Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does the flood water come from

Options
  • 04-02-2014 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

Curious as to where the flood waters originate from.

The Quay yesterday was flooded by Plaza, with the flood barrier all along the Quay was this a build up of rainwater or did it start backing up through drains. If it is the drains why is there no device that prevents the water coming back up.

Polberry: Rain water or the river overflowing? Is it possible the flood barrier on the Waterside has moved the problem up stream ??

The Manor, I don't recall flooding here before where did this come from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Saw water gushing up drains in john street at full tide flooding street around the front lounge ,
    River in Waterside looks narrower now since the works have been done surely it would have been smarter to widen the area to take the larger volumes of water at full spring tide..it sure looks like the problem has been moved up to poleberry...

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

It started in 18th cntury:

"Historically, the rough area between the quays, the People's Park, Catherine St. and The Mall was marshland, which gave way to what was known as The Pill. The Pill was a pool of water, fed by John's River. It was drained, along with the surrounding marshland, in the late 18th century by the Wide Streets Commission, in order to build the Mall, and to expand the city eastwards. From this point on, the river had well defined banks all the way to the Suir."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John's_River

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The flood water scheme is still six months from completion and is still open at Poleberry, so I would imagine the exceptional tide of yesterday overflowed into that area particularly.
    There are also a lot of drains that have not been "duckbilled" yet so you would have back up from these as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The flood water scheme is still six months from completion and is still open at Poleberry, so I would imagine the exceptional tide of yesterday overflowed into that area particularly.
    There are also a lot of drains that have not been "duckbilled" yet so you would have back up from these as well.

''Duckbilled'' I knew there had to be an expression for it and that's very apt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Johns River needs a flood barrier at its mouth. (and the estuary needs a flood barrier at Ballyhack ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Re Cork, I've been wondering if the next "great or national" plan could be the construction of a separate run-off for the excess water from the ESB dam above Cork, so's in emergency (or even normal) times there would be an acceptable down-river flow of water through the city?

Isn't it about time that Cork get's a proper tidal-flow system built for the Lee and other water sources through that (our 2nd) city?

Just listening to RTE News that the City Co is advising people to stay out of the city centre from about 8PM onwards for their own safety. What are the locals to do, if they live in ground level homes, in the affected flood-zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

The spring tides at present are exceptionally high. The Saturday and Sunday high water was 4.6 metres and 4.5 metres. This is unusually high since our normal spring tide would be about 4.0/4.1 metres. Obviously this represents around a half metre more than we have constructed our city quays and tidal barriers to expect so it just came over the top.

Nothing we can do easily will solve this problem other than just raising the level of our properties. Improved tidal barriers would help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I had been thinking about whether dredging the river might help, or whether that would just weaken the quayside wall foundations?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Is it possible the flood barrier on the Waterside has moved the problem up stream

Of course, because barriers are not finished in the Poleberry area yet.

Dredging would be of no help at all with regard to tidal flooding - the volume of water would be far greater than the extra "space" created by removing material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 oshea01

there has been a lot of building done in ireland over the last 15 years, all natural drainage is gone, ie land acts as sponge ,take it away and put a lot of concrete in its place, with man made drainage, you have a lot of fast water heading for the rivers up stream, that and high tides,

oshea01 wrote: »
    there has been a lot of building done in ireland over the last 15 years, all natural drainage is gone, ie land acts as sponge ,take it away and put a lot of concrete in its place, with man made drainage, you have a lot of fast water heading for the rivers up stream, that and high tides,

Indeed - Millers Marsh is named so for a reason, Kingsmeadow likewise, both completely built over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

mike65 wrote: »
    Dredging would be of no help at all with regard to tidal flooding - the volume of water would be far greater than the extra "space" created by removing material.

While it may not have real benefit I think it should be done regardless of floods as it does create some space which may not be of benefit of recent storms but in general would be.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    While it may not have real benefit I think it should be done regardless of floods as it does create some space which may not be of benefit of recent storms but in general would be.

It doesn't I'm afraid it's only advantage would possibly be that it would allow the flood away sooner after high tide.
    Water finds it's own level, a very old saying but still true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

mike65 wrote: »
    Indeed - Millers Marsh is named so for a reason, Kingsmeadow likewise, both completely built over.

Aswell as the superquinn area. Also is the quay river being dredged against silting and up river towards fidown since the ships have stopped going up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Good chance of more flooding tonight, be warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Instead of giving us water meters they should be providing us with these.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDCgwO-vcz_7FTCmUdeWcjZ21B_ut6wJLkbPAJXSvXp03UcExZ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Any reports on how bad it is there tonight? God the poor people down there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

deise08 wrote: »
    Any reports on how bad it is there tonight? God the poor people down there

SE Waterford/Wexford not due to get it bad till after midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

From the weather forum. Dont know original source.

Poleberry tonight.

Bfqd08fIAAAkHYk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The floods have there own facebook page now :pac:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Waterford-Floods/204127423119426

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

well **** me, there is some experts here on drainage and flood relief.

id say engineering professionals are ****ing themselves in their jobs......

Gardner wrote: »

I'd say the cynics of the world are clambering for your services....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

So what's your take on where it comes from then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Any reports on Poleberry ,did all the effort pay off/work ?

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Any reports on Poleberry ,did all the effort pay off/work ?

Looks like the sandbags did the job and kept the tide back,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Aestivalis wrote: »
    From the weather forum. Dont know original source.

Poleberry tonight.

Bfqd08fIAAAkHYk.jpg
    That image made the front page of the Indo today

Bfq0teZCcAAftPY.jpg_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

The same engineers who didn't have the foresight to see this happening all these years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Suppose theres lots of reasons.

Historically as been pointed out it's prone to flooding.

All flood planes have been built on in boom time.

Never once saw drains or shores been cleaned out in the city by the council and we should start a thread on the amount of drains around the city that are full to the brim with muck rendering them useless. The six cross roads for example all shores have grass growing out of them. Ok people may argue but whats the point in installing them and the costs involved in installing them if your not going to service them? the drains should all have sieves in the shores that are cleaned out every 3-4 weeks.

Advertisement