Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Brilliant result tonight, considering we played 70 odd minutes with only 10 men. I didn't see the Kelly incident, apparently it was for a striking incident- if he did, then it was very stupid of him but I didn't see. Worst thing was we were on the attack and a goal was possibly on when the ref noticed the linesman's flag.

But what a win. Turner's goal from the free-kick, brilliantly-placed, set us on the way but the red card was a huge setback. Before that, I would have been pretty confident but Pats are a good footballing side and I thought it was a long time to be defending. The one thing hugely in our favour is Pats have nothing to play for and they played like a team that had nothing to play for. Some lovely build-up play, but no real urgency and their final ball was poor. Still, we defended stoutly and Freddie Hall between the sticks put in a masterclass. Man of the match for sure.

The goal just before half-time was a huge relief. We were under the cosh a bit- Hall picked out Clarke with an unbelievable kick (did that a few times but also kicked it straight out to touch a few times). Clarke actually messed up, put a poor ball into the box, but somehow two Pats defenders managed to miskick the ball straight to Faherty, who couldn't help but finish. Horrific, horrific defending but we were willing to take anything.

Russell replaced Lynch at the break, I expected Lynch to go... he was having a good game but he's not the man for a midfield two- not that I would have thought Russell was much better in that role but he did alright. 3rd goal came early enough in the 2nd half. Another good counter-attack, Clarke picked out Turner who had an easy finish at the back post- the hard work was done in getting there. We could have got one or two more on the break, they did look vulnerable but we were perhaps lucky not to concede earlier too.

Hall made some fine saves, dominated his box, threw and kicked well, was quick off his line. Super keeper, such a relief having someone like him on the line.

Kelly didn't have time to do much before the red, disappointing.

Tracy was very good, I thought. Read the game well. Lovely pass over the top to Clarke before the 3rd goal.

Kanyuka was very strong, was beaten in the air a few times but is a solid defender.

Considering that Whitehead has played very little football this year and was pretty much thrown in the deep end with Williams & Paudie missing, he put in a masterclass. Superb defensive display from him.

Duggan. What can you say about him? Absolutely class, ran Hall close for man of the match in my opinion. Fights tooth and nail for everything, clever on the ball, 3rd goal came from his doggedness. Was absolutely wrecked at the end but he had run his heart out.

O'Conor was caught a few times at right-back by Bermingham overlapping but for the most part did really really well. Looked like he was carrying an injury, was out of position and on a yellow card for about 80 minutes. Put in some amazing blocks.

Lynch is a fine player to have, he picks up the space between the strikers and midfield very well and he was launching attacks all the time early on but he doesn't do much defensively and I think it was the right call to bring him off. Bit unlucky, the red card forced Russell's hand.

I haven't always been a fan of Turner but he does get goals and assists. He had the beating of his man today too and he did well. Defensively, he does have to be shouted at to keep him switched on but he did okay.

Clarke wasn't at his absolute best, possibly still carrying an injury, but still set up two goals. Had them in trouble when he ran at them.

Faherty got another goal but wasn't in the game much really, especially in the 2nd half. Tried his best but we were asking him to run a lot more than he's able, he doesn't have any pace. When asked to be a target man, he did it well.

Russell did alright when he came on, Rainsford had one run where he held onto the ball towards the end. Every little helps. Their free-kick was class as well, nicely struck.

But a great win, just an awful shame about Drogheda & Galway both winning; both of those teams were in major disarray. Away to Bray next, 3 points is a must, again it's a team without much to play for. But then we've got a few tough ones coming up after that, we're still under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

washman3 wrote: »
    Good attendance. Might soon see the day a Limerick soccer match attendance will overtake a Munster rugby attendance.! very close tonight I would say, Musgrave Park was like a morgue will virtually no atmosphere coupled with a dire game.

Not for a while yet but then all the people that do go will be labelled bandwagoners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Lynch was injured in the first half and that might have been the reason for the substition, or part of the reason at least.

I brought a few of the UL international students to the game, including a couple of Brazilian football fans. Within about 5 minutes they had each identified Kanyuka as the calamity waiting to happen that he is. "Positioning - no. Passing - none. Tackling - no. Only size is good."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

osarusan wrote: »
    Lynch was injured in the first half and that might have been the reason for the substition, or part of the reason at least.

I brought a few of the UL international students to the game, including a couple of Brazilian football fans. Within about 5 minutes they had each identified Kanyuka as the calamity waiting to happen that he is. "Positioning - no. Passing - none. Tackling - no. Only size is good."

Bit harsh on him, I think. He's a more natural centre-back than Williams, who has an awful bad of habit of rushing out of position for headers he has no chance of winning. Kanyuka can seem a bit awkward but he is a natural defender, and he's by far our best player at defending set-pieces. It's our worst area by a mile and I'd keep him there for that alone. I reckon he should be partnered by Paudie O'Connor too, even though Williams has done alright this season, he can be exposed positionally.

Bray 2-2 Limerick

(Clarke, Faherty)

I'm not sure whether we got what we deserved or not tonight in Bray. We took the lead when Kanyuka headed a corner towards goal and Dean Clarke swivelled to score from a few yards out. Bray equalised about a minute later after we fell asleep and failed to clear a cross properly.

We went ahead with a super goal. Faherty flicked on and Turner chased it to the end line while Faherty made his way to the box.Turner found him with a first-time cross and Faherty volleyed home.

The second half was fairly even, and both sides looked capable of scoring. Bray missed very good chances including a header over from right in front of goal, while Limerick had very good claims for a penalty turned down after Clarke went down. Bray finally equalised after Limerick gave them too much time on the ball in the box, and the found a player in space to fire across Hall into the far post.

We were missing our spark tonight, and were fairly ponderous at times. We missed the chance to get off the bottom of the table, even for a while.

Next game: home to Dundalk, Saturday, Sept 26th.

• Advertisement

12036630_10153560289638886_2915806287602314104_n.jpg?oh=8715e9510bc71170c3e7d75a79b1b6c0&oe=56A9A8F8

Huge game - anything other than a defeat would be huge.

Let's hope we get a great crowd at it - we will need vocal sport against the champions (and champions-elect).

Limerick 1-3 Dundalk

(Clarke)

We took the lead after only 74 seconds when Dean Clarke bundled home after a flick on from a corner.

From that point on, Dundalk laid siege to our goal - I've rarely seen one team dominate possession and territory so much. For all that though, we were still ahead at half time.

The second followed the same pattern as the first, although on a rare break Ian Turner had a great chance to score, but Dundalk's keeper made a super save. Dundalk kept pressing, and you got the feeling that if they got one, they'd get more, and that's what happened in the end. Dean Clarke had another penalty appeal not given at 1-1, but he went down a bit too easily again.

Next game is truly huge: away to Galway, Friday October 9th.

Galway 1-3 Limerick

(Faherty 2, Turner)

We almost took the lead after about 2 minutes when their keeper sliced a backpass across his own goal, but he recovered in time to stop Faherty's effort from crossing the line. We took the lead after about 20 minutes when Faherty slipped past a defender on the edge of the area and curled the ball in at the far post. He should have had a second when the keeper parried Lynch's cross-shot at his feet but he could only poke wide. We took our foot off the gas then and Galway pressed before the break.

In the second half Galway equalised after a scramble from a corner. Freddy Hall saved two headers but ex-Limerick player Sam Oji headed home at the third attempt.

We went ahead again when a quick free-kick from Duggan found Turner, who feinted with his left foot before cutting back onto his right and firing high into the net at the near post. And we sealed it when a Turner cross was met by a diving header from Faherty. It was a fairly comfortable last 10 minutes really, watched by a simply huge away support, who made massive noise all game.

We are still bottom of the table, but it is getting incredibly tight. You can see the table here:http://www.extratime.ie/

Next game: Home to Derry, Saturday October 17th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭d1980

Galway 1-3 Limerick

(Faherty 2, Turner)

We almost took the lead after about 2 minutes when their keeper sliced a backpass across his own goal, but he recovered in time to stop Faherty's effort from crossing the line. We took the lead after about 20 minutes when Faherty slipped past a defender on the edge of the area and curled the ball in at the far post. He should have had a second when the keeper parried Lynch's cross-shot at his feet but he could only poke wide. We took our foot off the gas then and Galway pressed before the break.

In the second half Galway equalised after a scramble from a corner. Freddy Hall saved two headers but ex-Limerick player Sam Oji headed home at the third attempt.

We went ahead again when a quick free-kick from Duggan found Turner, who feinted with his left foot before cutting back onto his right and firing high into the net at the near post. And we sealed it when a Turner cross was met by a diving header from Faherty. It was a fairly comfortable last 10 minutes really, watched by a simply huge away support, who made massive noise all game.

We are still bottom of the table, but it is getting incredibly tight. You can see the table here:http://www.extratime.ie/

Next game: Home to Derry, Saturday October 17th.

Are we running out of games? Looks like we will need to continue our good run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

d1980 wrote: »
    Are we running out of games? Looks like we will need to continue our good run.

With three games to go it is fair to say that they could be running out of games alright, with nothing to play for at the top the teams at the bottom will continue to pick up points so every game is a must win starting with Derry. Drogs got a point off Cork last night that they wouldn't have had a hope of two months ago, a huge point as well as they strive to stay ahead of Limerick.

What's the concensus, six points for a playoff? Could it take 7?
    7 could be enough to stay up without a playoff?

• Advertisement

Before the game, the scene of chairman Pat O Sullivan standing on the wall around the pitch leading some chanting was a sight to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Before the game, the scene of chairman Pat O Sullivan standing on the wall around the pitch leading some chanting was a sight to behold.

Fair play to him. Limerick staying up would be well deserved for Pat.

Longford and Sligo drew 1-1 tonight, so the bottom of the table looks like this:

http://www.extratime.ie/

Longford Town 30 7 9 14 -18 30
    Galway United 30 9 2 19 -21 29
    Sligo Rovers 30 6 10 14 -15 28
    Drogheda Utd 30 7 7 16 -24 28
    Limerick 30 6 8 16 -24 26

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Great result!

The draw means Longford aren't out of it, and they play Drogheda in 2 weeks.

Drogheda away to Pats (who are in a bad rut) next week.
    Galway away to Dundalk.
    Sligo home to Bohs who are playing well.
    Longford away to Cork who are muck at the moment.

Incredibly close and will change so much...but we must, MUST win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The draw means Longford aren't out of it, and they play Drogheda in 2 weeks.

Drogheda away to Pats (who are in a bad rut) next week.
    Galway away to Dundalk.
    Sligo home to Bohs who are playing well.
    Longford away to Cork who are muck at the moment.

Incredibly close and will change so much...but we must, MUST win.

Dundalk will want to win for the homecoming of the cup,
    Cork will beat Longford as well.
    In an ideal world all four will lose, it could well happen but I think Sligo and Drogheda will have enough fight to get something, I think Sligo will win and Drogheda will get a draw. Most importantly obviously is for Limerick to get all three points.

Couple of nasty results tonight.

Longford picked up 3 points in Cork tonight, which means they are basically safe. Hopefully that good form will continue until next weekend against Drogheda.

Galway got a draw away to Dundalk.

But Drogheda lost to St. Pats, which means a win tomorrow night will take us off the bottom for the fist time all season.

Longford picked up 3 points in Cork tonight, which means they are basically safe. Hopefully that good form will continue until next weekend against Drogheda.

But Drogheda lost to St. Pats, which means a win tomorrow night will take us off the bottom for the fist time all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I'd imagine if we pick up 4 points in our remaining 3 games, with drogheda's run-in, i'd reckon that will get a playoff spot with drogheda going straight down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Gleesons sports are now sold out of adult stand tickets. They might get more in later but I wouldn't risk it at the moment. If ye can I'd say get down to Paddy McMahon butchers on Athlunkard street or get up to the Markets Field early.

• Advertisement

Limerick 0-2 Derry

0-0at half-time and fairly even. No real chances for either side, although Dean Clarke should have done better when he had a chance to square the ball from the endline with players in the box.

In the 2nd half, Derry upped their game and were simply the better team. They scored with a shot from the edge of the area after a corner wasn't properly cleared, and scoed again when they cut our defence apart to get a player one-on-one with the keeper.

We were slow and ponderous and created very little all game, and missed our chance to get iff the bottom in front of 2647 people.

Next game: home to Shamrock Rovers, Friday (yes, Friday) October 23rd at 7.45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

That's it over for them I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's not over til it's over. Still 6 points to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

An File wrote: »
    It's not over til it's over. Still 6 points to play for.

AND only two adrift of two teams. Hugely disappointing result last night but not even close to being over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya certainly not over. As it stands it could still go down to the last game of the season. Mathematically we can still avoid even the relegation play off spot.

In saying that we looked like a tired team last night. The effort the team has put in over the last two and a half months is starting to catch up on them.

Jofspring wrote: »
    In saying that we looked like a tired team last night. The effort the team has put in over the last two and a half months is starting to catch up on them.
    Yeah, Lynch and Duggan struggled to get involved at all, and we never really got going up front as a result.

Worryingly, I don't expect Rovers to be any easier! They'll be looking for 2nd place as Cork fall apart.

Longford Town 31 8 9 14 -17 33
    Bray Wanderers 31 9 5 17 -20 32
    Galway United 31 9 3 19 -21 30
    Sligo Rovers 31 6 10 15 -17 28
    Drogheda Utd 31 7 7 17 -25 28
    Limerick 31 6 8 17 -26 26

Series 32:
    Limerick home to Shamrock Rovers
    Drogheda home to Longford
    St. Pats home to Sligo
    Bray at home to Galway

Series 33:
    Sligo home to Limerick
    Shamrock Rovers home to Drogheda
    Galway home to St. Pats
    Longford home to Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Longford still need a point to be safe? Hopefully that will keep them competitive against Drogheda...

A point means they avoid the playoff.

They can't be relegated automatically.

Reminder that Limerick versus Shamrock Rovers is on tonight, Friday at 7.45, rather than Saturday.

Depending on results tonight, we could either be officially relegated or move up to 10th and be in good shape to avoid even the playoff.

This is the last home game of the season, and we desperately need a result, so I'm sure the players would appreciate your support.

11205490_10153603573038886_276187169921300815_n.jpg?oh=1aa3b33eefa139a285ef2f1e76bdc9c6&oe=56C03E1C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

For anyone that can't make the game tonight, it's being shown live on RTE2

A win tonight would be brilliant.

Advertisement