Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Duggan was the only decent player I seen out there anyway, looked like he was actually trying to make things happen, and at the very least keep possession a bit, without him things would have been far worse, williams seemed ok in possession at times too, and the Mann kid who came off early enough looked like he could develop into a decent player. Lots of lads totally out of their depth thou,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya thought Duggan looked ok and was let down by O'Connor in the middle. Felt he was having to do the defensive work and also the attacking work.

I know we conceded 3 but I actually think Price looked decent. You'd know he is an experienced LOI player and I reckon he will make Paudie O Connor a better player the more they play together. Barr the the three goals, one sloppy from a corner, one a silly mistake and one a free kick, I think the back 4 actually kept Bohs quiet enough and they didn't create much else.

Faherty did ok when he came in, worked hard and also Dean Clarke put in a good shift. We are just lacking that little bit extra at the moment and I reckon we will pick up a few results. The team will rely a lot on counter attacking football. That went out the window on Saturday when we conceded so early.

At the moment it's not all doom and gloom. Some young lads learning their trade and as I've been saying the last few months we really need patience with the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gflann

What kind of team will go to Cobh tonight?

I'd imagine pretty much everyone. We don't really have the luxury of a big squad and a lot of the players need games together.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

1-0 down early on. We went 6 minutes without conceding today.

#progress

• Advertisement

1-1 now. Season truly begins.

Lost 3-2 aet for anybody still wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Beaten by a wonderstrike by that Goldsmith kid. Not much you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

3 0 down, and down to ten men with Duggan getting a red.. Just half time

Gonna be a long long season if this continues..

Ended 5..

• Advertisement

Finished 5-0. Didn't make the game so I'll let somebody who was fill in the blanks.

Just like to highlight that in the clubs time of need, when support is needed the most they have decided to ban 40 fans for what they have described as use of foul language at a game of football. These are the lads that have travelled the length and breath of the country through the bad times of the bottom of division 1 to the highs of promotion 2 years ago. (by the way the club chairman regularly uses foul language at the games aimed towards the players)

It seems there is a vendetta against these lads for some reason. Most likely due to the fact they questioned decisions made by the club in the off season.

They were approached two weeks ago and spoke to with foul language and total disrespect by the chairman of the club. When the club were questioned on the matter underhanded tactics were taken by the club to find out the names of the lads that felt completely disrespected and were informed they have been banned from Limerick FC matches.

Shocking behaviour from the club in my mind. Completely removed from reality if they don't see this as a gross over-reaction.

It's pathetic that the language thing has only become an issue now. It's almost as if somebody is looking for an excuse to bail out and is trying to provoke this situation to justify it.

So what happens Saturday now?

#LoveLimerickHateHyprocrisy

It's going to be interesting to see what does happen Saturday. As it stands I will not be attending the game. The club have gone too far here and a stance needs to be made. It seems I am not the only one from outside that group of lads that feels this way either.

Our attendance against Bohs was 920. Knock 200 off that as Bohs support. Your down to 720. Then knock off the 40 lads - 680. Going from experience you can knock another 200 off for people that wouldn't come back after the Bohs match and the 5-0 drubbing in Cork and you are down to 480. Then let's say another 20 decide to stand by the lads and refuse to go also. That leaves you with 460 people attending a premier match in Ireland. Not even 460 paying customers on the night either with season tickets, complmentry ones for sponsors etc..

It shows the madness of the club. How could they sustain their ludicrous stance i don't know.

Heard about the treatment of the lads alright,shicking by the club.
    Know of a good group myself who are refusing to attend now.. Club will regret that badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Heard about this over the last few days total joke to ban the true hardcore fans who have put lots of money and time on the club.

I won't name people publicly but 2 individuals in the club should be embarrassed and ashamed of their behaviour.

New low for Limerick FC

Club have issued a statement.. Absolute disgrace..
    Games will be like a funeral from now on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Club have issued a statement.. Absolute disgrace..
    Games will be like a funeral from now on..

The season is going from worse to worse, the club is making a complete fool of itself...the eccentricity of our chairman doesn't seem all that endearing to us all now...

It's like the club have thrown a grenade on the situation instead of handling it correctly.

Any more updates from club/fans? Trying to decide if I'll travel back to Limerick for it. I'm fairly decided on skipping the game in protest at the way the whole situation was handled by the club. Their sudden and convenient revulsion at foul language, 3 odd years into POS' reign, turns the stomach a bit. Are those banned going to try and gain access to the game?

The only thing giving me pause for thought is that I'd hate to miss any potentially fantastic rant we could be treated to at half time from the man himself. Delia Smith meets Winston Churchill meets Bray Wyatt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Any more updates from club/fans? Trying to decide if I'll travel back to Limerick for it. I'm fairly decided on skipping the game in protest at the way the whole situation was handled by the club. Their sudden and convenient revulsion at foul language, 3 odd years into POS' reign, turns the stomach a bit. Are those banned going to try and gain access to the game?

The only thing giving me pause for thought is that I'd hate to miss any potentially fantastic rant we could be treated to at half time from the man himself. Delia Smith meets Winston Churchill meets Bray Wyatt.

The fans are planning on holding a protest outside of the ground before the longford game...

Ya the lads said they will be holding a peaceful protest outside the game. They mentioned they are open to discussing the issue with anyone that wants to talk to them about it. They also say they are willing to meet the club to put this behind them but so far the club are not forth coming.

The statement was pretty gauling yesterday and was the final nail in the coffin for my decision not to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Their sudden and convenient revulsion at foul language, 3 odd years into POS' reign, turns the stomach a bit. .

In fairness, the issue about the bad language is far from new or sudden.

I was at a supporters' club meeting at least 4 years ago, and Kieren Judge raised the issue of bad language possibly putting off visitors to a the proposed 'family friendly' stand then

The idea that they never knew this was any kind of issue is just wrong.

osarusan wrote: »

I was at a supporters' club meeting at least 4 years ago, and Kieren Judge raised the issue of bad language possibly putting off visitors to a the proposed 'family friendly' stand then

Why was nothing done about it in the last four years then? Why was nobody banned for swearing in that time? It's really simple, the club are making an issue of this now because our chairman (no stranger to screeching profanity pitchside) is throwing a tantrum. I'm not affiliated with any of the people banned, I've even been critical of elements attached to them at times but the actual fact of the matter is that this has only become an issue for the club because the chairman wants a stick to beat them with.

My opinion is that he's looking for a convenient out from the club (forced out by a mob sounds better than bailed out when things were collapsing on the pitch) but whatever the reason the conduct of the club has been appaling and risibly transparent throughout this whole episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

You are right we were spoken to at that time and that was the last time we were spoken to about anything like that up until we sent an email to the club complaining about Pat O Sullivans behaviour. One of the people spoken to at that time went on to be chairman of the clubs Official Supporters Club too so I think its safe to assume that had been put to bed from those years ago.

A bit rich to ban a group of people (some of those banned don't even sit with us at games) using the excuse of bad language in an email conversation that started by the chairman verbally abusing this group in a foul mouthed rant.

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    You are right we were spoken to at that time and that was the last time we were spoken to about anything like that up until we sent an email to the club complaining about Pat O Sullivans behaviour. One of the people spoken to at that time went on to be chairman of the clubs Official Supporters Club too so I think its safe to assume that had been put to bed from those years ago.

A bit rich to ban a group of people (some of those banned don't even sit with us at games) using the excuse of bad language in an email conversation that started by the chairman verbally abusing this group in a foul mouthed rant.

Don't get me wrong, the chairman laying into fans in a pub is wrong, the club getting names in the manner they did is wrong, the club apparently banning everybody who was there/any name they got (no way there is 30 people in that group in the corner of the stand) is wrong and an overreaction.

But the idea that these fans were shouting away without any notion/communication whatsoever that their conduct was any kind of problem for the club is simply not accurate.

They knew that the club would like the to stop the bad language/tone it down/move elsewhere but they didn't want to do so.

EDIT: this relates to the games at Jackman where there is only one stand and thus more difficult to accommodate different groups under the only roof. Things were different in the Market's Field where there could be space between different groups of fans.

They knew that the club would like the to stop the bad language/tone it down/move elsewhere but they didn't want to do so.

And these lads also knew, just as definitively as your point above, that NO sanction had been taken against them for bad language all along AND that they have been urged to be ever more vociferous and vocal by the chairman on occasion at pitchside.

A serious question because you've always seemed a fair poster across any number of threads and a multitude of issues:

Do you really think it's complete coincidence that the club have finally decided to actively move against the bad language in the same week that our chairman made a show of himself in public acting in the same manner that has seen these lads banned outright from Limerick's home games?

A serious question because you've always seemed a fair poster across any number of threads and a multitude of issues:

Do you really think it's complete coincidence that the club have finally decided to actively move against the bad language in the same week that our chairman made a show of himself in public acting in the same manner that has seen these lads banned outright from Limerick's home games?

I don't see them as unrelated incidents and therefore not a coincidence at all.

This was an issue in Jackman previously - there was only one stand and Pat wanted it to be the 'family friendly' stand - there was a group of supporters who he wanted to either tone down/stop the language/move to another part of the ground, but they were not willing to do so.

As soon as we are back in Jackman (sadly) it becomes an issue again - trying to make the stand the family friendly part of the ground.

Did Pat do the right thing in laying into a group of fans in a pub? Of course not. I can't comment on what exactly transpired in the pub, but it seems like he lost the rag completely and was in the wrong to do so. I can only assume it was as result of being faced with the same issue that previously existed in Jackman.

My point is that the idea that the group of fans were completely unaware that the language/chants was a problem in the family-friendly stand is not accurate - they knew it was an issue. There has been a mention that being moved to another part of the ground 'was not a problem in an of itself' (or words to that effect) - but it has been a problem in the past - they were not willing to move.

Don't get me wrong, the chairman laying into fans in a pub is wrong, the club getting names in the manner they did is wrong, the club apparently banning everybody who was there/any name they got (no way there is 30 people in that group in the corner of the stand) is wrong and an overreaction.

But the idea that these fans were shouting away without any notion/communication whatsoever that their conduct was any kind of problem for the club is simply not accurate.

EDIT: this relates to the games at Jackman where there is only one stand and thus more difficult to accommodate different groups under the only roof. Things were different in the Market's Field where there could be space between different groups of fans.

We were spoken to 5 years ago or so when things were at an extreme it was toned down from then. Was there bad language at the Bohs game yes there was did it go over the top I don't think so and I have a list of people that were there with kids that agree with me and are willing to say as much to the club.

Is this ban anything to do with bad language? In my opinion not a hope I am 100% convinced had we not complained about Pat O Sullivan we would not be banned. We spoke to baord members in the pub after the game no mention of bad language, we spoke to board members in Cobh on the Turesday no mention of bad language, board members present at the Cork game no mention of bad language, we email the club about Pats behaviour no mention until we were banned of bad language.

Go read through the email conversation on Blue Army Loyalty Club on facebook. Im sorry but if you are telling me that this ban is somehow linked to a conversation 4-5 years ago that was sorted then its utter nonsense.

• Advertisement

I don't see them as unrelated incidents and therefore not a coincidence at all.

This was an issue in Jackman previously - there was only one stand and Pat wanted it to be the 'family friendly' stand - there was a group of supporters who he wanted to either tone down/stop the language/move to another part of the ground, but they were not willing to do so.

As soon as we are back in Jackman (sadly) it becomes an issue again - trying to make the stand the family friendly part of the ground.

Did Pat do the right thing in laying into a group of fans in a pub? Of course not. I can't comment on what exactly transpired in the pub, but it seems like he lost the rag completely and was in the wrong to do so. I can only assume it was as result of being faced with the same issue that previously existed in Jackman.

My point is that the idea that the group of fans were completely unaware that the language/chants was a problem in the family-friendly stand is not accurate - they knew it was an issue. There has been a mention that being moved to another part of the ground 'was not a problem in an of itself' (or words to that effect) - but it has been a problem in the past - they were not willing to move.

That is totally inaccurate we were more than wiiling to do so and did so in regard to toning it down so much so that there hasn't been a single problem/complaint/conversation about it with the club since the conversation you are speaking about 4/5 years ago. Since that conversation 2 of or 3 of the seasons since have been in Jackman so it is not some problem that has come up now that we have returned to Jackman.

How could he have been faced with the same issue when the incident of him abusing fans happened an hour before the first game of the season? I fail to see how there could have been an issue with language in the ground from a group that hadn't stepped foot inside a ground in 4 months or so.

We were totally unaware that there was any sort of problem and if you are trying to suggest differently based on a conversation 4/5 years ago that ended with things being sorted and no action taken in any way shape or form in the 4/5 years since because we did tone it down when asked then tbh I think you are seriously clutching at straws to defend the club.

We wouldn't have the massive support we have received by people nothing to do with the group people that stand and sit around us at games if this ban was actually for bad language. It is quite clear to all of these people that this ban is nothing at all to do with the reasons given.

Advertisement