Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Some good news is Saturday's system isn't looking nearly as threatening on latest runs.

Yeah, track dropping south. Still lots of rain from it though, will add to river flooding concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Somebodies wheelie bin just went skidding past....

It has begun...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Kinsale Energy shown bit of jump, so may show what is on route to south in few hours.

51 gust 61kt @ 1600hrs

Indeed Sherkin has picked up..

41 Gust 64kt = 119km/hr.

Sherklin gusting to 118 km/h at 4pm, should be approaching peak gusts there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoomaway

thebaz wrote: »
    a month of non stop storms - perhaps doubters may now be convinced about climate change and global warming

Global warming is hogwash imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Cork Airport is blowing wildly at the moment too... this ESE wind is poking holes in the lack of insulation in the business park offices!! :)

292308.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

zoomaway wrote: »

True. Unless the Flintstones had a really crappy 4 liter gas-guzzling low rider. It could all be their fault that the anti-cyclone was invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It is bucketing rain in Cork City now and very windy - doesn't look good for later if this keeps up....

Wexford Harbour heading for a big high tide tonight. Pity we don't have any live tide data for Cork.

fKswvDn.png

Dunmore East webcam here : http://www.portofwaterford.com/webcam.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    It is bucketing rain in Cork City now and very windy - doesn't look good for later if this keeps up....

well, guess they won't have egg on their faces for shutting the city center down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

#Waterford City Council warns of road closures later due to potential floods @WLRFMnews .

Tuesday, 04 February 2014 16:13

Waterford City Council says that due to the significant tidal surge predicted to coincide with the high tide this tonight, flooding is expected on the Quay, in Millers Marsh Car Park, on the Tramore Road near Smyths Toys and in Poleberry. Waterford City Council have distributed sand bags in the affected areas and motorists are advised not to park in these locations tonight. Poleberry and the Tramore Road near Smyths Toys will be closed to traffic from 8pm.There is also a strong likelihood that a section of the Quay from the GPO to Reginald’s Tower will also be closed to traffic. Motorists are strongly advised not to drive through flooded roads as they may damage their vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gusts rising steadily at Waterford airport, 42kts latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very wild in cork now
    Flooding is inevitable
    I wonder have we taken our eye off the wind a little? Its blowing a full on storm here now and I am low down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Tide is coming in fairly fast here in Tramore. Wind has picked up and is very strong atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

leahyl wrote: »

BfpMaopIAAA73qE.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

zoomaway wrote: »
    Agreed.
    This current stormy pattern has a specific explanation caused by a here and now anomaly with extreme cold air exiting the states,the recipe for storms that is and the buckled jet stream.
    It's annoying to hear it consistently hauled out as evidence of climate change.
    it is an anomaly pure and simple.
    There will be snowy winters in Ireland in the future,just as much as there will be stormy ones and dry ones etc depending on what chaos theory throws up.

Next time someone goes on about global warming,ask them why the NH globe currently has more extensive snow cover than often and why ice breaking ships trying to rescue other ships got stuck in ice in Antarctica.

Very windy here in East Wicklow btw,gusting above 70kmph,rain band not here yet but knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »

Probably best not to open that can of worms in this thread! Perhaps a separate one to look at possible causes of this mild stormy winter might be better?

Mild ???

- anyway point taken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Mild ???

- anyway point taken

Yes, Mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Won't be of much help if you are not familiar with Wexford but an interesting tweet/illustration from Peter Scallan

BfpMoROCMAEvFyY.jpg:large

03843e95ad5fdc89950997678c9c572f_bigger.jpeg Peter Scallan@PeterScallan 10m
    #Wexford town unlikely to #flood tonight thanks to flood defences. However, change in wind could mess things up. pic.twitter.com/VWnrDROG8H

Oops sorry didn't realise how big this was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Already very windy here on the S Dublin coast, could be potentially stormy later on in the evening.

• Advertisement

Very wild in cork now
    Flooding is inevitable
    I wonder have we taken our eye off the wind a little? Its blowing a full on storm here now and I am low down

i'm on the northside of cork city, this wind is st Stephan's night scary.:eek: wasn't expecting this, was expecting the rain alright

Some power outages popping up in Cork in the past hour or so.

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

Some power outages popping up in Cork in the past hour or so.

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

not good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I hope the quays are ok - I drive home that way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Yes, Mild.

I'm sure most people in the country would not term the stormy rainy weather the past month, mild - me included - anyway I'll move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoomaway

whitebriar wrote: »
    Agreed.
    This current stormy pattern has a specific explanation caused by a here and now anomaly with extreme cold air exiting the states,the recipe for storms that is and the buckled jet stream.
    There will be snowy winters in Ireland in the future,just as much as there will be stormy ones and dry ones etc depending on what chaos theory throws up.

Next time someone goes on about global warming,ask them why the NH globe currently has more extensive snow cover than often and why ice breaking ships trying to rescue other ships got stuck in ice in Antarctica.

Very windy here in East Wicklow btw,gusting above 70kmph,rain band not here yet but knocking.

After I posted that comment I realised it doesn't have a place in here and it would be unfair to derail this thread, so apologies to whoever started this thread But yes a new thread perhaps but I still say hogwash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'm sure most people in the country would not term the stormy rainy weather the past month, mild - me included - anyway I'll move on

Well it certainly hasn't been cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

whitebriar wrote: »
    Agreed.

I responded to you post here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88833085#post88833085

Best not go ruining this thread.

Met Eireann 7pm chart has rainfall up to 16mm an hour on the south coast.

3hr-rain.gif?1703

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Advertisement