Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

You could get Limerick gear in Gleesons Sports before.

The problem from what I heard was the profit being made on Jersey sales was vey minimal and then the sports shops want a cut of that as well. Then it's harder to keep the shops in stock.

Over in the UK teams are actually sponsored by a manufacturer like Nike, Adidas, macro, so they would supply big numbers of gear to sell on. In Ireland the sales are so low it's the clubs themselves that source and pay for the kit from an irish supplier then sell it on.

Limerick opened their own shop because they stocked it themselves and any profit was their own. It was great in the beginning with good sales but there wasn't the support there to keep the shop going or to keep it fully stocked which ultimately led to its failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Jofspring wrote: »
    After the way Ryan has been carrying on over and Twitter since leaving I'm less upset about him leaving.

At least Conor O'Donnell is considered one of the best young keepers in the country and was called into the irish under 21's a few times.

Happy enough with jackman once it is only temporary.

That's possibly true with Ryan, but since getting promoted, his on-field performances were top class... won us a lot of points on his own, better than some of the other "big names" we had on the books at times.

And work is actually ongoing in the Market's Field, so it is likely only to be temporary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Is Jackman Park for definite? I will be delighted if its true. Thomond is great and all but it was too big to develop any sort of "home advantage" in terms of atmosphere.

Ya Jackman is 100%.

Next Saturday 6:30 vs Bohs the season starts.

I'd hope the LEDP's target having The Markets Field ready for May 16th as it's a home game to Cork City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Yea it would have been nice to have The Markets Field ready for the opener though :D

Looking forward to the season getting back started

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Ya Jackman is 100%.

Next Saturday 6:30 vs Bohs the season starts.

I'd hope the LEDP's target having The Markets Field ready for May 16th as it's a home game to Cork City.

6.30, is it not 7?

6.30, is it not 7?

No the website announced 6:30 to accommodate travelling fans getting trains. Supposedly it will be that time all season.

No the website announced 6:30 to accommodate travelling fans getting trains. Supposedly it will be that time all season.

Ah Christ, cutting it a tad tight for work, finish about 6.15 all going well

6.30 is a bit early, but I suppose it's a Saturday... I actually liked Friday football tbh; it's how I managed to start going in the first place.

It kinda slipped my mind how close it was to kicking off, are we going to have any more players? Are the likes of Price & Faherty signing?

If we go out with a team of O'Donnell; Harding, Whitehead, Williams; Turner, Murphy, Duggan, O'Conor, Feeney; Russell, Clarke or something along those lines, we'll get beaten, i'd imagine.

Have heard nothing about Price or Faherty but I'd imagine Faherty will sign since he has trained with the team for a while now.

Preferred Friday myself. Saturday will hit a lot of people when the summer months kick in and people start heading off for weekends. Friday meant you could go to a game and head off after it if you wanted.

• Advertisement

Have heard nothing about Price or Faherty but I'd imagine Faherty will sign since he has trained with the team for a while now.

Preferred Friday myself. Saturday will hit a lot of people when the summer months kick in and people start heading off for weekends. Friday meant you could go to a game and head off after it if you wanted.

Plus you will also lose people to Premier League matches, which doesn't happen on Friday. It mightn't be what you want but a lot of people would rather watch the late Premier League game, which generally involves one of the top teams, than stand in the cold in Jackman Park. (Well, it might get warm eventually)

Went out to Clounreask today for the MSC game. Wasn't expecting a huge amount to be honest, but it was a decent performance tbh. It is very hard to tell how we'll adapt to actual competitive matches though, Cork weren't great at all. Limerick had a full-strength team bar Russell.

Fell a goal behind early on, and I thought we were going to get hammered but bounced back quickly, unbelievable first touch by Rainsford and a lovely chip over the keeper, Clarke possibly kicked it over the line but it was going in anyway. Liam Miller scored an absolute screamer for Cork, but Williams then headed in from a corner. Went to extra-time, Duggan scored via a very heavy deflection before they bundled a ball over the line from a free-kick after we had fcuked up a 4-on-2 laptop, Turner somehow failed to find Clarke. O'Donnell saved a last-minute penalty from Dennehy, and did unbelievably to save the rebound. Harding was sent-off for a two-footed tackle but harsh, I think, definitely got the ball and it was arguable. Ref wasn't great. 7-6 on penalties then, none saved, Darren Dennehy hit the bar.

Cold, quite wet, and huge wind.

Player-by-player:

O'Donnell- Unbelievable save from the rebound. Seems to be two-footed, which is unusual for a goalkeeper... willingly kicked out of hand with his left foot, but took his goal-kicks with his right foot. Not actually great either, kicked straight out of play a few times. Seemed to be dodgy from set-pieces, 2 goals conceded from set-pieces and he didn't seem commanding for either.

Harding- Some great tough tackles, couple of nice passes but very slow to get back into position. Seemed rusty, but possibly alright.

Costelloe- Not a left-back, think he struggled a bit.

O'Connor- For a 17-year-old in one of the most important positions, he was superb. Very assured, good in the air against a strong Cork attack. Very promising.

Williams- As ye probably know, not his biggest fan, but he was pretty good today. Lead by example, didn't just hoof the ball, won some headers, scored a goal.

Mann- Got the better of Darren Dennehy a few times, Dennehy should have been booked for chopping him down. Lots of pace, worked hard, I think he did alright. Is he a top division player? Still not sure. Good to see someone like him get chances though.

Turner- On the left wing, so not really suited to it. Did alright though, good whipped corner for Williams' goal. He's going to be an important player for us too.

O'Conor- Showed some good signs, but didn't dominate. Still, he is a very decent player... if we were to add Hughes, we'd have a very good midfield.

Duggan- He was superb. My MotM, dominated the midfield. Ran his heart out, some lovely passing, tackled, drove forward... gave it everything. Super game.

Rainsford- His first touch today was unbelievable. He's got criticism from people before, but he was good today, even if his final ball let him down at times. Worked hard, and the 1st goal was all down to him, absolutely class. Looked promising in the hole.

Clarke- Not really a game for strikers, I felt sorry for him, because this could be the story of the season for him. Doesn't really have the frame to hold up the ball like Gaffney, but he was being asked to do so. Looked okay when he actually got the ball in front of him. First touch let him down a few times and there was three times where he was clean through if he got the pass, but Turner, Rainsford and then Turner again failed to pick him out. Hopefully he'll do more in time.

Murphy- First sub, came on for Costelloe. Did well enough.

McSweeney- Came on for Mann at the end of 90 minutes, looked lively enough, nice touch.

Feeney- Came on for Duggan, didn't do a huge amount.

Overall, it was encouraging, all things considering. Very young team, tried their best and did alright. But will it be enough? Hard to say... we'll certainly have to defend set-pieces better. Think we do have to add a few more players though, as there is no depth at all.

Pat was standing to a tall, fair-haired fella who looked like he might be a player... didn't recognise him, any ideas?

Didn't see who pat was talking to but chances are it was Aidan Price (CB).

Didn't see who pat was talking to but chances are it was Aidan Price (CB).

Googled him to see what he looked like, I don't think it was him but I could be mistaken. Thought it might be that Gaspar fella as well, but apparently he has dark hair. I dunno, it probably wasn't even a player.

Price & Faherty signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I work close to UL so I regularly see the senior team training there.
    My two boys play for the academy so they train in LIT.
    What are the new grounds in Bruff used for, if all training is done in UL or LIT, anybody know?
    When the Market Fields will be set up, will the senior team do all their training there, will the academy do any training there?
    Just wondering.....
    cheers
    bb

The Markets Field will only be available to the club on the morning of a match till that night after the game has finished so there will be no training done there.

At the moment Bruff is being used mainly by the local people out there. I have seen courses going on out there like cooking classes and also fitness classes seem to be going on there. It seems to be a building for the community. The club offices are also out there.

Bruff is to be developed into the training facility for the entire club with dorms for over night. It's very expensive for the club to rent LIT and UL so they are looking at Bruff as the long term solution.

First match of the season tomorrow, 6:30 Jackman Park. A lot of young local lads involved so the support is badly needed.

How much will it be in, do we know?

€12 terrace, €15 stand. There is a list on the Limerick FC website and Facebook page.

• Advertisement

€12 terrace, €15 stand. There is a list on the Limerick FC website and Facebook page.

season tickets are all valid i'd assume

Ya Id imagine so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

2 down inside 20 mins..

Deserved aswell. We Look completely lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

bennyl10 wrote: »
    2 down inside 20 mins..

Deserved aswell. We Look completely lost

3 now. Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

A dreadful, shapeless mess more or less from start to finish. Bohs weren't particularly impressive but we were just awful. It's too early to say anything definitive but IF we continue to play like that we will be relegated.

We are definitely favourites for relegation. We were before a ball was kicked and yeah hasn't changed tonight. We have a lot of young lads and just need to hope they improve enough to keep us up. There seems to be a good fighting spirit but we just lack a bit of quality and confidence. Long season ahead.

It wasn't good. A 0-3 loss to a poor Bohs team is not good. 2 of them were very sloppy too.

Tactically, didn't seem great. Eradicated any hope from last week for me really.

Duggan was excellent, fair play to him though. Price looks alright too.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It wasn't good. A 0-3 loss to a poor Bohs team is not good. 2 of them were very sloppy too.

Tactically, didn't seem great. Eradicated any hope from last week for me really.

Duggan was excellent, fair play to him though. Price looks alright too.

Duggan was nowhere to be seem on Saturday...Captain Invisible...

Were we truly terrible, no shape, no plan, no hope...:(

Duggan was nowhere to be seem on Saturday...Captain Invisible...

Were we truly terrible, no shape, no plan, no hope...:(

I thought he was head and shoulders our best player, he was all over the place... had to collect the ball from deep, carry it forward, the only one looking for passes, the only one looking to make a pass. Some poor set-pieces but he tried his heart out. Pity the rest weren't on the same level.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I thought he was head and shoulders our best player, he was all over the place... had to collect the ball from deep, carry it forward, the only one looking for passes, the only one looking to make a pass. Some poor set-pieces but he tried his heart out. Pity the rest weren't on the same level.

Looked more like a headless chicken to me...His running seemed aimless from my vantage point

Advertisement