Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

IR image at 0332 this morning.

292880.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

alfa beta wrote: »
    Build it according to the instructions they said and you'll have a weatherproof, waterproof shed for years to come...

....unless of course you live on the South Coast of Ireland

My poor shed this morning - Stehpen's Night started the ball rolling and last night was the straw that simply broke its back. I think that 60 knot gust that hit Roches point must've paid a visit here too. What a winter!
    Can't see images ?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

Thankfully it looks like next week wont be stormy according to Met Eireann. And the flooding risk should diminish too. At this stage I dont want snow, just a rapid advancement of spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

Lovely day in Rathfarnham, Dublin. Blustery but sunny. Not what I was expecting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Thankfully it looks like next week wont be stormy according to Met Eireann. And the flooding risk should diminish too. At this stage I dont want snow, just a rapid advancement of spring.
    Sadly I don't think that's going to happen,it might.
    Once the storm train dies down,the form horse is an Easter visit from the cold bunny.
    Our weather mixes up its pattern sometimes, deviates a few times but generally stays inside it's average climate parameters.

Meanwhile pressure near Arklow has steadied at 955.9 for now.
    Breezy.
    We lost power for a whole day Thursday the calm day because a line weakened by all the storms finally snapped.
    I had to put the dogs in as they usually play where it went down, quite dangerous.
    It goes to show,that a few more medium storms and this will happen more often, there is a slow burning structural damage being done.
    I would advise people when things calm down to have a close look at their property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Now at 945 mb at Belmullet too. The low appears to be drifting towards there, and should arrive by 0900 or 1000h. Going to give the old record a run but I think it may fall a notch short. Not sure how long I can stay awake to watch this as I have a combination of a full day behind me and fighting off the flu, it seems, so I will pass the torch to the day shift and maybe take a quick look in around 0930.

The level 2 is certainly valid from now to mid-afternoon, I would think, and there could be the odd report from Kerry suggesting a near level 3 situation locally. As the wind veers slowly certain harbours and inlets will be more and more exposed to the swells and there could be a bit of flooding despite the lower astronomical tidal ranges at this point.

It may not seem like much is happening in some eastern and northern locations but eventually almost everyone will see these strong winds spreading in because the low will fill rapidly this evening.

you are spot on, even though the tides are not supposed to be high, it looks like they are and more, the waves are huge and belting over cliffs, seems much higher than when they were warning of high tide all morning till now, windows white with salt from spray, thank god still have all slates, and i have made trees safe by doing a bit of sawing back,
    i would say low lying places near coast are getting a washup of these tides

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

Heading to Dunmore to get my fix :D

I hope you don't repeat your Tramore performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

There's a lot of uncertainty about next week, every chance that it will be stormy and wet yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Lol the above video is every where recently!

The wind and rain in Kilkenny the last 16-24 hours has been some thing else. Had the pleasure of having to play a football match yesterday evening in what I can only describe as cruel conditions, driving winds and lashing rain. Wasn't pleasant at all. I second the notion of no snow and a bright spring. I'm normally a massive snow bunny but all this sloppy weather has me craving the warm sun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

microsim wrote: »
    I hope you don't repeat your Tramore performance.

Sorry, but that video cracked me up, watched it about 10 times now for extra lols!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Supercell wrote: »
    Sorry, but that video cracked me up, watched it about 10 times now for extra lols!

"Hey, mind yerself....HEY!"

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

turned into quite a nice day here in Carlow, its sunny and dry ... cant believe it myself, going by met eireann the next few days lookin ok for us here in the east, some showers but a lot calmer the last few days, looking forward to a few dry so I can get a few things done....next week looks all over the place at the moment with the models but heres hopin we get some dry weather......personally as much as I like snow this relentless wet weather has me praying for some dry weather so maybe hold on to the snow till next winter when it will be epic ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is the met office crying wolf too often???

fryup wrote: »

in fairness forecasting this type of weather we,ve been having the last month must be a nightmare and I think they have handled it quite well, although not as well as the lads on here ha

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tigletts

Certainly not down here in West Cork, it is very windy and very wet :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Super extra thanks for apt username!.

And i'd say the met office have to find it hard, especially when the systems are so tightly wrapped that we can have pretty much every type of weather at the same time across the country, however, the guys on this thread are just amazing, have been skipping all other types of weather forecast lately..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

nope, not down here in cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

"Hey, mind yerself....HEY!"

You missed the .........AGGGGHH!!!! At the end :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Very windy and wet here in West Cork, my chimneys are protesting and the house is ratling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Very windy and wet here in West Cork, my chimneys are protesting and the house is ratling.
    Same here in the city...very wet and winds seem to be getting worse...chimney is whistling loudly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Suns out in Tipp, no wind at all either

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Cork City is absolutely brutal all day-strong winds pissing rain-Cork worst weather In Ireland as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

ROY RACE wrote: »
    Cork City is absolutely brutal all day-strong winds pissing rain-Cork worst weather In Ireland as usual

Ah it's relativity sheltered compared to many areas of Ireland. It certainly gets a lot or rain though.

hows the lee holding up down there with all the rain your getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Image at 1323. There appear to be 2 centres of circulation visible, one west of Galway, the other over the north of Donegal.

292912.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Kinsale energy platform is 60kts gust 75kts at 1500, wave height 10.7m :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A long way off, and very unlikely to happen but the 12Z GFS throws up a interesting low for next Friday.

138-21UK.GIF?08-12

Sustained winds reaching 87 mph ( 140 km/h) on the southwest coast.

iYiuBHr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Crosswind . flying sideways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Would be devastating in some areas, thankfully far out so won't happen.
    Rtavn1441.gif

Still has to be said that there isn't an end in sight to this stormy weather in the reliable time frame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Crosswind . flying sideways

Which airport is that?

Advertisement