Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Thanks for that chart Maq.
    I would take nothing that appears on SN seriously.
    There is a bright green spot over me on that chart, best to get the wello's out so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

MT, Mac, WC and others, thanks for your insights and updates on this board, cannot overstate how helpful it is to have the benefit of your knowledge when watching these events.

I do have one of those irritating questions, but only because it's my wedding day tomorrow, so the question is... Snow or miserable rain for Sligo tomorrow afternoon?

hoody wrote: »
    MT, Mac, WC and others, thanks for your insights and updates on this board, cannot overstate how helpful it is to have the benefit of your knowledge when watching these events.

I do have one of those irritating questions, but only because it's my wedding day tomorrow, so the question is... Snow or miserable rain for Sligo tomorrow afternoon?

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Just heard the most unmerciful clap of thunder in Tullamore, and then serious hail! This weather is nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

South West England looking like it will be hit worst. Rain and plenty of it on the way.

14021421_1306.gif

14021409_1306.gif

gfs-2-30.png?6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Hi Guys, I'm seeing and hearing conflicting reports about tomorrow's weather. Due to drive down from Dublin to south-west Clare for the weekend at about 12 noon tomorrow. Plus we are staying right beside the coast! I'm not sure whether to cancel or not as I don't want to be driving out in bad winds and belting rain but I'm wondering if tomorrow is being overhyped. Any ideas? Thanks :)

Goes to show what kind of a romantic I am(marriage will do that to ya ;)).
    I completely forget tomorrow is Valentines day!
    Falling on a Friday, I would imagine that a lot of people will be travelling(weekend break etc).
    Should be interesting weather wise for those travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Surely that's one of our boards members on liveline now talking about all the different models etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Surely that's one of our boards members on liveline now talking about all the different models etc etc.

I think I read Villian was on it yesterday from Carlow. I could be wrong given I have read so much on here and the storm the last 36 hours!

Your right Carlow weather.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yeah, Villain is on Joe Duffy again today (now).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

mojesius wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm seeing and hearing conflicting reports about tomorrow's weather. Due to drive down from Dublin to south-west Clare for the weekend at about 12 noon tomorrow. Plus we are staying right beside the coast! I'm not sure whether to cancel or not as I don't want to be driving out in bad winds and belting rain but I'm wondering if tomorrow is being overhyped. Any ideas? Thanks :)

It will be pelting rain, well light/moderate rain driven by a stiff breeze, but it will be milder so no chance of wintry stuff. It wouldnt put me off a long drive but just that check your route and destination arent affected by any residual damage from yesterday. Other than that tomorrow will be an unspectacular dirty Irish day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yeah, Villain is on Joe Duffy again today (now).

Lavlahn Thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057118825&page=279 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Munster and Leinster

Strong easterly winds in Leinster and Munster during Friday morning. Mean speeds between 45 and 65 km/h gusting 80 to 90 km/h.
    Issued:
    Thursday 13 February 2014 11:00
    Valid:
    Friday 14 February 2014 06:00 to Friday 14 February 2014 15:00
    STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan

Heavy rain in all areas. Between 30 and 45 mm in 24 hours.
    Issued:
    Thursday 13 February 2014 10:00
    Valid:
    Friday 14 February 2014 06:00 to Saturday 15 February 2014 06:00

More of a wet and windy day rather than a stormy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

13th February, 2014

The following flood alert has been issued by Cork City Council on 13th February 2014

CORK CITY TIDAL FLOOD ALERT

In association with the forecast storm conditions for Friday 14th February, a predicted storm surge to coincide with the astronomical high tide may give rise to flooding of streets in the City.

High Tide is predicted for 17:36

During this period, prior to and after this tide, there is a risk of Tidal Flooding in the City as indicated.

Heavy rain is also predicted for Friday from 6.00 am to 6.00 pm. This will lead to additional ponding on streets while the river levels are high.

The estimated period of most Flood impact on the city is between 16:00 and 19:00 Friday

It is possible that flooding may occur in the low lying areas of the City Centre including in particular Infirmary Road, South Terrace, Trinity Bridge, Rutland Street, Sawmill Street, Cotter Street, Union Quay, Morrisons Quay, Proby’s Quay, Crosses Green, Sharman Crawford St, Wandesford Quay, Lavitts Quay, Kyrls Quay, Coal Quay and Lapps Quay.

Other Areas at potential risk are South Mall, Oliver Plunkett Street, Pembroke St., Winthrop Street, Kennedy Quay, Centre Park Road, Monahan’s Road, Georges Quay, North Mall, Penrose Quay, and the low lying areas of the City Centre.

astronomical high tide??? strong words there.

i have storm fatigue

sunbabe08 wrote: »

i have storm fatigue

Astronomical high tide is term for the high tide during a full moon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Astronomical high tide is term for the high tide during a full moon. :)

i'm so tired at this stage, that didn't even click with me :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D sorry sunbabe, couldn't resist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

i have storm fatigue

293790.jpg :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Every cloud...(with due call to those who have been affected, as I was myself).

But you gotta look on the bright side...

Tree surgeons,

Brick layers,

Sandbag makers

Fence menders,

Roofers,

Plumbers

Sparks.

The recession is OVER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Flying out from Cork Airport tomorrow at 3.00 pm en route to Krakow. Is it likely to be very bumpy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Every cloud...(with due call to those who have been affected, as I was myself).

But you gotta look on the bright side...

Tree surgeons,

Brick layers,

Sandbag makers

Fence menders,

Roofers,

Plumbers

Sparks.

The recession is OVER!
    every roofer in this country will have work from this, we had one in this morning, he just fixed on a few slates for time being, will have to come back and look after all the tiles, everything just gone loose, the insurance companioes will be broke, but the builders are on the way back, when the country went bust they were first to suffer, now that the storm busted all of us we need them , and glad to have them,
    every cloud and the bigger the cloud the bigger the lining for someone.

The wind warning was upgraded slightly from max gusts of 90 to 110.

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Munster and Leinster

Very wet and windy weather developing on Friday morning as strong to gale force easterly winds develop through Munster and Leinster with mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h and gusts of 80 to 110km/hr, strongest in exposed coastal areas.

Issued:
    Thursday 13 February 2014 11:00
    Valid:
    Friday 14 February 2014 06:00 to Friday 14 February 2014 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Star Rise

Maq, thank you for the updates. I know the charts are relatively benign (as such!) but I've a feeling in my bones about this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Fancy a tornado?

http://www.estofex.org/

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2014021506_201402131850_1_stormforecast.xml
    From noon to the evening hours, the triple point somewhere between SE-Ireland and C-UK becomes of interest as dry slot draws near from the SW. Interaction of both features could result in a few vigorous updrafts. This scenario is also backed by the favorable placement of a 50 m/s (plus) 500 hPa jet streak. LL flow won't be as intense as further south, but high SRH-1 and low LCLs point to an isolated tornado threat... next to severe wind gusts and marginal hail.

Despite the ongoing wrap-up process of the thermal wave, this depression certainly features an higher tornado risk compared to the past events. Extreme LL shear and some modest onshore LLCAPE back that idea and an isolated strong tornado event can't be ruled out especially over SE-Ireland, SW-S and C UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭murdig

What should we expect weather-wise with regard to that storm forecast for tomorrow around Kerry??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Star Rise

That'd do it alright!!

2012 update from Met Eireann

Very cold tonight with frost and icy patches and scattered wintry showers.
    Lowest temperatures ranging -1 to +3 degrees.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

A band of heavy rain, sleet and snow will extend northwards during daytime Friday followed by scattered rain showers and possible isolated thunderstorms. Highest temperatures 4 to 8 degrees.

Strong to gale force easterly winds will become west to northwest later.
    Further disruption is possible from the heavy precipitation and strong winds.

Outlook

Saturday: Very windy on Friday night and early Saturday morning, with further severe gusts likely in north to northwesterly winds. The winds will slowly abate through Saturday. It will be a cold showery day. The showers will merge to longer spells of rain at times with the risk of the showers turning wintry on occasions. Highest temperatures during the day of 6 to 8 degrees. Widespread severe frost on Saturday night.

Sunday: This will be one of the quieter days. A cold, bright frosty morning with most places remaining dry for the day-time. Cloud will increase in the west during the afternoon and rain will arrive along western coastal counties before evening, with the rain gradually spreading eastwards overnight.

Monday: A cold day with easterly winds and scattered outbreaks of rain. Severe frost on Monday night.

Tuesday: A frosty morning, but otherwise generally dry and bright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Fancy a tornado?

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2014021506_201402131850_1_stormforecast.xml

Wow , both strong deep layer and low level shear mainly for southern england , some decent values too forecasted for SE here too !

293831.png

Be on the alert for funnels indeed folks!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Guys is tomorrow going to be as bad as wednesday for leinster???

Advertisement