Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Powered Mixer

• 04-02-2014 3:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I need a mixer more for PA to start off and don't want to have to change up for a few years so I do not want to buy a cheap one.

I would need it to cover Wedding type room at hotels with max of 400-500 people...and it will be for entertainment that isn't music although I'd like a mixer that musicians could also use so I could hire it out.

Also what kind of speakers would I need.
    I like powered mixers because I want to travel with as few things to carry as possible.

I was looking at the Dynacord 600-3 or 1000-3 Powered and they are about 1600 and 2,000 respectively.

I see that models like the Allen & Heath PA20-CP Powered PA Mixer is around half of the 1000-3.

Cannot find many reviews of anyone using this model.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

What boxes are you using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

I have only bought the wireless microphones I need as of yet.
    Sennheiser G2 and G3s.

Wanted to buy the mixer first and then get speakers to suit.

I am more of a Camera/Camcorder/Computer guy....so don't know a whole lot about Audio Mixers.

From what I read it really is coming down to three.

Dynacord Powermate 1000-3
    Like this because it seems to have an Audio Bank internally where you can load sounds/tracks to playback?
    expensive though....x2 than the other two.

Allen & Heath PA12-cp
    8 Mics and good price

Yamaha EMX5016CF Stereo Powered Mixer
    12 Mics and good price

Have you considered Active Speakers?

It would open your selection of desks. If you are aiming for coverage of 500 people you looking at a large Top/2 bins a side config. I would say that your going to be limited with a powered desk for situations like that. At least with an Active/Passive system you can scale up/down to suit the situation. Of course you can do this with a powered desk but only to a point.

Thanks for that Bill.

I did but do you just need a desk and active speakers.....you don't need an amplifier extra?

I was just thinking a Powered Mixer and Speakers to keep things simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

+1 for powered speakers - what Unclebill98 said. The new powered speakers around (QSC, Yamaha) sound simply amazing and plenty of grunt. Just add a nice console and you're set. If you go for a digital desk, you'll have all the FX rack built in; if you go for an analogue console, you might need to add an FX rack w/ grafix, comps and a reverb.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Trout....any recommendations for a few different setups/models based on that info?

As said, desk and active boxes and off you go. Digital desk vs analog is another tread to itself. Really depends on your budget etc.

For active. My fav is the RCF range. Their ART to NX range is (Almost)pretty much chop and change to what ever tops you want to what ever subs you can lift.

I've used QSC K12, great top. I've yet to meet a happy JBL PRX owner. I've heard EV's powered boxes as wedges and they where very good.

Do you have a budget?

A setup I've had before was A&H Mixwizard, RCF NX12m over RCF905AS subs. Great rig, nice and light. Upgraded to NX dual 15"s but did not like the kick sound from the subs.

thanks Bill...based on advice here I am now back looking at the passive Dynacord 1000-3 for around 1k....with another 1k for speakers.

Wat Digital Desk would you recommend?

Well.....

That really depends on your budget.

Behringer X32 range. Goes from a Rack mounted 1u to a 4u to iPad dock to small to large. You'd need to look them up to see what one suits.
    Personus have a nice range also, all desk versions 16c up to 32 channels

Both of them have rave reviews and would be the cheapest ones out there. After that there is Roland, Yamaha, Allen and Heath and sure why not Midas etc.

I've own an X32, I liked it a lot obviously. I've also used the smaller 16 channel Personus. Nice but not as user friendly as the X32. I found the Roland to be very nice but needs a digital snake to make the most of it. The Yamaha Ls9 is a great desk, great pre amps etc, getting a little dated at this stage compared to new digital desks but a solid desk. A&H iLive's need a digital snake to make the most but one of the best FOH position desk I've used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

I've got a pair of the Yamaha DSR112's - really nice! +1 for the QSC K12 too. Have not tried the RCF but always like their speakers. I don't like digital desks (that's just me, now!) - I use a Midas Venice at FOH w/ KT grafix, dBX comps, Valley People gates and comps and Lexicon reverbs. That's for live and not really big shows 300-400 tops. Mostly I do recording so the live thing is more occasional and part of a remote recording setup.

• Advertisement

Ok guys...1st decision made is to not buy a digital mixer.
    I don't need to record or do anything spectacular that way.

Leaning now towards Dynacord cms 1000-3
    I have read if you buy an unpowered mixer, separate amp and passive speakers...this is the better route because it is better to keep separates in case expensive Powered Mixer goes.

The downside is they say it is more complicated to setup.

Advertisement