Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Yeah that a typo. Meant east.
    Maybe I can sell the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Another drab game at the weekend, it's like we're just fulfilling fixtures for the sake of it.

I heard there was awful trouble outside the ground afterwards with a small section of the Cork brigade, hope it's just someone blowing things out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Another drab game at the weekend, it's like we're just fulfilling fixtures for the sake of it.

I heard there was awful trouble outside the ground afterwards with a small section of the Cork brigade, hope it's just someone blowing things out of proportion.

Well I saw a few lads drinking bottles and hanging around a mini bus outside the ground, assumed they were cork lads just waiting for their driver, but a couple looked fair rough, but I'd not be surprised if they were looking for trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Basically the Cork lads (Vast majority of Cork fans are fantastic btw) came for trouble, got it, and 1 ended up on the ground and another in A&E. Not nice for fans to witness but neither is being threatened with a bottle by away fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Basically the Cork lads (Vast majority of Cork fans are fantastic btw) came for trouble, got it, and 1 ended up on the ground and another in A&E. Not nice for fans to witness but neither is being threatened with a bottle by away fans.

No one ended up in A&E, he got treated for a smack to the mouth at the side of the road and from what I heard you are right, they were looking for it and got done. I'm just glad that the majority of City fans were not out of the ground yet cause there was fairly sizable mob of our eejits inside and if they were there, it would have been a different story.

On a side note, Limerick need to get out of Thomand asap, it must be killing ye slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Nice to get the win tonight.... Athlone were god awful though, so bad defensively. Limerick really should have scored a lot, lot more than they did. Gaffney wasted sooooo many chances, really good ones too, could have had 6 or 7 tonight realistically. Djilali missed a good few too.

Thing is, the first 2 goals we did get were quite fluky... a fcuk-up by the keeper, then a block by Nzuzi that ricocheted 60 yards up the field for Gaffney & Djilali to break onto, Djilali scoring off the rebound.

Can't believe how we didn't score more with all the chances we created. Duggan was my motm, he was excellent. Turner whipped in a few nice crosses, still crap defensively. Prince was good. Gaffney & Djilali both wasteful, mixed games. Lynch wasn't great, but did set up the 4th by closing down well. Folan & Oji were solid, Nzuzi had a good 2nd half.

Finally got to see Ali Abass, he was good. And finally got to see Joey Ndo... who made a few nice flicks but nothing special really.

Nice to finally see The Blues finally beat Derry tonight. I can't remember winning against them before so it kinda got me thinking about this:

Question for anyone in the know or interested in the club's history - Is this the first time Limerick have beaten a team from outside the republic (ie 26 counties) in 90 minutes? I know there was the league cup final win over Derry a few years back ok, but that went to penalties so I'm not counting it as a win. Other than that I have no recollection myself of us ever beating anyone, either in a friendly or competitive game, from outside the 26 counties.

Anyone tell me different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

As far as I know that was the first time Limerick have ever beaten Derry in a league match so I would say you could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Question for anyone in the know or interested in the club's history - Is this the first time Limerick have beaten a team from outside the republic (ie 26 counties) in 90 minutes? I know there was the league cup final win over Derry a few years back ok, but that went to penalties so I'm not counting it as a win.

We beat Derry 2-1 in Jackman Park in the first leg of the League Cup final in 02 before losing 1-0 up there and winning the tie on penalties. Last night was our first win north of the border I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

wouldnt it be great if this was our last game in thomond park tonight until the champions league qualifiers in 3 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Iang87 wrote: »
    wouldnt it be great if this was our last game in thomond park tonight until the champions league qualifiers in 3 years

Going to be announced that we are moving to the markets field tonight, been told by a number of people

Limerick 1-0 Sligo

Gaffney again. He's on fire and probably should have had a hat trick tonight. 6th in the league and in with a chance of finishing 5th.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Limerick 1-0 Sligo

Gaffney again. He's on fire and probably should have had a hat trick tonight. 6th in the league and in with a chance of finishing 5th.

At least a hat-trick, if not 4 or 5. How many chances did we miss last night? Lynch's aswell... awful.

Heavens opened for Pat's speech, fair play to him for sticking through it.

Is that the last time we'll see gaffney play a home game for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Iang87 wrote: »
    Is that the last time we'll see gaffney play a home game for us?

There'll be a lot of interest in him given his recent form. Wouldn't be surprised if there was interest from British sides.

I believe Derby were briefly looking at him when we were in the first division and I thought i read he nearly ended up at rovers during the mid season transfer window. Thank god he didnt I dont know what may have happened to us

St.Johnstone were linked at one point too I think. He does miss a lot of chances too, perhaps that might be scaring off potential suitors from further up the ladder? He's on a hell of a run though.

I suspect we could see a fair bit of change in the off season. Barry Ryan to go maybe? Will Oji go back to England? Ditto Williams. I've a hunch Nzuzi will stay on. I expect/hope Folan will leave. The guys like Djilali and O'Connor could wind up anywhere. Turner and Doherty only with us on loan. Russell will have plenty of his own ideas too I'm sure.

St.Johnstone were linked at one point too I think. He does miss a lot of chances too, perhaps that might be scaring off potential suitors from further up the ladder? He's on a hell of a run though.

I suspect we could see a fair bit of change in the off season. Barry Ryan to go maybe? Will Oji go back to England? Ditto Williams. I've a hunch Nzuzi will stay on. I expect/hope Folan will leave. The guys like Djilali and O'Connor could wind up anywhere. Turner and Doherty only with us on loan. Russell will have plenty of his own ideas too I'm sure.

From what Pat said on Friday, I wouldn't expect any big name signings?

Don't think we can afford to lose Barry Ryan, absolutely class. Wouldn't have faith in Cusack or Abass yet.

Can't afford to lose Oji either, he is the rock the defence is built on. Wouldn't like Folan either.... I mean, I don't know what wages he's on, but if they're not too exorbitant, keep him.

Williams... he'd be no loss; O'Connor is quality. Definitely should keep him, can't imagine he's on much.

I imagine Djilali will go, as will McManus, you'd hope that Lynch, Duggan, Hughes, Tracy, Prince are all here for another year.

I'd say we'll lose Gaffney... sadly. I think he'll go to Sligo or Shamrock Rovers. But we need to get someone in to replace him if he does go, we can't go around with no proper striker.

Barry Ryan will most likely retire or step back even further. He is only on part time at the moment and its probably time for a younger lad to get a chance. Ryan is still class though. Cusack will most likely go also.

From the back 4 we will do well to hang on to any of them. Folan has had interest from dublin clubs and if imagine O'Connor, Oji and Leahy will have teams from dublin sniffing around.

The midfield needs to be kept together and I think most of it will be. Djilali has played well in his last few games. Depending on cost I think he'd be worth holding on to.

Up top we need Gaffney as a priority signing. A lot of interest from clubs in Dublin for him also. McManus is gone and pretty much has been for weeks now.

Russell will have his own ideas and a small budget so it will be interesting to see what he does.

Ali, Oji, Folan, Nzuzi, Leahy, Whitehead, O'Connor, Hughes, Prince, Lee Jay, Duggan (1 year left on contract), Gaffney, Djillali are who I think would be a great spine to start off next season with.

Barry Ryan will most likely retire or step back even further. He is only on part time at the moment and its probably time for a younger lad to get a chance. Ryan is still class though. Cusack will most likely go also.

From the back 4 we will do well to hang on to any of them. Folan has had interest from dublin clubs and if imagine O'Connor, Oji and Leahy will have teams from dublin sniffing around.

The midfield needs to be kept together and I think most of it will be. Djilali has played well in his last few games. Depending on cost I think he'd be worth holding on to.

Up top we need Gaffney as a priority signing. A lot of interest from clubs in Dublin for him also. McManus is gone and pretty much has been for weeks now.

Russell will have his own ideas and a small budget so it will be interesting to see what he does.

Ali, Oji, Folan, Nzuzi, Leahy, Whitehead, O'Connor, Hughes, Prince, Lee Jay, Duggan (1 year left on contract), Gaffney, Djillali are who I think would be a great spine to start off next season with.

I know Barry is getting on, but he's still class... probably the best shot-stopper in the league. I'd try my best to keep him on.

You could add Tracy to that list... he's still a decent player. Although I could see other clubs being interested.

I just think that Djilali is on a decent wedge, and can't see him being here. Obviously re-signing Gaffney should be a major priority, but I think he might move all the same.

The Shane Clarke rumours are also around again.

• Advertisement

I know Cork are looking at Clarke again also. I just can't see it happening unless it's financially viable for him. He has a full time job at the moment from what I heard so would need to be getting at least that wage and a decent contract length or he'd be mad to leave his job. Russell said he would look at him again but I would expect Cork and Galway to be interested also.

Barry Ryan has had another great season and I would offer him another year if it was up to me. Have been impressed with Shane O'Connor and I'd love to see himself and Oji stay. They'll both have other offers to consider you'd imagine. I'd be quietly confident Leahy will stay too (he'd have a bit of history with Russell right?) and would be a likely start if (fingers crossed) Folan and his ego decamp to someplace more befitting his opinion of himself. He improved this year but wouldn't be a loss.

As long as Russell wants them I'd be hopeful our local midfield would stay. Duggan, Hughes, Lynch and Tracy are all worth keeping though Shane (with injury and mobility issues) is marginally more disposable for me.

I'd expect Gaffney will move on but wouldn't be massively shocked if we got another year out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

6th place in the end, I'm pretty pleased with that all told. It's an improvement on last season, which I thought was going to be difficult, and it certainly wasn't on the cards in June/July.

There is a sense that we could have done a bit better considering some of the poorer results we got (two home defeats to Drogheda, 0-0 v Bray on opening night, the hammering in Athlone), but these are offset by some excellent wins I didn't see coming (St Pats x 2, away to Derry). In fact, the only two teams we didn't beat in the league this year were the top two.

As harsh as it sounds, the decision to replace Taylor with Russell has been justified given where we were when the change was made compared to where we finished. Let it not be forgotten, though, that Taylor did a very good job in the club's first top flight season in 19 years and brought some fine players to Limerick, such as Oji, Nzuzi and Curran.

Roll on the Markets Field next year and, all going well, another top half finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ya as it stands:

Gaffney - Cambridge United
    Lee Jay Lynch - Hamilton Accademical
    Barry Ryan - Released
    Kieran Djillali - Cork City

Supposed to be around 7 signed up. Ali Abass, Prince Ageymang and Abdel Bouraima confirmed.

Ya as it stands:

Gaffney - Cambridge United
    Lee Jay Lynch - Hamilton Accademical
    Barry Ryan - Released
    Kieran Djillali - Cork City

Supposed to be around 7 signed up. Ali Abass, Prince Ageymang and Abdel Bouraima confirmed.

It's not good the players we've lost though. Don't know why Barry Ryan was let go. Are his wages that high? Still an absolutely class goalkeeper.

Only proper goalscorer and Lynch, who was an excellent signing. Djilali, less worried about that, but he did have a bit of flair. We would need to replace those players to compete at the same level.

We were never going to hold onto Lynch and Gaffney when a team from the SPL and an English team came in.

Not sure the story with Barry Ryan but I saw he started an new job in shannon so maybe russell didn't want a part time goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Best of luck to him.

It's quite likely he'll be back home within
    eighteen months. Most LOI players and managers,indeed, who move to British football just can't seem to cut the mustard at a higher level. Seamus Coleman is the only recent exception to that rule that springs to mind.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    It's quite likely he'll be back home within
    eighteen months. Most LOI players and managers,indeed, who move to British football just can't seem to cut the mustard at a higher level. Seamus Coleman is the only recent exception to that rule that springs to mind.

You think? How recent are we talking like? Might be going further back than suits your argument but off the top of my head Stephen Ward, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, David Forde, Sean Dillon, Padraig Amond, Enda Stevens, David Meyler, Conor Sammon, Daryl Murphy, Noel Hunt, Brian Murphy, James McClean, Paddy Madden, Gary Dicker and Richie Foran have all made careers for themselves over there without the need to come home. That's not including the likes of Wes Hoolahan, Jonny Douglas or Damien Delaney who went over earlier.

Advertisement