Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

d1980 wrote: »
    Does anyone know tonights attendance?

Never announced but must have hit nearly 5,000. A bus load of harps fans arrived 10 minutes into the game to be told the match was sold out. They ended up charging them into the terrace and allowing them in.

An File wrote: »
    I stepped out of one of the buildings in Mary I just after Limerick scored, and the noise was something else! I thought there must have been a rave somewhere on Summerville Avenue before I heard the stadium announcer talking over "Seven Nation Army". :D

A friend in Wolftone street and one in Dooradoyle said they could hear the noise after the goal. It was amazing when it went in. Cracking goal as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

Will the away match be on any radio station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limerick 1-0 Finn Harps

(Kelly)

A sweet Sean Kelly strike across the Finn Harps goalkeeper from outside the box was the only goal of the game tonight.

Harps were very defensive all night, defending deep, defending wide, and defending in numbers. They set us the challenge of breaking them down, and we never really did all night. We hit the crossbar and had a few chances from headers but we looked really limited for most of the game. We never had any space in the middle of the field and never found or made any. Harps created nothing all night - apart from one 2nd half chance when Banda went round Hall but was pushed well out wide and couldn't get his shot on target.

This is nowhere near over and Harps will fancy their chances on Friday.

I was getting very nervous with the amount of passing in front of our own goals that we did tonight, yet again, its cost us goals before and it almost did again tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

banjobongo wrote: »
    Will the away match be on any radio station?

The 95 fm commentators were talking about it anyway, joking about whether they'd have to drive or get the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

First LOI match in years and have to say I was very impressed with the quality of football Limerick played.

I thought they were the better team by far on the night and created a fair few chances. Finn Harps were very limited so unless they were holding something big back I'd be confident of Limerick doing what they need above there.

I hope they go all out to win the match as I dont think they are a team set up to sit back and defend a lead. The big centre half had my nerves at me every time he got near the ball.

I'll be back next season for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

mitresize5 wrote: »
    First LOI match in years and have to say I was very impressed with the quality of football Limerick played.

I thought they were the better team by far on the night and created a fair few chances. Finn Harps were very limited so unless they were holding something big back I'd be confident of Limerick doing what they need above there.

I hope they go all out to win the match as I dont think they are a team set up to sit back and defend a lead. The big centre half had my nerves at me every time he got near the ball.

I'll be back next season for sure

Great to hear comments like this. With the rugby following wilting somewhat in Limerick, there's definitely untapped potential for the club to get more attendees. :)

I'm a ten year ticket holder in Thomond park and have also been attending Limerick FC games for the last ten years. I have found over the years that the atmosphere at a Limerick match with only about 1,000 people can be far superior to a Munster match with 26,000 people there. In all the years since the new thomond park opened the atmosphere has been brilliant maybe 5-6 times.

What Limerick FC can potentially offer is better value and atmosphere for your money. That's something the club need to seriously tap into if we stay up. At the moment the prices of Munster matches are on average about €25-€30 per person where as you can go to a Limerick match for on average €13.

Don't know how to embed the video, but this link will take you to video of the goal.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialLimerickFC/videos/10153631784278886/

• Advertisement

From the Limerick FC website:

Information about buses and tickets for anybody interested in travelling.
    Important Supporter Information: Finn Harps Away, 6 November

Limerick FC strongly advise our supporters to make themselves aware of the information for those travelling to the SSE Airtricity League Promotion / Relegation Playoff Final second leg against Finn Harps at Finn Park on Friday night (kick-off 7.45pm).

Supporters SHOULD NOT TRAVEL to Donegal without a match ticket. Tickets will go on sale from Jerry O’Dea’s Bar, Mulgrave Street – across from the Markets Field – at 12pm on Thursday afternoon. Tickets are priced at €10 Adults and €8 Concessions.

For further information, please call Steve Taylor – 087-9396179.

Bus Travel: The Limerick FC Official Supporters’ Club, in association with Limerick FC, are running two buses to the game.

One of these is already full. There are a limited number of seats remaining on the second bus. If interested, please call Steve Taylor to book – 087-9396179. OSC members are free. Non-member prices: €10 Adults, €5 Kids (must be accompanied by an adult).

Anybody running a bus – outside of the two above and the Blue Army Loyalty Club – please contact Steve. The club MUST be made aware of this.

Traffic Arrangements Around Finn Park on Friday:

No parking in the vicinity of the stadium.
    Chestnut Road will be closed to all traffic from Mc Elhinney’s car-park to the junction with Navenny Street.
    There will be no parking permitted along the Trusk Road.
    No Traffic will be able to access Navenny via Navenny Street and Trusk Road. Barriers will be in place at Barca Bar and junction opposite The Igloo on the Trusk Road (only local business staff and homeowners will be allowed access).
    A barrier will be in place at the junction between Navenny and Lawnsdale. Only Limerick supporters, club officials, FAI officials are permitted access. Any vehicles entering through this barrier must park in Quinn’s Yard. All other traffic will be diverted around by Dreenan and Sessiagh O’Neill.
    Vehicles must adhere to Garda parking directions. Any vehicle found parked on a footpath, on double yellow lines, parked in a manner that is obstructing other vehicles and houses or in between Garda No-Parking cones will be towed away and a fee imposed.
    Road closures will come into effect at 6pm and will remain until 8.30pm. They will be closed again at 9.30pm until 10.30pm.
    Friday traffic in Ballybofey is extremely heavy so it is recommended supporters arrive early to avoid congestion.

Vehicle seizures: Any vehicle found to be violating the Traffic Management operation shall be seized and towed to Harrold’s Yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Gone to ET, 1-0, Limerick poor so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Jesus the commentary on live95 is the cringiest iv ever heard in my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I'm listening on Highland Radio
    http://www.highlandradio.com/on-air/listen-live/

Strangely they're a lot more impartial than the Live 95 lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Cheers swiper I can't take any more of that crap

No great escape I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

After tonight's result, back to the first division...

What kinda squad will be have next year...

Surely all of the following will be gone...

Freddy Hall
    Shaun Kelly(maybe???)
    Paddy Kanuka
    Robbie Williams
    Paul O'Connor
    Shane Duggan(maybe???)
    Lee J Lynch
    Ian Turner
    Dean Clarke
    Vinny Faherty
    Sean Russell
    Prince Agyemany

Leaves us with
    Shane Tracy and a bunch of 19's

Does Russell stay on as manager?

Do we get Pat Scully back????

The team that played tonight is not the team to get us out of the first division anyway.

I reckon we will keep Shane Tracey, Shaun Kelly, maybe Vinny Faherty, and a load of 19'd will make up the bulk of the squad.

Jofspring wrote: »
    The team that played tonight is not the team to get us out of the first division anyway.

I reckon we will keep Shane Tracey, Shaun Kelly, maybe Vinny Faherty, and a load of 19'd will make up the bulk of the squad.

It won't be a matter of us wanting to keep them, most of them have one year deals I'd assume, except for Kelly

Finn Harps 2-0 Limerick, after extra time

Finn Harps win playoff 2-1 on aggregate.

Harps pressed from the off, and had more possession and territory, but not much to show for it in terms of chances, until Kanyuka made the mistake of trying to shepherd a ball back to Hall. Finn Harps striker nipped in between the two to poke past the keeper and then finish from a very narrow angle.

The second half was much the same, but Limerick gradually began to exert some pressure and ended as the more dominant team, but still creating very little.

Extra time was much the same, and the game looked destined for penalties until Harps striker Banda popped up to glance home a header with only 5 mins left of the 120, and we couldn't force an equaliser.

This is an absolute hammer blow for the club in terms of momentum and development for the future, and we don't know how many of that squad will be around next season, or the manager for that matter. Absolutely gutted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Derbhoy

A lot of these players will be going nowhere they were all abysmal for 2/3 rds of the Season who will take them ? Can they be trusted to perform over a full Season the Table does not lie 2nd last . It's a shame for the Club to be going to the graveyards scattered across the Country albeit Waterford Athlone Shels Drogheda UCD Cobh were all big names years back . I hope the Chairman feels Vindicated in his backing and gives it a good shot at getting us back in to Premier League although Russell may be not the Man to take us up .

osarusan wrote: »
    Finn Harps 2-0 Limerick, after extra time

Finn Harps win playoff 2-1 on aggregate.

Harps pressed from the off, and had more possession and territory, but not much to show for it in terms of chances, until Kanyuka made the mistake of trying to shepherd a ball back to Hall. Finn Harps striker nipped in between the two to poke past the keeper and then finish from a very narrow angle.

The second half was much the same, but Limerick gradually began to exert some pressure and ended as the more dominant team, but still creating very little.

Extra time was much the same, and the game looked destined for penalties until Harps striker Banda popped up to glance home a header with only 5 mins left of the 120, and we couldn't force an equaliser.

This is an absolute hammer blow for the club in terms of momentum and development for the future, and we don't know how many of that squad will be around next season, or the manager for that matter. Absolutely gutted.

I've no doubt you are. A real fan. ;)

Some great write-ups over the season. Can't be too many supporters like you around the league which is a shame. But the team gave everyone a reason to follow them over the last 12 weeks or so, pity it ended disastrously, but that's sport.

Pat O Sullivan saying that Russell will still be in charge next season, and that he'll have the funds to try and keep the players he wants to keep.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/chairman-reveals-russell-to-remain-as-limerick-fc-boss-1-7055119#axzz3r5cgYwJs
    “As regards the future, I met Martin (Russell) the week before last and I told him he was staying. He wants to stay. We are working in the background to create a sustainable financial model for the club.

“I told the players the manager is staying.

“The manager has been given the authority long before tonight to retain the best players that he wants to retain, to rebuild the team in order that when it comes back up we come back up really strong.

“I went as far as to say to the players that as men, I would expect them - because I know there are people (from other clubs) smelling around them - let no player leave this club for €50 or €100 euros a week to go somewhere. I think this is a club which is really going somewhere.”

Not sure how I feel about this, but if this means that the squad is settled and can get a good preseason underway, that will be a big improvement on last year.

For some of the players though, the lure of premier division football might be too much, even if the wages are no different. Although, who knows how many will actually be wanted by other premier teams.

Stating the obvious but I reckon we need to keep as many of our better players from last season as possible and maybe add a little more strength for the bench. If we get crowds of 1,000-1,200 then we should have the biggest budget in the league by a long shot.

This thread is nearly two years old also so once signings start being announced I reckon it's time to start a new one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Jofspring wrote: »
    Stating the obvious but I reckon we need to keep as many of our better players from last season as possible and maybe add a little more strength for the bench. If we get crowds of 1,000-1,200 then we should have the biggest budget in the league by a long shot.

This thread is nearly two years old also so once signings start being announced I reckon it's time to start a new one.

Feel free to start the new thread whenever you would like, I'm sure this will will just drop off then, either that or I can just rename this thread to reflect the season name if needed.

Clareman wrote: »
    Feel free to start the new thread whenever you would like, I'm sure this will will just drop off then, either that or I can just rename this thread to reflect the season name if needed.

Will start a new one this evening for a fresh start 👍

Freddy Hall and Shane Tracy both reported as signing two year deals with Limerick.

Shaun Kelly, Paudie O’Connor, Seán McSweeney and Killian Brouder already signed for 2016.

osarusan wrote: »
    Freddy Hall and Shane Tracy both reported as signing two year deals with Limerick.

Shaun Kelly, Paudie O’Connor, Seán McSweeney and Killian Brouder already signed for 2016.

Freddy hall will be the best keeper in the division I'd imagine

off topic I know there is a thread on boards.ie Limerick section about boys soccer, a parent made enquiries about their child joining the LImerick FC Academy but got no reply so ended up joining another club, if anybody from the Academy is reading this post here is the link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057518856

• Advertisement

Shane Duggan has re-signed for Limerick also.

That is great news.

10177979_10153627422628886_5047083831087616445_n.jpg?oh=b4503079a789391465d0b013d4636370&oe=56E6F2A0

Advertisement