Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

http://77.74.50.157/cfw/

This is live data of tides and water levels in Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Upto severe gale @ DL...

Wind Speed: 41.6 kts (F: 9 )
    Gust Speed: 60.6 kts (F: 11 )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sometimes the official weather stations aren't the whole story, it would seem from reports in this thread that parts of the southeast are seeing very strong winds relative to previous events. Dun Laoghaire is wide open to this wind direction while the Dublin area stations not so much. Otherwise I would agree the winds are nothing exceptional in most cases. Once again it's a case of choosing to use level 3 to alert a few people to the risks and hoping that most other readers will understand the regional breakdown of the alerts.

Just have to ride this out now and hope the flooding isn't too severe, may downgrade to level 2 in the headline around 10 pm unless posters feel there is a continuing high risk with high tides later up the east coast.

Saturday, by the way, not really off the table especially for south coast again, track appears to be into central Ireland from WSW but quite an intense and fast-moving system. Certainly another 20-30 mm rain potential with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Due to the set up of the stations we don't have any official Met stations near the east coast.

We have recent 60kt gusts at Waterford Airport and Dun Laoghaire Harbour, on forecast.

Exposed coastal locations already recording 60 kt gusts, and peak isn't for another hour or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Fairly windy in north meath and raining, I have to say, its not as bad as i was expecting.....so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

60.6 kts (112.23km) at Dun Laoghaire, Here in D4 it's defiantly worse that Stephens day at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Wind after easing in cork.....flooding is major issue tho. High tide not due for another hour+

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

The observed tide at Wexford Harbor is now above the predicted high tide level for 10pm.

This post hasvme quite worried for Wicklow. As far as I know (I could be very wrong) there are no expected problems for Wicklow harbour and no warnings issued as far as I'm aware. I think high tide is around 2.55 am(ish). Could there be a much higher than expected tide? Anyone any advice? I didn't see any sandbags out while walking earlier. During the recent high hides the quays flooded a little but nothing too serious. I am worried the storm suge will push river over it's banks...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Remember my Live Air traffic feed from Dublin here:

http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eidw

And watch the Flight radar here:

http://www.flightradar24.com/53.49,-6.52/8

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Clamball wrote: »
    http://77.74.50.157/cfw/

This is live data of tides and water levels in Cork City

Interesting, from the look of that the flooding may not be as bad as Monday morning there, but too early to tell just yet.

• Advertisement

Getting noisy out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

very stormy in castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Worst weather here in a few years, strongest gust since 2009 and driving rain.

teddybones wrote: »
    This post hasvme quite worried for Wicklow. As far as I know (I could be very wrong) there are no expected problems for Wicklow harbour and no warnings issued as far as I'm aware. I think high tide is around 2.55 am(ish). Could there be a much higher than expected tide? Anyone any advice? I didn't see any sandbags out while walking earlier. During the recent high hides the quays flooded a little but nothing too serious. I am worried the storm suge will push river over it's banks...

Not sure about Wicklow, but it's still quickly rising in Wexford with 2+ hours to go before high tide.

rfQMEcb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

naughto wrote: »
    very stormy in castlebar

i have seen worse. i be more worried about the rain and the fact the n60 is nearly flooded at balla.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Fairly windy in north meath and raining, I have to say, its not as bad as i was expecting.....so far

what a difference in 10mins, Business has definitely picked up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Soon as the rain eases off I'll be heading down to the quay to get a few pictures and see what the flooding if any is like

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

DH just gone F12

Station: Dún Laoghaire Harbour
    Conditions As Of: 04/02/2014 19:54
    Wind Direction: SE (139º)
    Wind Speed: 44.5 kts (F: 9 )
    Gust Speed: 63.7 kts (F: 12 )
    Wave Height: 0.451 Metres

That is a strong enough wind for coastal Dublin

Wind Speed: 44.5 kts (F: 9 )
    Gust Speed: 63.7 kts (F: 12 )

• Advertisement

Soon as the rain eases off I'll be heading down to the quay to get a few pictures and see what the flooding if any is like

Our man on the scene. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I drive bikes, I'm on them everyday no matter what, I don't own a car so if I don't drive my bike I don't go anywhere and that's not an option.
    I'm not a panicker when it comes to weather like this at all, it'd take a lot to keep my indoors and I have to say this is the worst weather I've ever driven in and certainly the worst weather I've seen in a long long time, maybe ever.

We live on a very very busy main road and I can still hear constant traffic out there. I just hope everyone gets to their destination safely or if you can stay where you are, then do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Updated pic with regards to Wexford town.

iedky8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Rte are on the prom in tramore right now. might see them at the 9pm broadcast. apparently the spray is blowing higher than the prom apartments which are 3 stories high!!!!!!!!!

Think it is time for a trip to the sea side soon. Really brutal evening out there now!

aboyro wrote: »
    Rte are on the prom in tramore right now. might see them at the 9pm broadcast. apparently the spray is blowing higher than the prom apartments which are 3 stories high!!!!!!!!!

They should be at DunLaoghaire @ 9pm, would catch the 120km gusts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Wind seems to be picking up again in Cork. Anyone got an update on the flooding situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

24buijs.jpg

im trying to learn more about the weather,i read the every day to see what the guys are talking about and their views,no need to make a fool out of me

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Wind seems to be picking up again in Cork. Anyone got an update on the flooding situation?

Looks like minor flooding at the moment but not high tide yet.

Bfp85_KIIAAxX2L.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

They should be at DunLaoghaire @ 9pm, would catch the 120km gusts!

Wouldn't do as well with the Mileage Allowance ;)

Advertisement