Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

12z GFS places winds further south if anything compared to 6z.

6am tomorrow:

Rtavn189.gif

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-extremes.asp

Not sure when the February record is from but these go back to 1838 at least since thats when the November record is from.

We've got a crack at 942hPa for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

12z gfs identical to earlier run.
    Stormy in Kerry, Cork Waterford and Wexford.
    An orange alert I would expect is imminent here by Met Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z HIRLAM still showing storm force winds along the southwest and south coasts but not until tomorrow afternoon-evening.

tuul29.png

Ukmo a tad further north and a tad deeper
    indeed at 24hrs its stormy across the southern half of the country. This should now be an orange alert for sure down here with further coastal damage probable

• Advertisement

I wouldn't like to be making a forecast for after the weekend, lots of lows flying around deepening/phasing close by with the potential of being in the firing line at times.

Thought GFS had dropped any storm but then puts this over us, but still over 120hrs away.

gfs-0-129-3h.png?12

Now, that's a storm.

Rtavn12613.gif

Have never seen this before, a 110kt wind barb at the 850hPa level!

Rtavn12612.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Now, that's a storm.

Rtavn12613.gif

Umbrella not much good that day...

UKM developing the first wave more than the GFS again and has it as a threatening low @ 96hrs.

UW96-21.GIF?07-17

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the strongest GFS storm for a while. Sustained winds in mph...

oOyJgng.png

Very unlikely to happen exactly like that, but with several lows spinning around next week and the possibility of cyclogenesis happening close to or even over us then something like that could happen at some stage.

Very unlikely to happen exactly like that, but with several lows spinning around next week and the possibility of cyclogenesis happening close to or even over us then something like that could happen at some stage.

anything close to that sustained windspeed would cause a lot of damage. seems a forecasting nightmare as you said after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

oOyJgng.png

Would be no fun at all in Mayo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭swampgas

Wind and rain picking up here in West Cork. The power dropped out two or three times for a few seconds but (thankfully) came back on again, which seems a bit odd as the wind isn't that strong yet. Might be a long night.

Ok folks next storm is on our doorstep and ive a feeling most are under estimating it esp the Southern brigade. Am going for a max gust of at least 85mph somewhere between Cork airport, roches pt and Valentia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Xenji wrote: »
    Would be no fun at all in Mayo :(

Then i suggest you drive down to where its going to get worst and enjoy yourself

Ok folks next storm is on our doorstep and ive a feeling most are under estimating it esp the Southern brigade. Am going for a max gust of at least 85mph somewhere between Cork airport, roches pt and Valentia

will be interesting what the ECM shows. Met eireann still have only a yellow warning up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Have never seen this before, a 110kt wind barb at the 850hPa level!

giphy.gif

weisses wrote: »
    Then i suggest you drive down to where its going to get worst and enjoy yourself

I'd wait a few days though! every run brings changes.

will be interesting what the ECM shows. Met eireann still have only a yellow warning up.

HIRLAM is more useful than the ECM for short range forecasting.

ECM will be interesting for next week though...

Yellow seems right for today, but I can see them changing it to orange on the southwest coast for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

oOyJgng.png

Do the weather gods despise me that much?? :o:(

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

West Limerick.

Light rain.

Winds 13 to 15km/h gusting 20km/h. Southerly.

HIRLAM is more useful than the ECM for short range forecasting.

ECM will be interesting for next week though...

Yellow seems right for today, but I can see them changing it to orange on the southwest coast for tomorrow.

is it going a bit further north in your view than originally predicted? will keep an eye on hirlam - how often is that updated?

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Do the weather gods despise me that much?? :o:(

I'm sure you'd be happy about 3 hours after that point... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Can anyone in cork or waterford confirm if the rain is heavy or not, Debating whether to head out here and would be helpful to know what's on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

oOyJgng.png

Quick question.

Have some family who were about 3 inches from flooding in Limerick City last Saturday. Even though tides are lower next week, does anyone have any thoughts on the kind of storm surge 77mph sustained winds up the Shannon estuary would cause, however unlikely!

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Any link for pressure records?

Could see pressure down to near 940hPa in some southwestern stations later on.

1951020412_5.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Can anyone in cork or waterford confirm if the rain is heavy or not, Debating whether to head out here and would be helpful to know what's on the way

Heavy rain in East Cork with pick picking up. Nasty enough at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

moderate rain and force 5-6 wind here on coast between youghal and dungarvan - occasional heavier pulses seem to be getting more frequent and wind gradually getting gustier - will be an unpleasant evening here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Lashing rain in South East Kerry at the moment.
    Gusts strong as well, Are people underestimating this i wonder, Would have expected ME to have gone Orange for at least Cork/Kerry.:confused:

Advertisement