Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

You can listen to the demolition on rebel radio if you like, this great fun.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Friend of mine is a Cork fan and was at the game, couldn't get over how awful Limerick were and she saw us play a few times last year. No cohesion judging on Friday's game and what she has told me about tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Friend of mine is a Cork fan and was at the game, couldn't get over how awful Limerick were and she saw us play a few times last year. No cohesion judging on Friday's game and what she has told me about tonight.

We looked so poor friday it wasn't even funny, if a junor team played as bad as we did friday they'd even be ashamed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

Time for a change of manager, Taylor seems clueless at the best of times. Going nowhere but back to the first division with him in charge.

Our Brian wrote: »
    Time for a change of manager, Taylor seems clueless at the best of times. Going nowhere but back to the first division with him in charge.

Ah hear stall the ball, our budget has been cut back and we did well last year overall

The notion we need to sack our manager is utter non sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Didn't sound good at all tonight- even worse than I feared. I hope it's the shock to the system we need to sort things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

Disgraceful performance. No effort and the same thing done over and over again with no sign of it ever going to work. Take the Bray game and go down another few levels and you have it.

The style of play is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Our Brian wrote: »

That would be really jumping the gun. Only two games in he deserves a chance to right it. Especially as he currently has 5 potential starters currently injured. The guy has moved his family over to this country and to sack him because of two matches would be harsh to say the least.

Very very inexperienced side taking to the field against Dundalk.
    Cusack
    Kelly Whitehead Folan Costelloe
    Nzuzi
    Hughes Tracy
    Coughlan Gaffney McGrath

That's Oji, Williams, Duggan and Rainsford gone from last week's team; Rainsford makes the bench... Oji & Williams musn't have been fully fit, Duggan is suspended. And still no sign of Ryan, Galbraith, Leahy, Curran.... Agyemang and Abass both on the bench. This could be bad.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Very very inexperienced side taking to the field against Dundalk.
    Cusack
    Kelly Whitehead Folan Costelloe
    Nzuzi
    Hughes Tracy
    Coughlan Gaffney McGrath

That's Oji, Williams, Duggan and Rainsford gone from last week's team; Rainsford makes the bench... Oji & Williams musn't have been fully fit, Duggan is suspended. And still no sign of Ryan, Galbraith, Leahy, Curran.... Agyemang and Abass both on the bench. This could be bad.

1-0 up after 14 minutes shane Tracy

• Advertisement

1-1 and it's all Dundalk now.

Commentary on Dundalk fm

2-1 Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Back in Ireland for two and a half weeks, and Limerick games were the highlight of that. Poor against Bray, woeful against Cork, marginally better against Dundalk.

We can go through spells where we look ok defensively, then we start to lose the ball very easily again. We spent a lot of the first two games passing aimlessly in front of the opposition midfield, but started to go wider later in the game in Cork, and looked better for it. We played wider from the start against Dundalk, and did ok at times, especially in the 2nd half when Gaffney went wide and started to hold the ball up.

Our two main problems are that we give the ball away too easily and let the opposition have far too much time on the ball in dangerous positions.

Our one massively main problem is that i cannot for the life of me see where goals are going to come from. We havent looked like scoring at all in any of the three games so far.

Ah well, I might be back for the start of the season next year, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Jofspring wrote: »
    1-1 and it's all Dundalk now.

Commentary on Dundalk fm

Is that ridiculously biased plonker still doing the commentary for them? Nearly flung my laptop out the window listening to him during the 2-2 in Oriel last year

Is that ridiculously biased plonker still doing the commentary for them? Nearly flung my laptop out the window listening to him during the 2-2 in Oriel last year

Ya they are fairly biased alright but funny to listen to. They can give their own lads a right bollocking too though. They spent the entire first half and some of the second half saying Meenan was useless and should be subbed off and then proceeded to give him man of the match for effort.

Only 3 or 4 spots left for the train to st.pats next Saturday. Anybody still interested in going or wants to sort out payment please pm me as soon as possible. Thanks.

BjMAQ8NIQAA_g-k.jpg

Does Roddy Collins fall out with everyone? Wasn't there some trouble with him and Limerick fans back when he was manager of Monaghan?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

BjMAQ8NIQAA_g-k.jpg

Does Roddy Collins fall out with everyone? Wasn't there some trouble with him and Limerick fans back when he was manager of Monaghan?

That hadn't much to do with Collins to be fair. He was the subject of a few unpleasant chants and local cop/Monaghan United associate (I believe he was their child protection officer or some such) Paul Oliphant threw his ample weight around and made a mountain out of a molehill. It happened with at least one other club up there around that time too.

That hadn't much to do with Collins to be fair. He was the subject of a few unpleasant chants and local cop/Monaghan United associate (I believe he was their child protection officer or some such) Paul Oliphant threw his ample weight around and made a mountain out of a molehill. It happened with at least one other club up there around that time too.

Ah okay thanks - I knew something had happened but the story I heard back was probably blown out of proportion.

Ah okay thanks - I knew something had happened but the story I heard back was probably blown out of proportion.

To be honest I wasn't overly impressed with the conduct of a few of the Limerick crowd that day but the whole thing was blown out of proportion, the few Limerick people who were actually hauled over the coals didn't really do anything and Roddy Collins had no direct input into anything that happened that day.

But we won 1-0 with a glorious Paudie Quinn goal and for that night I truly believed (wrongly, as it turned out) that we were going to get promoted that season. :D

• Advertisement

They made a lot out of nothing, on top of some utter lies. Was a great game tho, oh Paudie Quinn

Can't make it to Dublin today, but on a brighter note, it will be the first time I ever watch Limerick play on live tv... let's hope there's a good performance to match it.

Great result today, a point up in Inchicore! I thought the performance was a lot better than the Bray game, and the Cork and Dundalk games didn't sound great either.

Backs were to the wall at times, and Pats could have put us away, but I thought the overall performance was decent. Still struggled to create lots of chances, but we did a bit better- Duggan and Nzuzi were getting forward a bit more. We do still need to support Gaffney much better, hopefully when Curran gets back.

Barry Ryan was immense, might have been a blessing in disguise that he had to start, the save from Forrester was brilliant, not many would have made that. Defence was strong in general, Duggan was good and McGrath finished brilliantly when we did get a really clear cut chance.

Good stuff, need to build on that against Drogheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

That must have been the save of the season from Barry Ryan. incredible reflex. Great display from Oji. Need Curran back ASAP.

The penalty decision was outrageous TBF. (was as bad as the rugby TMO's decisions tonight in T.P.)
    How can refs get these things so wrong.:o
    Apart from this the draw was well deserved.

washman3 wrote: »
    That must have been the save of the season from Barry Ryan. incredible reflex. Great display from Oji. Need Curran back ASAP.

The penalty decision was outrageous TBF. (was as bad as the rugby TMO's decisions tonight in T.P.)
    How can refs get these things so wrong.:o
    Apart from this the draw was well deserved.

Not wrong there. Was one of the most blatant penalty decisions you'll see... we got lucky in that regard, but it's nice to get a bit of luck. Last season we had plenty of decisions go against us, and even against Bray on the opening day.

It was a great point and there were definitely pluses to take from it (Ryan's return, Oji's performance) but overall I'd still be a bit uneasy about us. There's a real lack of depth in the squad at the moment (hopefully to be alleviated when Leahy/Williams/Galbraith/Curran can be added in), we lack a lot of urgency and penetration going forward still and there were a couple of fairly brutal individual performances too.

That said, it was a great moment to be there when McGrath scored. :D And I would obviously have taken 1-1 before the game! :)

It was a great point and there were definitely pluses to take from it (Ryan's return, Oji's performance) but overall I'd still be a bit uneasy about us. There's a real lack of depth in the squad at the moment (hopefully to be alleviated when Leahy/Williams/Galbraith/Curran can be added in), we lack a lot of urgency and penetration going forward still and there were a couple of fairly brutal individual performances too.

That said, it was a great moment to be there when McGrath scored. :D And I would obviously have taken 1-1 before the game! :)

Who were the brutal individuals?

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    Who were the brutal individuals?

Gaffney. His touch was terrible and he showed no initiative to run the channels. He worked hard but his decision making is poor quite a lot of the times. I rate him as a footballer and think he has a big role to play for us but I think that the current team and set up with him very isolated up front, leading the line by himself with no really natural wingers pushing up alongside him doesn't utilise him well at all. I think he'll benefit more than most from Curran returning.

I thought Folan was poor as well. He won a few headers, lost a few headers, never got tight enough on Christy Fagan and generally left Sam Oji with an awful lot to do. Folan excels at physically pointing out where his team-mates should be while letting his own man sneak goal side of him. Again, I'd hope Leahy will ease him out of the first eleven over time.

Those two stood out for me, Shane Tracy was fairly anonymous too for large spells of the game and McGrath didn't offer a whole lot in the first half in particular. He obviously finished excellently when he got his chance though.

Gaffney. His touch was terrible and he showed no initiative to run the channels. He worked hard but his decision making is poor quite a lot of the times. I rate him as a footballer and think he has a big role to play for us but I think that the current team and set up with him very isolated up front, leading the line by himself with no really natural wingers pushing up alongside him doesn't utilise him well at all. I think he'll benefit more than most from Curran returning.

I thought Folan was poor as well. He won a few headers, lost a few headers, never got tight enough on Christy Fagan and generally left Sam Oji with an awful lot to do. Folan excels at physically pointing out where his team-mates should be while letting his own man sneak goal side of him. Again, I'd hope Leahy will ease him out of the first eleven over time.

Those two stood out for me, Shane Tracy was fairly anonymous too for large spells of the game and McGrath didn't offer a whole lot in the first half in particular. He obviously finished excellently when he got his chance though.

Yep hard to argue with what you are saying there. I personally thought Folan was ok not great but not terrible. This sytem absolutely kills Gaffney especially when the plan seems to be either full back getting it and just floating it down the line even if he gets there he has no support and nowhere to go when Curran is back id have him as the man up front with Gaffney playing off him.

I think the system hurts Tracy a bit too as its hard to figure out where to actually play him in it to get the best out of him. Maybe when we get people back and if Prince is what he is supposed to be a change in system may come.

• Advertisement

In my opinion, it's not really that surprising that people have those doubts.

Folan isn't a great player really, he's a big, strong lad and he's good at dealing with high balls usually and defending set-pieces. But at tracking clever, pacy runners... not so much. Not the best on the ball either, although he's improving at that at least.

Tracy, for me, should be left-back or left-wing, ineffective elsewhere unless he gets the chance to shoot. Crossing and shooting are his two best abilities, ideally we'd get him in a position where he can do those things more often.

McGrath didn't excel in the first division tbh, interesting that he's being used now after being ignored pretty much all of last year. Maybe he'll come good, he's still very young. Obviously has technical ability, bit small, and may find it hard to shine in this system.... there doesn't really seemed to be defined positions for the 2 other attacking players.

I didn't think Gaffney was brutal, thought he tried his best considering the circumstances, he was up against it. He's a good player and will be key to any success we do have this year. He's the best finisher in the squad too, it's madness that he's basically had no shots to date, we should be trying to get him into shooting positions.

Advertisement