Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This video of the storm at Tramore last night was shared by 'Jonny Sinnot' on IWO. Not sure if it was posted already on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC2MEZxZNbw#t=64

New Moon

leahyl wrote: »
    Unbelievable stupidity

There seems to be a strange phenomena lately of calling those people who like to face the weather head on 'stupid'. Not sure what that is about but interesting. Seems to be more of a craze rather than from stemming from any genuine concern.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Don't see the problem with people getting up close to the sea during a storm. There's no better thrill than experiencing the rath of mother nature.

So long has people take care and don't behave too carelessly, why should we criticize them and not storm chases, people who go out in the snow in cars for the sake of seeing snow etc.

Life can be far too short to not do anything because it can be a bit dangerous. Once you have your wits about you, it's unlikely that anything bad will happen. For the amount of people that would go witness sea waves etc, there is huge difference between number of enjoying and number of dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

John.Icy wrote: »
    Don't see the problem with people getting up close to the sea during a storm. There's no better thrill than experiencing the rath of mother nature.

So long has people take care and don't behave too carelessly, why should we criticize them and not storm chases, people who go out in the snow in cars for the sake of seeing snow etc.

Life can be far too short to not do anything because it can be a bit dangerous. Once you have your wits about you, it's unlikely that anything bad will happen. For the amount of people that would go witness sea waves etc, there is huge difference between number of enjoying and number of dying.

If those comments also refer to the woman on the wall in Tramore or the father with two children in Bullock Harbour then I'm baffled how you could not describe that as 'stupid', 'reckless' 'irresponsible' or words to that effect. In both cases they had zero protection from being swept into the sea and in both cases the power of the wave easily knocked them over

Completely agree there is a thrill in watching the power of the ocean and I've done it several times myself over the past few weeks but there's a huge difference between standing from a distance, observing from a height, ensuring there's a substantial barrier between you & the ocean and the 2 examples above where that was clearly not the case

I personally would also not like to justify one loss of life so long as the vast majority were enjoying themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    There seems to be a strange phenomena lately of calling those people who like to face the weather head on 'stupid'. Not sure what that is about but interesting. Seems to be more of a craze rather than from stemming from any genuine concern.

Yeah the worst that could happen is that she'd get knocked over and bang her head (which happened) and the scruffy dog gets wet. All her own fault. That wave was not going to take her out to sea.

She is fairly brutal at "reading" the signs so I would give her an F for storm chasing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Steopo wrote: »
    I personally would also not like to justify one loss of life so long as the vast majority were enjoying themselves

:confused:
    Mutually exclusive no?
    Would you suggest banning it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pretty much calm here now but I see Kinsale platform reporting Violent Storm 11 sustained winds (104kmh) gusting to 124kmh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Pretty much calm here now but I see Kinsale platform reporting Violent Storm 11 sustained winds (104kmh) gusting to 124kmh.
    getting very windy again in Arklow,howling.Was calm up until recently.
    I'm away from the station so can't give a figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Still bloody raining..... Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

Whats the forecast for this evening as winds picking up again in Cork City South?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

So is it looking like a repeat of last night for Saturday? Heading out for birthday bash so watching this thread like an eagle eyed hawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

If those comments also refer to the woman on the wall in Tramore or the father with two children in Bullock Harbour then I'm baffled how you could not describe that as 'stupid', 'reckless' 'irresponsible' or words to that effect. In both cases they had zero protection from being swept into the sea and in both cases the power of the wave easily knocked them over

Completely agree there is a thrill in watching the power of the ocean and I've done it several times myself over the past few weeks but there's a huge difference between standing from a distance, observing from a height, ensuring there's a substantial barrier between you & the ocean and the 2 examples above where that was clearly not the case

I had not watched said video you reference, my post was more in response to the general ''bah idiots'' response nearly every video put up gets these days. Of course people take it too far but most of the time people go out with an edge of caution about themselves. And no of course I don't justify a death since most don't die, my point was more along the lines of that for the bunch of idiots there always called, most people in any of the videos since Stephens day have come away unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS still keeps the worst of the winds off the south coast on Saturday. 110-120 km/h gusts for the exposed southwest coasts, would be a little stronger than yesterday but it's more limited to areas near the coast.

A minor track shift north would bring stronger winds. Of course it could also shift further south.

Whatever happens, it will be bringing more heavy rain.

75-289UK.GIF

Bullock Harbour

Great name!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Pics I took in Tramore this morning. The place suffered quite a bit of coastal erosion.

(Mobile uploads)
    1519146_797196263628525_1765520891_o.jpg

1502208_797196300295188_1669539937_o.jpg

1292966_797196310295187_907843728_o.jpg

1780116_797196323628519_1682847625_o.jpg

887324_797196336961851_454174706_o.jpg

1039886_797196393628512_404017193_o.jpg

Never seen these exposed before

1890621_797196406961844_86480480_o.jpg

Will post vid soon.

:(:( oh poor tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

John.Icy wrote: »

Because volunteers have to put themselves in danger to rescue them if it goes tits up ? You mention the people driving up to see the snow - well every dickhead who got themselves stuck and had to have mountain rescue out, was putting someone else's life in danger, dragging a couple of dozen people (at times) away from their own family, just because life's to short to think of the possible consequences. We're not talking people with expertise, the right equipment and the right experience minimising the risks in most incidents that people are classed as idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Because volunteers have to put themselves in danger to rescue them if it goes tits up ?

I didn't see any volunteers in danger rescuing the little old lady as she got her legs wet.
    No wonder Shackleton and Crean never got to the South Pole :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

Its been raining pretty much non stop all day here in west Dublin. Getting quite windy also. Combined with heavy rainfall over the next few days the rivers could be the next concern.

Because volunteers have to put themselves in danger to rescue them if it goes tits up ? You mention the people driving up to see the snow - well every dickhead who got themselves stuck and had to have mountain rescue out, was putting someone else's life in danger, dragging a couple of dozen people (at times) away from their own family, just because life's to short to think of the possible consequences. We're not talking people with expertise, the right equipment and the right experience minimising the risks in most incidents that people are classed as idiots.

If volunteers did not want to do the job in the first place, then no one is forcing them to. But thankfully, they don't share the same attitude as you. People enjoy being out; maybe others have no choice, but accidents will always happen, no matter what you do, be it cutting an apple or driving up a mountain in the snow. Calling people 'dickheads' and 'idiots' and 'putting other lives in danger' just sounds incredibly pompous and judgmental.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Its been raining pretty much non stop all day here in west Dublin. Getting quite windy also. Combined with heavy rainfall over the next few days the rivers could be the next concern.

There has been flooding already today in towns and villages along the Nore.

The 12Z GFS has yet more bands of heavy rain at times next week, though thats a bit too far away to be looking at yet.

I didn't see any volunteers in danger rescuing the little old lady as she got her legs wet.
    If she had fallen sooner/ nearer the wall, someone would've gone to get her - we've all seen the debris and stones that the sea in that state has thrown up in recent weeks. We've the force it could be at, something thrown by the sea could do serious damage if it hit someone on the head. So they weren't, but could've been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

If she had fallen sooner/ nearer the wall, someone would've gone to get her - we've all seen the debris and stones that the sea in that state has thrown up in recent weeks. We've the force it could be at, something thrown by the sea could do serious damage if it hit someone on the head. So they weren't, but could've been.

The woman is an internet sensation. I am happy for her.

If volunteers did not want to do the job in the first place, then no one is forcing them to. But thankfully, they don't share the same attitude as you. People enjoy being out; maybe others have no choice, but accidents will always happen, no matter what you do, be it cutting an apple or driving up a mountain in the snow. Calling people 'dickheads' and 'idiots' and 'putting other lives in danger' just sounds incredibly pompous and judgmental.
    I put the caveat of those equipped and experienced. Most of those that got stuck up the sally gap last winter (For example) were not well prepared, were not in suitable vehicles and did not have suitable equipment. There is a difference between an experienced well prepared hillwalker who gets into trouble by something out of the ordinary even given the conditions, and some idiot in a fiesta who brings his family without even coats who then gets stuck. You're kidding yourself if you think mountain rescue think its great to be called out in the later type of cases (especially when they get given out to for not rescuing the car as well!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

The RNLI are not reckless individuals putting their lives in danger. A lot of training goes towards specifically not putting yourself in danger. Increasing the number of casualties is never an option. I wish people would stop implying that they put their lives in danger! They're highly trained professionals albeit voluntary, but professionals nonetheless.

You're kidding yourself if you think mountain rescue think its great to be called out in the later type of cases (especially when they get given out to for not rescuing the car as well!)

Fair point, but as I said, if they didn't enjoy the the whole aspect of the job - which includes rescuing people, be they 'dickheads' or not, they would not be doing it. There was no obligation for them to volunteer in the first place, other than their own sense of humanity, and understanding that of others.

New Moon

Fair point, but as I said, if they didn't enjoy the the whole aspect of the job - which includes rescuing people, be they 'dickheads' or not, they would not be doing it. There was no obligation for them to volunteer in the first place, other than their own sense of humanity, and understanding that of others.
    I should probably made the caveat clearer. Of course they enjoy, and of course they are highly trained (like the lifeboats). There's a difference between every case and circumstances that lead them there, so can we call a truce?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Still no let up in the unsettled wet and windy outlook. A troublesome storm could pop up at any stage really.

First time period to watch is the Fri night/ Sat system, where a hit on the southern half of Ireland is well within the margin of error in forecast track.

WRF showing gusts up to 120 km/h on the southwest coast Saturday. A relatively minor track shift could increase that to ~130 km/h.

At least coastal flooding shouldn't be too much of an issue with lower tides over the weekend.

nmmuk-11-72-0.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes indeed looks like the Cork storm magnet is working well right now with Saturday looking quite wild for the South Coast
    As others say too early to say whether this one will nudge a little North or not and give a more wideapread storm
    Tides lower but river levels will be high

Advertisement