Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Which airport is that?

Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Bad day in clonmel also. Gusty with heavy prolonged downpours also feels cold in the wind and rain. Its gone very dark in the last 20 minutes to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

An interesting 12Z GEM too.

Intense little low crossing over the southeast at 66 hours.

gem-0-66.png?12

And another low crossing the country at 96 hours.

gem-0-90.png?12

Worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Bad day in clonmel also. Gusty with heavy prolonged downpours also feels cold in the wind and rain. Its gone very dark in the last 20 minutes to.

It's called nighttime

JK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Low after low coming through the country, an incredible passage of weather this winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

so far ok

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

to lee river flooding..meant to add

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

"Hey, mind yerself....HEY!"

Tis like an Aviva insurance add ;-)

Metalhead boy...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Aimsir wrote: »
    to lee river flooding..meant to add

at least that's something, ye have got your fair share of flooding in the last 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Winds reached 92mph near the isle of wight we barely had a breeze here in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Tis like an Aviva insurance add ;-)

Metalhead boy...
    we are actually thinking of getting t-shirts printed with this on it to take the piss out of the videographer. i was walking back to my car when that wave came through. it was classic.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

there's no flooding cork city center is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Update :Just to clarify police have now said this little boys death and the illness of his parents is most likely unrelated to flooding. I dont know about the other 17 people.

A little boy has died in the UK,his parents are critically ill and 17 other people have been hospitalised in the same area. The police are saying they think it might be illness resulting from contamination due to flooding in their home and surrounding area. One of those things we don't really think of or consider as a serious possibility in these situations.Its a frightening possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

Thankfully it looks like this weeks storms wont hit. Met eireann are calling a cold breezy week. Really need to get a shed roof fixed so I going for this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    there's no flooding cork city center is there?
    No. westerly winds (no matter how strong) + neap tides = no flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

At this point there is reasonable model consensus on a windy period (southerly gales) for the southeast on Monday night, and some consensus on further windy events around Wednesday (probably late day) and Friday or Saturday.

I would suggest we let this thread run its course and then start a new one based on the Sunday morning guidance. If somebody else wanted to start that one, I would be quite pleased to take a rest.

The Monday night event would be similar to that one last week that came before the other one, if you follow my drift, and would probably be most impactful in Waterford, Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny and Wicklow, with parts of Cork, south Tipp and Laois in the mix. It could become a level 2 event closer to the time, some of the models have quite a tight gradient developing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Still plenty of power left in this system, continuous wintry showers being driven onshore here in Kerry by a very brisk Westerly wind still gusting 65 kph+

19.3 mm since midnight, ( 26.2mm for event )

As the depression drifts North the Barometer has now risen ( rapidly ) to 971.6mb ( Low 951.4mb )

• Registered Users Posts: 30,286 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Good few big fishing boats have been hanging around bantry bay (west cork) all day and still there now. Getting a bit of shelter I guess, will try add a video later
    7TxDHA.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Speaking ahead of the launch of a Met Office report - produced by by the Centre of Ecology and Hydrology - into recent climactic events, Dr Slingo said the UK had seen the "most exceptional period of rainfall in 248 years".

Unsettled weather at this time of year was not unexpected - but the prolonged spell of rain, as well as the intensity and height of coastal waves, was "very unusual".

"We have records going back to 1766 and we have nothing like this," she said. "We have seen some exceptional weather. We can't say it is unprecedented but it is exceptional."

Read this on the BBC Website so there must be some truth in it.

Not the Express Train or the Mail Tales

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Wind tonight in macroom is something fierce. Stronger than last night. It sounds like the roof wants to come off.

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    Speaking ahead of the launch of a Met Office report - produced by by the Centre of Ecology and Hydrology - into recent climactic events, Dr Slingo said the UK had seen the "most exceptional period of rainfall in 248 years".

Unsettled weather at this time of year was not unexpected - but the prolonged spell of rain, as well as the intensity and height of coastal waves, was "very unusual".

"We have records going back to 1766 and we have nothing like this," she said. "We have seen some exceptional weather. We can't say it is unprecedented but it is exceptional."

Read this on the BBC Website so there must be some truth in it.

Not the Express Train or the Mail Tales

I think that it is fair to say that most regions can say that they have records of weather events being worse than now, the main difference is that now so many different areas are experiencing multiple extreme weather events at once.

I have lived in several different places over the years and all of these places have had weather events that have been worse than what these same places are currently experiencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I think that it is fair to say that most regions can say that they have records of weather events being worse than now, the main difference is that now so many different areas are experiencing multiple extreme weather events at once.

I have lived in several different places over the years and all of these places have had weather events that have been worse than what these same places are currently experiencing.

It's probably never been as bad for as long a period in southern Britain.We have had worse weather in Ireland.
    The flooding in Sw GB must be fairly unprecedented unrelated to snow thaw.
    Rail lines are cut from Devon and Cornwall.
    The nature of where the js is,pumping rain more into southern Gb than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

A little boy has died in the UK,his parents are critically ill and 17 other people have been hospitalised in the same area. The police are saying they think it might be illness resulting from contamination due to flooding in their home and surrounding area. One of those things we don't really think of or consider as a serious possibility in these situations.Its a frightening possibility.

You have to think these flood waters are full of contamination....Sewage, Bacteria, possibly animal corpses.

I saw an article in what a sample of flood water contained during last week, it was shocking!

I know Sky news hypes things up to massive proportions, but the reaction by the government and agencies in the UK have been shocking. I know there is also a whirlwind of social media posting about this, but it is shocking to see the UK and to some extent the Irish governments sending billions of euro abroad to aid other countries, when disasters happen in their own country the reaction is so small. Its all wrong in my book, Charity starts at home. I held up hope when I saw Prince Charles visiting (And donated a vast sum of his own money), but still things seem to happening too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

No sign of anything particularly stormy on the main models this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

snaps wrote: »
    You have to think these flood waters are full of contamination....Sewage, Bacteria, possibly animal corpses.

I saw an article in what a sample of flood water contained during last week, it was shocking!

It was carbon monoxide poisoning from a pump in the basement that killed the little fella.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2554711/Police-investigating-water-based-disease-killed-little-boy-seven-year-old-dies-15-people-hospitalised-home-flooded.html

Fishing boats leaving now
    5WMTkv.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

That's good news maq I no things change all the time with the models but any rest bite would be welcome I only resealed the shed roof bout a month ago and already the relentless rain and wind is takin a toll on it ....... Mt seems to think we will get some more stormy weather this week he just can't nail down an exact time so will be interesting to see the models progress

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

No sign of anything particularly stormy on the main models this morning.

I was just about to post that I think we have growing consensus for a possible storm Wednesday night into Thursday morning.

Looking at the ensembles from both GFS and ECMWF i see up to 40% suggesting a strong wind-storm. Southern half of country most at risk.

- It could also end up in England or not develop but i see stronger cross model indication of the risk.

Few examples (@ 90hrs):
    gens-4-1-90.png?6

gens-8-1-90.png?6

gens-14-1-90.png?6

gens-13-1-96.png?6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

aboyro wrote: »
    we are actually thinking of getting t-shirts printed with this on it to take the piss out of the videographer. i was walking back to my car when that wave came through. it was classic.:D

Fair play to him, he probably saved her life.........which in Ireland means you get slagged mercilessly :D

Advertisement