Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

wideangle wrote: »
    I heard no thunder Space time,just the flash each time counted, five in total.
    Im up by the airport and haven't seen any. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

very windy here now - coastal west waterford (house very exposed to south) - couple of distant flashes too.

i see sherkin is gusting to 54 knots now and Kinsale platform to 63 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Wind is really strong now..I havent seen lightening...cork city sth side

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

picking up in the south Roches point 60kts, Kinsale 63kts....Belmullet 957hpa

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A little windy in Galway, nothing spectacular so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Strongest gusts 0200 are Kinsale Gust 60tks,Sherkin 58kts. Mace head 954hpa....falling rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Wind really picking up here in South East Kerry.
    Heavy rainfalls at times also.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

There were some big gusts of wind in the last hour here in Cork City, will be interesting what the reports @ 3 are like.

There is not much sustained wind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Now up to 65knts at sherkin
    Higher than 65 anyone???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

10 min avg wind 42 km/h SSW, gust 77 km/h here in North Kerry

4.8 mm since midnight giving 11.7mm for event

Bar now at 953.3mb Falling Rapidly

Rough Night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Just got woken up by extremely heavy hail and wind here in Tramore, co.waterford, the worst hail ive seen in a very long time.

That then followed with a couple of really bright flashes of lightning and fairly heavy winds.

Pressure is still dropping at BELMULLET now at 952hPa, Mace head is also now at 952hPa, getting close to a record low I think for this time of year.

Sherkin still has the highest readings sustained 40 Knots gusting to 65 with Roches point not to far behind with sustained of 40 Knots and a max gust of 57.

Cork city is wild again with more rain and big long gusts moving in. The kind of wind that sounds ominous. For what it is worth the 3am report had the airport @ 29 Knots Gust 49 Knots.

Now up to 65knts at sherkin
    Higher than 65 anyone???

I will punt for 80knts (far fetched but you never know). It is rough enough now and is still has a bit to build yet.

Kinsale GasRig had a gust of 75 Knots on the 3am report.

Yep as I was saying all day this storm has been under estimated. My punt of 85mph now seems spot on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Yep as I was saying all day this storm has been under estimated. My punt of 85mph now seems spot on!!

Ah now that's hardly an accurate station (Kinsale oil rig) to be using to back you up.

This storm was always a case of the worst of the winds just off the south coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

John.Icy wrote: »
    Ah now that's hardly an accurate station (Kinsale oil rig) to be using to back you up.

This storm was always a case of the worst of the winds just off the south coast.
    yeah i think you have to take the country in as a whole when these storms are concerned. reading of some high gusts with thunder and lightning mixed in with hail from some people around the south coast, but here in kildare its breezy ( at best) with no rain and certainly no lightning, its very marginal as it always is in this little land of ours, so taking a reading from kinsale oil rig is a little one sided ... it probably blows a gale like that most days out there:)

62knots at roches point which is over 70mph for 4am

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Slight reductions in wind speeds over the southwest at 05z and 06z (gusts to 57 kts) with the low around 70 miles due west of Newport. Lowest pressure on land at 06z is 946 mbs at Belmullet, 947 at Newport and Mace Head.

Expect the very strong winds to increase slightly later this morning and also to spread very slowly north. Could eventually see a stronger gust than the earlier 65 kts on land and the Kinsale platform could also increase from max so far (75 kts) to the low 80s.

Hints of a brief interval of severe wind gusts next week, each model gives different details, Wednesday looks perhaps best for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

New station record here in Galway city!
    Lowest Pressure 948.90 hPa at 06:37

Max Gust 37mph at 04:12

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Now at 945 mb at Belmullet too. The low appears to be drifting towards there, and should arrive by 0900 or 1000h. Going to give the old record a run but I think it may fall a notch short. Not sure how long I can stay awake to watch this as I have a combination of a full day behind me and fighting off the flu, it seems, so I will pass the torch to the day shift and maybe take a quick look in around 0930.

The level 2 is certainly valid from now to mid-afternoon, I would think, and there could be the odd report from Kerry suggesting a near level 3 situation locally. As the wind veers slowly certain harbours and inlets will be more and more exposed to the swells and there could be a bit of flooding despite the lower astronomical tidal ranges at this point.

It may not seem like much is happening in some eastern and northern locations but eventually almost everyone will see these strong winds spreading in because the low will fill rapidly this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Weather seems like groudhog day at the moment. Heard hail and thunder overnight. Just checked last hours local reports at Waterford airport, mean is 40kts with latest gust of 56kts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Gerry Murphy 7.55 update gives no mention of severe winds next week. Just a very mixed outlook - wintry precipitation possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

It's wild here in Celbridge Kildare. Some very strong gusts to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Its calm here in Newport at the moment, very overcast but no wind yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

very rough night here. really picked up from about 5am. less violent gust sthan stephens night but prolonged wind. from my point of view its up there wind wise

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Winds should peaked now in Carlow with the top gust of 85.2 km/h at 8:06am. Winds are starting to slacken off now but It will remain rather breezy with showers too.

The lowest pressure ever recorded in February was 942.3hPa in Middleton Co. Cork on the 4th of February 1951 and Belmullet in mayo is currently 946hPa while here in Carlow it's 957hPa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Overnight report from near Limerick City! Wind speed was generally well below gale force. But at times there were some severe gusts at times especially between 0130 and 0200hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Lots of rain in Galway last night but I am not sure the strong winds materialised. If it did, I slept through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Every station in the country is recording a sub 960 mb pressure reading according to the 11am M.E. report. How often does that happen I wonder?

Belmullet & Finner 948. Malin Head, Markree & Newport (Mayo) at 949.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Every station in the country is recording a sub 960 mb pressure reading according to the 11am M.E. report. How often does that happen I wonder?

Belmullet & Finner 948. Malin Head, Markree & Newport (Mayo) at 949.

Looks like it bottomed out here at 952.3 now rising. That will take some beating for my location (Nr Moate Co Westmeath)

Advertisement