Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

So basically we could end up having a new pitch and group, but no team to actually play there?..

Limerick FC never cease to find new ways to surprise me..

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

bennyl10 wrote: »
    So basically we could end up having a new pitch and group, but no team to actually play there?..

Looking a very real possibility. Talk from Live 95Fm lads this morning was if a backer isn't found then there wont be a Limerick FC at the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

bennyl10 wrote: »

Unfortunatly the club the based in a city full of excuse making ****e talkers. POS provided a Prem League team playing in a world class stadium and didn't get the backing needed to push on.

Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Just dropped into this thread but surely there will be a decent money stream for the opening few games in the markets field, 4/5000 people surely at games , why cant it be like the old days there with players from the locality getting a modest few quid & a far greater bond with fans rather than these people from foreign parts who most people cant pronounce their name & zero connection with....not sure how the rules work but would the Eoin Hanrahans etc of the world not be good enough to line out for Limerick?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

hurler32 wrote: »
    Just dropped into this thread but surely there will be a decent money stream for the opening few games in the markets field, 4/5000 people surely at games , why cant it be like the old days there with players from the locality getting a modest few quid & a far greater bond with fans rather than these people from foreign parts who most people cant pronounce their name & zero connection with....not sure how the rules work but would the Eoin Hanrahans etc of the world not be good enough to line out for Limerick?

The new Markets Field will only hold around 1500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Not a hope we will get near 4/5000 people in the gate. The grounds capacity will only be about 3,000 max anyway. You could potentially see 1,500-2,000 at the first game and it will steady out at about 600 people at the majority of games.

We will be a team with a lot of local lads on modest money. The problem is the local lads aren't good enough for premier level. We have had teams full of locals in the past and been one of the weakest first division teams not to mind the premier. The crowds that came out to support the local lads were the usual 300-400 people as well.

The sad thing is the people of Limerick want a league or cup winning team or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

statement today from the LimerickFC website http://www.limerickfc.ie/statement-from-chairman-pat-osullivan
    in which OSullivan is saying that he has achieved his objectives for the club and that he is not prepared to fund the club any longer so the club now has to learn to live within its budget....

banjobongo wrote: »
    statement today from the LimerickFC website http://www.limerickfc.ie/statement-from-chairman-pat-osullivan
    in which OSullivan is saying that he has achieved his objectives for the club and that he is not prepared to fund the club any longer so the club now has to learn to live within its budget....

And in fairness to Pat, from day one that is what he said.

Time for us to stand on our own two feet now with the structures in place and see if the "sporting" people of Limerick really want senior football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

He did say that, and it's fair enough but I do think that it's a pity that now that we've made the move to the Market's Field that we will have the weakest squad since coming up.

And the fact is people won't come to watch the games if we're losing. I'll be there but in general, they just won't come.

I just wonder how much money was squandered on players like Brown, McManus, even Williams. I would hate to see us get relegated again after all the effort of coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

Ya the worst thing about all this is the timing with moving back to Markets Field. Can't help but feel that missing this last opportunity to get a support behind us will kill us anyway.

• Advertisement

Gaffney is on the bench for Cambridge at Old Trafford tonight. Would be his debut if he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

No football in the Market Fields for March at least: http://www.limerickfc.ie/statement-from-the-chairman-markets-field

And I would wager we won't see football there till June at least.

How the Markets Field took two years to go to tender and start being built is baffling. The season is kicking off in March. There is a sheet going around with the details of the build and on it it states that it will take a minimum of 18weeks to build. Why they continued to say it would be ready for the start of the season knowing that is mind boggling.

Jofspring wrote: »
    And I would wager we won't see football there till June at least.

How the Markets Field took two years to go to tender and start being built is baffling. The season is kicking off in March. There is a sheet going around with the details of the build and on it it states that it will take a minimum of 18weeks to build. Why they continued to say it would be ready for the start of the season knowing that is mind boggling.

Will it be back to Thomond Park, or have you any idea where Limerick will start the season?

I would imagine Thomond Park. It's the only venue in Limerick suitable. Munster are pretty much finished in Thomond Park for this season so it is sitting idle anyway. Massive opportunity missed by Limerick once again.

Jofspring wrote: »
    I would imagine Thomond Park. It's the only venue in Limerick suitable. Munster are pretty much finished in Thomond Park for this season so it is sitting idle anyway. Massive opportunity missed by Limerick once again.

It really is, after trying for so long to get back to Premier Division status and then not to build on it is sad. I'm sure the Market Fields on opening night would have drawn a big enough crowd, if even for nostalgia sake.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Fortress Hogan Park. LOL.

A mid-season return to the Market's Field could get a big crowd if results haven't been too bad before that. If they've been awful, I can't see them matching what they would have got on the opening day.

I presume they have a contingency plan in place as people have been saying for ages that it wouldn't be ready. I had hoped they were wrong and the club knew what they were doing it when saying there was going to be a return in March, but obviously not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Too much time and effort put into underage and not enough in the senior set up,need professional people getting issues sorted,stinks of amaturism.

We do seem to have a few more players in now, and on trials. Don't know how good they all are, but we have more numbers than we had. Lost to Cobh in a friendly 3-2 on Friday.

Had the new defender Harding in there, don't know what he's like. Had Price, formerly of Rovers & Bohs at centre-back, and Vinny Faherty & Romanian Raul Gaspar on the bench. Not sure what formation was played, Ross Mann seems to have been listed as a left-back?

Clarke has scored a few goals, maybe he's decent enough. Still, depth doesn't seem strong.

We currently have, possible in italics:

GK- Conor O'Donnell

DR- Sean Harding
    DL- Robbie Williams, Colm Murphy
    DC- Tony Whitehead, Aidan Price

MC- Shane Duggan, Paul O'Conor, Val Feeney, Raul Gaspar

RW- Ian Turner
    LW- Gavin Dillon, Sean Russell

AM- Darragh Rainsford

ST- Dean Clarke, Kieran Hanlon, Ross Mann, Vinny Faherty

That's 18 players, including the trialists, and there's no guarantee that they are going to sign. And some of those 18 aren't exactly top players...

What's a strongest 11?
    O'Donnell
    Harding Price Whitehead Williams
    O'Conor Duggan Feeney
    Turner Clarke Russell

Really not great. Cannot believe that Oji was willing to sign and they didn't get him, that is absolute madness. How can you re-sign Williams and not Oji? And Tracy playing junior football? I don't think he was top class or anything, severely lacked pace and strength, but he could pick out a cross and a pass and was very useful from set-pieces. Would walk into that side anyway in a number of positions.

Surely we have to get Hughes on board? A midfield trio of O'Conor, Hughes & Duggan would be pretty decent tbf. Oji probably could have made the defence alrigh, we'll struggle big time without him- Whitehead is just too inexperienced, Williams isn't good enough and I don't know what the newcomers are like really, Price is experienced at least but he's getting on.

Was never a fan of Turner really.

And backup seems poor too, Faherty would be a decent enough signing, I suppose.

• Advertisement

Is shane costelloe stii there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Any shops in town with the new kit? I'm having trouble buying one online.

Online is the only place you can get them.

Not sure the story with Shane Costello. Had assumed he was still at the club but haven't seen his name mentioned in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 E.Scifo

WTF, ok I'm all with cutting our cloth but do we have to go out in the nude... Oji gone to Galway, I presume then that money was not an issue or have we not got anything at all to pay in terms of wages? For me he was one of the top defenders in the league last year. Did Russell not want him? How could he not want him? Really, how could he not want him.. If he did, then what is going on?

Club had agreed a contract with Oji. He came over from the UK, trained, played a friendly. The club then tried to go back on the offer and offered reduced terms. Oji wanted what was originally offered, and rightfully so. Galway made their move as soon as it fell through and that was that.

It has upset a lot of fans. The loss of Oji would easily knock 60-70 more people off the gate. The guy would have nearly paid for himself with the quality he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Limerick FC ‏@LimerickFCie 18m18 minutes ago
    Limerick FC are delighted to announce that we have tonight secured Jackman Park as a home venue for our forthcoming games #loi

Limerick FC ‏@LimerickFCie 18m18 minutes ago
    Limerick FC are delighted to announce that we have tonight secured Jackman Park as a home venue for our forthcoming games #loi

The jacks are back..

I actually like Jackman Park... not as fancy as Thomond Park, but the atmosphere was better, the crowds were bigger and I don't think the surface was much worse, TP got a bit sandy at times.

Oji really is a huge, huge loss. One of the best defenders in the league for sure, his physical presence, positional sense and his leadership were all vital; he helped Folan become a better player too. It's almost unbelievable that they'd let him go... I know money must be tight, but if I had the choice of picking any player to keep, it would be him by a mile. Gaffney & Ryan would be second and third, I know we were never likely to keep Gaffney once an English team were involved, but Ryan has now retired...

After the way Ryan has been carrying on over and Twitter since leaving I'm less upset about him leaving.

At least Conor O'Donnell is considered one of the best young keepers in the country and was called into the irish under 21's a few times.

Happy enough with jackman once it is only temporary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Glad to see the ground situation sorted for the time being at least, still doesn't save face from the Markets Field fiasco but Jackman was the right call. Thomond is a size 12 shoe for a size 4 Limerick and the thought of having to play 'home' games outside the locality made me shudder.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Any shops in town with the new kit? I'm having trouble buying one online.

This got me thinking...why don't they have it? Granted, I know they wouldn't sell anywhere near as many as EPL jersies but surely there are enough sports shops in the city to stock at least a few Limerick kits? It seems comical that a team's kit isn't even physically in stock in its own city. Imagine going to Hartlepool and not being able to get a Hartlepool United shirt anywhere.

Advertisement