Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Wind has considerably picked up in north meath, but still no rain yet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Satellite signal gone. That hasn't happened in a long time.

Wind is getting much stronger now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Very gusty here, not alarmingly so but we aren't that far off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

On the South Dublin wheelie bin scale: there was 20 feet of movement to a near full wheelie bin :eek: there's a fair bit of power in those gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

http://86.43.106.118/weewx/index.html

Some 60+ kt gusts here in Cork harbour. Maybe too early to say yet, but the sustained wind speeds seem to have dropped a bit in the last 10 minutes. Hasn't been as bad as yesterday morning or Stephen's night here yet (touch wood).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The observed tide at Wexford Harbor is now above the predicted high tide level for 10pm.

The observed tide at Wexford Harbor is now above the predicted high tide level for 10pm.

God that's bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gusting up to 50knts now in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Well it certainly hasn't been cold.

ah ok, you meant the temperature

ps - it was pretty cold swimming in the sea earlier - full full tide - refreshing , but cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Just drove home (on a motorbike) from Carrick-on-Suir to Slieverue and it was horrific! Ten years on bikes and that's the worst weather I've driven in, snow isn't even that bad!
    Got blown off the road 4 times on the way home as it's a very open road I drive on, thankfully I was taking it very handy (could barely move the bike anyway) and no harm done.
    I was blessed to have the company of some tosser in an Audi about 3 feet from the back of the bike for nearly the whole way home.

Electricity went just as I was approaching the roundabout beside my house and then came back on as I took my exit, still on now so fingers crossed we don't lose electricity during the course of the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok got home at 6.10 - hour and 10 mins after I left - not as bad as yesterday morning which took 2 hours - I'm suprised I have to say!

Looking pretty gusty in Dublin - watching Vivienne Traynor on RTE news there reporting live

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The swathe of very strong winds is now beginning to advance up the Irish at a slightly less progressive speed. Dun Laoghaire gusting to 54kts at the moment, expected to peak here near 10pm, so maybe hit 65kt?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

As rough an afternoon as I've experienced in Cork. Trees down, branches all over the roads, spot flooding. The wind and rain isn't letting up for a second

Sherkin down to 56, Roches Point down slightly to 57 at 6pm. Winds have peaked on the southwest coast and will be peaking around the central south coast areas over the next hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A handful of very strong stray gusts have made their way up to Castlebar in the last few minutes, rain moving in now as well, big contrast to the calmness we had earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Sherkin down to 56, Roches Point down slightly to 57 at 6pm. Winds have peaked on the southwest coast and will be peaking around the central south coast areas over the next hour or so.
    Thats just because the rain has cleared any showers will gust the wind again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Surprisingly windy in Galway city. It's pretty wild out

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

The River Lee is looking fairly high with hours to go before high tide...

http://tinypic.com/r/1hz39z/8

Via Twitter
    @jamesmoynihan14:
    3 hrs to high tide river lee already looks likely to bust its banks #corkfloods

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Via Twitter

oh yeah, it was that high last when it was high tide time. flooding on the way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Has been hammering down here in Limerick the past hour, I don't know what's louder the rain hitting the windows or the gusts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Lights flickering a lot here in Cahir, and going by the ESB map, the power failures are closing in!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Via Twitter

Uh oh....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Extremely windy here in Tramore, have never experienced such winds in the 17 years living here and this is only the start. The prom from what I can see on the webcam is being wiped out with waves as high as the lightposts (they are very high).

Should be an amazing night later on down on the prom. However, people are extremely being advised to stay away, it's 2 hours away from high tide and the waves are already incredible.

Here's the webcam in case anyone wants to tune in.

http://78tramore.home.dyndns.org/view/index.shtml

Getting fairly lively in Waterford City, heavy rain and strong gusts.

Dun Laoghaire weather station reporting gusts of 48.4 kts (F:10) going up by the minute. Edit 49.4 kts 2 minutes later :/
    http://www.dlhweather.com/current-details/

& Ollie Williams style sideways rain in the Wicklow weather cam
    http://www.wicklowcam.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Bad in Waterford but not as bad as Stephens night yet. Gusting to 56knots now!!

Bad in Waterford but not as bad as Stephens night yet.

Well so far no Met Eireann station has reported a gust higher than Monday morning's highest gust (125 km/h) and at 6pm only 1 Met Eireann station is reporting gale force 8 winds, so I wouldn't really call this a severe windstorm at all. What makes it interesting is the direction of the winds due to the less than typical track of the low and the risk of coastal flooding from the timing with the high tides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

A tree just took out my phonelline pole and all. This is defianly worse then I've seen it in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

The weather here in Dun Laoghaire is crazy the wind is constantly howling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Via Twitter

At a guess i would think they have the gates wide open at the dam, allowing them to build up some space in the reservoirs and stem the flow of the river in a couple of hours when the tide is due to peak. This would mean a fairly high water level in the river at the mo. As i said tho, am only guessing.

Advertisement