat? Is it still expected to be a big one?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Yeah, would be stronger than yesterday on the southwest coast if that verified. Though it's a more typical angle of attack.

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2014020506/78-289UK.GIF?05-6

http://modeles2.meteociel.fr/modeles_gfs/runs/2014020506/63-574UK.GIF?05-6

Sky news briefly mentioned it earlier,they had it tracking from the South and impacting on Southern England moreso than us,as you say all that could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

Yesterdays wind speeds in West Cork.
    Winds measured @ 2m.
    Peak Gust of 103kph @ 16:45

292411.png
    2014-02-05 10:45:20.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Ireland - Peak gusts [mph]
    February 05, 2014
    0 North - South 0 West - East 0 A - Z 0 Max - Min 0 Altitude

Stations: 11 Gusts
    Sherkin (21 m) 65 mph
    Malin Head (25 m) 63 mph
    Dublin Airport (85 m) 50 mph
    Dublin Csmt Aero (93 m) 49 mph
    Johnstown Castle (53 m) 47 mph
    Cork-Corcaigh (162 m) 45 mph
    Ireland West Airport Knock (209 m) 42 mph
    Mace Head (23 m) 42 mph
    Valentia (30 m) 42 mph
    Oak Park (63 m) 40 mph
    Roches Point (41 m) 29 mph

Ireland - Peak gusts [mph]
    February 04, 2014
    0 North - South 0 West - East 0 A - Z 0 Max - Min 0 Altitude

Stations: 14 Gusts
    Sherkin (21 m) 74 mph
    Cork-Corcaigh (162 m) 67 mph
    Malin Head (25 m) 63 mph
    Johnstown Castle (53 m) 58 mph
    Mace Head (23 m) 58 mph
    Dublin Csmt Aero (93 m) 56 mph
    Valentia (30 m) 56 mph
    Dublin Airport (85 m) 55 mph
    Ireland West Airport Knock (209 m) 53 mph
    Oak Park (63 m) 53 mph
    Shannon (20 m) 49 mph
    Belmullet (10 m) 45 mph
    Ballyhaise (79 m) 45 mph
    Roches Point (41 m) 35 mph

Sourced www.weatheronline.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

63-574UK.GIF?05-6

Does that say 10mm of snow in West Galway on Friday?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

No, it's rain within a 3 hour period

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Does that say 10mm of snow in West Galway on Friday?

Rain, I thinkz. I believe the dashed lines at Scotland may be the snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A station record 955.5 hPa pressure reading recorded overnight beating the previous low of 961.2 in November 2010. How long will the new record last? Maybe not too long ;)

A station record 955.5 hPa pressure reading recorded overnight beating the previous low of 961.2 in November 2010. How long will the new record last? Maybe not too long ;)

The record February pressure for anywhere in Ireland in 942.3 since records began. That could be broken on Saturday.

nmmuk-2-72-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Is it fair to say that the current forecasts are showing a slight trend to bring this next storm further north with worsening impacts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

thanks to everyone for all your views and input yesterday and last night,cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Thanks for posting. That if nothing else should teach everyone a lesson. Never lose respect for the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Next storm on Friday/ Saturday causing headaches I'd say in Met Eireann - track is differing run to run depending on what model you look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Advertisement