Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You think? How recent are we talking like? Might be going further back than suits your argument but off the top of my head Stephen Ward, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, David Forde, Sean Dillon, Padraig Amond, Enda Stevens, David Meyler, Conor Sammon, Daryl Murphy, Noel Hunt, Brian Murphy, James McClean, Paddy Madden, Gary Dicker and Richie Foran have all made careers for themselves over there without the need to come home. That's not including the likes of Wes Hoolahan, Jonny Douglas or Damien Delaney who went over earlier.

Gaffney has signed for Cambridge Utd.,a club in the fourth tier of English football. It's unlikely he will ever progress beyond that level.The standard of player and football played in LOI is mostly comparable to that in the Vauxhall Conference,or whatever it's called these days. Now,there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a fact.So, a lot of these guys coming from the mostly part-time LOI background become overwhelmed by the demands of a full-time professional environment.The names you have mentioned are indeed noteworthy but would still be regarded as atypical of the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

chicorytip wrote: »
    The standard of player and football played in LOI is mostly comparable to that in the Vauxhall Conference,or whatever it's called these days. Now,there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a fact.

That's literally not a fact but an opinion. Not that there's anything wrong with that either. Everybody has one. Mine is that the gaps in football standards are a whole lot closer than people realise. And it's the Vanarama Conference these days.

You said that "Most LOI players and managers,indeed, who move to British football just can't seem to cut the mustard" and suggested that Gaffney would be home after this contract expires. I've named 19 guys off the top of my head who have made successful careers over there after leaving this league in relatively recent history. I could have included the likes of John O'Flynn or Keith Fahy who returned to the league here after decent runs in the UK also. I'll give you Gary Rowett as a manager who cut his teeth here too and has done alright for himself.

I'm not wholly convinced Gaffney will be a resounding success in England (he missed a lot of chances for Limerick this year too) but I certainly wouldn't denigrate what the guy has achieved in the game thus far either. He has every chance of spending his prime years relatively successfully over there if he stays fit and happy and has a little rub of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

chicorytip wrote: »
    Gaffney has signed for Cambridge Utd.,a club in the fourth tier of English football. It's unlikely he will ever progress beyond that level.The standard of player and football played in LOI is mostly comparable to that in the Vauxhall Conference,or whatever it's called these days. Now,there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a fact.So, a lot of these guys coming from the mostly part-time LOI background become overwhelmed by the demands of a full-time professional environment.The names you have mentioned are indeed noteworthy but would still be regarded as atypical of the norm.[/Q

RUBBISH!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Is the shop in Arthurs Quay gone now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya gone about a month now. Have heard it is moving but nothing official from the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Maybe we need a new thread for 2015, but in the meantime, former player Rory Gaffney could be playing against Man Utd as Cambridge have drawn them in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Maybe we need a new thread for 2015, but in the meantime, former player Rory Gaffney could be playing against Man Utd as Cambridge have drawn them in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup.

Any word on how Rory is doing with Cambridge?

DBIreland wrote: »
    Any word on how Rory is doing with Cambridge?

He was only officially registered today, by all accounts. So up till know, he's only been training with them. We'll see if he gets a game next weekend... I imagine if they are going to include him, it will be from the bench at the start.

They are mid-table, but on a poor enough run of form. Although they are one of the highest scorers in the league, so they can't exactly be stuck for strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

Sad state of affairs when a cup draw for a former player is actually the best news of the off season so far.

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    Sad state of affairs when a cup draw for a former player is actually the best news of the off season so far.

The best news is that Folan is gone but I take your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Anyone else noticed Craig Curran scoring for Ross County on Sunday?

I miss him, was my favourite during the 2013 season

I suppose there's no real point in setting up a new thread, adds to a bit of continuity, which the club themselves sadly seem to be lacking.

Won in the Munster Senior Cup today and that's good and everything, but if that team takes to the field in the League of Ireland, we'll be going down, I fear. Barely have any players of the required standard.

I'm excited about the return to the Market's Field, but it really is last chance saloon in terms of getting supporters back on board. I get that Pat doesn't want to spend big on new players but if we go there and get beaten, the supporters will not come. They have to at least to attempt to play decent football or win lots of games. We had an alright season last year in the end, but they need to start putting together cup runs... and the players that got us comfortably mid-table last year aren't there anymore.

According to the club website, we have 10 players in the first-team squad. And that includes Whitehead, Rainsford, Feeney and Mann who are youth players. We've re-signed Williams, who is not very good, and Duggan, who is decent but can't do it all on his own. Of the newcomers, O'Connor is a good player, not too sure about O'Donnell; Clarke & Russell both scored today, I'm not sure either are good enough, hopefully they are.

But you're looking at the players they're trying to replace already, and that's without strengthening further. Why Barry Ryan was allowed retire, I don't know, class goalkeeper, arguably the best in the league. Unlikely O'Donnell is going to be as good as him.

From last year's defence; no Nzuzi, Oji, Folan, O'Connor, Leahy, Tracy... some of them may yet sign on. Folan is gone, I know some people slagged him, but he was solid last year and is a lot better than Williams. He'll be a loss, particularly if Oji doesn't re-sign, as he held us together last year. O'Connor has signed for Cobh in the 1st Division... I can't believe they were a more attractive proposition for us, he was superb when he signed. Maybe Leahy & Tracy will sign on but they've been injury prone and Nzuzi's not been as good in recent times.

Then in midfield, I'm hoping that Hughes & Prince do sign on... our midfield should be okay then even if we're lacking a proper ball-winner. If they are given the freedom to play, Prince and Duggan can cause teams problems. If those 2 don't sign, we'll be in trouble. Lynch will be a loss, even though you couldn't deny him a move to the SPL really.

In attack, Gaffney's departure leaves a huge gaping hole. You can presume McManus isn't coming back, we had already lost the likes of Curran, Galbraith and Axel who had provided a bit of creativity since coming back up. Djilali is gone again, who provided creativity sometimes, although he was disappointing too. Doherty hasn't re-signed either, I wasn't too impressed with him but considering what's left, I'd have taken him. Turner played today and I never really liked him because of his defensive frailties but at least he does try and get forward... I'm not sure that the likes of Rainsford or Tracy are the answer out wide either. As of right now, it's a lot of pressure on Clarke to fill Gaffney's shoes.

The starting team today was pretty much full-strength available and was:
    O'Donnell
    O'Connor Whitehead Williams Murphy
    O'Connor Duggan Rainsford
    Turner Clarke Russell

I'm guessing as to how they lined out, but that was the starting 11 anyway. Holland, O'Donnell, Costelloe, McGuire, Feeney, Mann and McSweeney were the subs, all young players.

This has been a long post, but at the moment, we have no depth, and not enough quality in the first 11 either. Really gutted about losing Ryan & O'Connor, I accept there's not much we could do about Gaffney or Lynch.

I really really really really hope we sign Oji, we desperately need him. If he goes, massive blow.

Apart from that, if we get Abass, Nzuzi, Leahy, Tracy, Hughes, Prince, Turner, maybe Doherty; it will be a start. Maybe it'd be worth having another look at Shane Clarke and other top junior players considering the current state of the squad.

Rory Patterson is still without a club and we were reportedly interested, but I imagine he'd ask for quite a bit of money. Would be a good signing though, he is a goalscorer.

As far as I can tell, these players are also unsigned atm, maybe some would be worth a look? (Not 100% on the accuracy of this, just going off extratime):

Ismahil Akinade of Bray, big strong man up front, with a nice bit of skill. I do rate him.
    Derek Foran of St. Pats, good defender.
    Mark Quigley... not mad on him, but desperate times.
    Iarfhlaoith Davoren, decent full-back imo.
    Derry haven't signed that many back, the likes of Shaun Kelly are free, but I don't see him signing after just having left, sadly.

Not really that much available tbh, Galway managed to get O'Leary, Longford got Mark Rossiter and Evan MacMillan has dropped a division to go to UCD. Who's Gary Shanahan playing for these days?

I just think we're shooting ourselves in the foot by not having a proper pre-season with a full squad. Wasn't that excuse used before?

This is how we lined up today

O Donnell

Whitehead O'Connor Williams

Turner Duggan O'Conor Russell Murphy

Rainsford

Clarke.

That team contains every single senior player we have at the minute.

Apart from that, if we get Abass, Nzuzi, Leahy, Tracy, Hughes, Prince, Turner, maybe Doherty; it will be a start. Maybe it'd be worth having another look at Shane Clarke and other top junior players considering the current state of the squad.

Rory Patterson is still without a club and we were reportedly interested, but I imagine he'd ask for quite a bit of money. Would be a good signing though, he is a goalscorer.

As far as I can tell, these players are also unsigned atm, maybe some would be worth a look? (Not 100% on the accuracy of this, just going off extratime):

Ismahil Akinade of Bray, big strong man up front, with a nice bit of skill. I do rate him.
    Derek Foran of St. Pats, good defender.
    Mark Quigley... not mad on him, but desperate times.
    Iarfhlaoith Davoren, decent full-back imo.
    Derry haven't signed that many back, the likes of Shaun Kelly are free, but I don't see him signing after just having left, sadly.

Not really that much available tbh, Galway managed to get O'Leary, Longford got Mark Rossiter and Evan MacMillan has dropped a division to go to UCD. Who's Gary Shanahan playing for these days?

Just on these bits Abass and Prince are supposedly signed will be over late like last season cos of work permits. Truner is signed you have to be signed to play in the Munster Senior Cup. Doherty wont be re-signing was released before last season ended. Be surprised if Shane Clarke went near the place after they messed him around again last season.

On the other players you mentioned:
    Ismahil Akinade: Wouldnt want him near the club for non footballing reasons.

Derek Foran: I'd take him now.

Mark Quigley: As above.

Iarfhlaoith Davoren: As above but will end up at Galway I reckon.

Shaun Kelly: Is signed with Derry for this season they have 18 signed.

Gary Shannahan: Is at Galway thank god id be afraid we would sign him otherwise.

Gary Shanahan re-signed with Galway as far as I Know. Akinade was involved in a sexual assault case up in dublin so I would imagine a lot are staying clear of him.

Agree with pretty much everything in your post.

Right now we need 6 or 7 decent signings to be 3rd worst team in the league.

Interesting on the formation, 3-5-2 takes some of the pressure off someone like Williams and probably allows him to use some of his ability, but I wouldn't trust Turner as a wing-back at all. Not against a good team anyway.

I do prefer Rainsford through the middle than out wide... at least it does seem like a formation that is set up for the players that are actually at our disposal rather than shoehorning players into a formation that doesn't fit.

Shanahan isn't top class or anything, but he scored 8 or 9 goals at Dundalk a few years ago, is Limerick-born and is better than what we have. I wouldn't be turning up our nose at anything at this stage.

I didn't know that about Akinade... he is a good player though, but not worth the hassle until that's sorted out one way or another.

At least if Prince does sign, he is a quality footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

For the last few years the pre-season posts on here have left me optimistic , this year .............. not so much :(

Interesting on the formation, 3-5-2 takes some of the pressure off someone like Williams and probably allows him to use some of his ability, but I wouldn't trust Turner as a wing-back at all. Not against a good team anyway.

I do prefer Rainsford through the middle than out wide... at least it does seem like a formation that is set up for the players that are actually at our disposal rather than shoehorning players into a formation that doesn't fit.

Shanahan isn't top class or anything, but he scored 8 or 9 goals at Dundalk a few years ago, is Limerick-born and is better than what we have. I wouldn't be turning up our nose at anything at this stage.

I didn't know that about Akinade... he is a good player though, but not worth the hassle until that's sorted out one way or another.

At least if Prince does sign, he is a quality footballer.

Honestly think we could get better in the junior leagues than Shanahan and not even the top junior players. All about opinions like.

The junior players we are going after is a joke too.

Agree on Prince at least that is another one with some quality take Rainsford out of that team and put Duggy or O'Conor behind the striker then.

We also have Abdel Bouriama to come in and word is he is a fine player. Fast and skilful.

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    We also have Abdel Bouriama to come in and word is he is a fine player. Fast and skilful.

Told yesterday he isn't coming.

Told yesterday he isn't coming.

Ah Jesus, your joking me. If that's the case then we must be rightly goosed financially. IF he isn't signing then not a hope we are getting Oji Id imagine.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ah Jesus, your joking me. If that's the case then we must be rightly goosed financially. IF he isn't signing then not a hope we are getting Oji Id imagine.

I asked about him and was told they didn't think he was coming because there was a problem with his registration last year that could now lead to a problem with his work permit application so doesn't sound like its cos of money. I asked could it possibly get sorted and was told possibly but not likely.

I asked about him and was told they didn't think he was coming because there was a problem with his registration last year that could now lead to a problem with his work permit application so doesn't sound like its cos of money. I asked could it possibly get sorted and was told possibly but not likely.

All of which only serves to underline the suggestion that the club would be better off investing time and effort in players that don't have so much red tape involved in signing them. It's not like we've seen any huge benefits from our forays into work permits so far. Prince has been good but a long way from amazing and Ali hasn't made any real impact yet either. I'm not convinced that they've been any better than what else is around the league (which, for the most part, comes without the baggage of work permits).

All of which only serves to underline the suggestion that the club would be better off investing time and effort in players that don't have so much red tape involved in signing them. It's not like we've seen any huge benefits from our forays into work permits so far. Prince has been good but a long way from amazing and Ali hasn't made any real impact yet either. I'm not convinced that they've been any better than what else is around the league (which, for the most part, comes without the baggage of work permits).

I'd agree with you on that when Prince first came I thought he showed signes he could be something special but he never lived up to it. In fact when Russell came in he dropped him and I think we played better with Duggan Hughes and Lynch in there.

We have signed Kieran "Red" Hanlon from Pike. The same Kieran Hanlon we released to sign for Pike a few weeks after Russell came in.

Lots of rumours going around about Limerick today. I'm presuming they are just rumours.

Lots of rumours going around about Limerick today. I'm presuming they are just rumours.

It seems we are not bringing in any more experienced players as there is no budget there to do so. The team will filled up from here on with under 19's and Junior players.

A few people have been let go from the club out in Bruff.

While it doesn't sound good it seems people have jumped to the conclusion we are pulling out of the league completely and there isn't a penny available to run the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

There was a post on Facebook from the Blue Army Loyalty Club saying that there was an interview on LIve 95 this morning, saying that that the club is in real trouble unless a backer is found and that we do not have enough players to start the season and have no pre season friendlies and that there is serious doubt we will make the season.
    Any truth in this?

• Advertisement

banjobongo wrote: »
    There was a post on Facebook from the Blue Army Loyalty Club saying that there was an interview on LIve 95 this morning, saying that that the club is in real trouble unless a backer is found and that we do not have enough players to start the season and have no pre season friendlies and that there is serious doubt we will make the season.
    Any truth in this?

In short yes.

Advertisement