Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbmc on flash drive

• 04-02-2014 3:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

So, I'm hearing slot about this xbmc stuff thru Facebook etc. I downloaded it to my Xperia SP only it's only got a usb port so can't use it on my tv. I do however, have a Sumvision Cyclone media device thingy that I use for everything on my hard drive.

My question is, I have a flash drive, I can download xbmc to that but I assume I'll need an operating system to install and run it. Is this possible using just a regular flash drive and even if it is, would I be able to use it through this media player or even through the usb port on my tv?

Even at that, I've heard how you can use this xbmc for streaming sky sports and movies but a quick look through the app, I can't find the channels.

As my post suggests, I'm totally inept at this sort of thing, so I appreciate your being patient with me and my millions of questions. Mods, I understand this might be better suited in one of the tech forums but given this is specific to my questions, I thought here would be best, but please move if you think it might be best over there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

The flash drive idea will not work in this case.

XBMC does need an OS to run (Android, iOS, Windows, Linux...) or can run from a 'live' cd.

To get XBMC to display on your TV you need some way to connect A/V from the device running XBMC to the TV via HDMI or composite/component A/V. Some smartphones can also use MHL.

The 'secret sauce' of XBMC are add-ons, these 'can' get you streaming services.

Head over to XBMC.org and start reading. Loads of guides on YouTube as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Your best bet is getting a stand alone box like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=xstreamtec&sprefix=xstre%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Axstreamteci would recommend a linux only system,android seems to slow them down a bit.
    or Google raspberry pi ,€50-$95 but well worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Thanks for yere responses. I installed xbmc on my laptop just to see the interface and what channels are available. Found the Irish channels easy enough but the video add-ons I found, I couldn't get sports streams, specifically premiership and the movie channels I found were Bollywood types. Maybe I'm xbmc-ing :pac: wrong but I was led to believe that these streams are easily accessible. The link above looks good at a great price and will prob invest if I can figure this sh1t out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

pajopearl wrote: »
    Thanks for yere responses. I installed xbmc on my laptop just to see the interface and what channels are available. Found the Irish channels easy enough but the video add-ons I found, I couldn't get sports streams, specifically premiership and the movie channels I found were Bollywood types. Maybe I'm xbmc-ing :pac: wrong but I was led to believe that these streams are easily accessible. The link above looks good at a great price and will prob invest if I can figure this sh1t out.

These are good but not totally user friendly,where you are probably going wrong is that you need different repositories for different add ons.Its a bit of a minefield and there seems to be different XBMC factions issuing different software.I am pretty new to this scene myself but i would say its going to get bigger ,its got massive potential to grow.YouTube is a great source for info, by the way

Advertisement