Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

run Zico10 run is who we are getting to know

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What sort of swim times do you do? Define 'poor' swimmer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good to see the secrets of zico10:)

You pretty much nailed your first marathon in 2008 running nice splits, and going well under sub 3 on the day. Was you plan sub 3 all along that day?
    If you had managed to enter London 2014 what would have been you goal time?
    If you took 1 year out and concentrated on peaking for a marathon how fast do you think you could lower your PB?
    IM or Challenge?
    A few beers as reward after a great weekend of training or nought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Who coaches your third swim session of the week?

It's with my tri club on a Thursday night.
    How do these coaches' methods differ from each other?

I'm aware two out of the three coaches here will see this post, so I just want to point out from the outset that I have huge respect for the coaches and the hard work they do. They take a personal interest in my improvements and I am very glad to work with them.
    Out of the three, I work hardest at interested's sessions. He's a hard task master and there isn't any hanging about at his sessions. He has 5 lanes of differing abilities to manage and I realise he can't give a lot of individual feedback every week. But I do notice him regularly walking up and down the pool deck and he is quick to pick up on small things that slow swimmers down. He doesn't over burden me with information and probably just tells me the things he thinks are the most important.
    I get more feedback at Peter's sessions, and it's all pretty much technique works and drills for the hour. This is exactly what I signed up for, and on a Tuesday morning it's a nice easy start to the day, after the hard work I do on Monday night. Peter's very enthusiastic and even though we are in the centre lanes in the NAC, and he has to walk up and down to get there, he is often at both ends of the 50m pool to give immediate feedback.
    Thursday's session with the tri club is one I started going to back in 2006. The coaches have changed a few times since I started, but the work has been pretty constant. It' usually a mixture of technique, then speed work. I'm happy enough to keep going back, so that should tell you I am happy with the coaching.
    And do you feel you are maximizing your swim potential by exposing yourself to and learning from three coaches?

I'll begin by saying I'm not quiet sure what my true swim potential is. Whatever it is, I've never felt like I've gotten there. But I've definitively got faster since I've came back from Thailand, and I wouldn't have done this my own. I had been going to only two coached swim sessions up until Christmas. Then I saw a post here on boards advertising free spaces at Tuesday morning swim sessions with Peter Kern. The time suited me, and I'd been coached by Peter before. I thought he was good, so I was more than happy to sign up.
    I'll have bike sessions to juggle in a few months, so I'll reassess things then. But right now I think I am benefiting from the three coached sessions a week.

What sort of swim times do you do? Define 'poor' swimmer?

I don't want to offend anybody by answering this too bluntly. I'm definitely not a natural swimmer. And for the training I do, I don't see the same gains in the water, as I do on the bike and run. In races I'm well down the field coming out of the water, and my swim split is always way slower than the people who finish near me. Club mates a few years ago I might have been beating out of the water are now faster than me. I just feel I should be better than I am. That is all.

Re. Swim times

I'm not really sure what figures you are looking for. But I generally swim 100s off 1.50 in a 25m pool/1.55 in a 50m. I'd be comfortable enough swimming these, but take 5 seconds off and I start to struggle.
    I don't do 400m TT's a lot. My most recent effort was 7.0?. On another day though, I'd hope to do better, but I've nothing more impressive than that.

Most recent Olympic distance race swim split was 30.56, which was non wetsuit. Then three weeks later I swam 33.47 at The Lost Sheep.

Abhainn wrote: »
    You pretty much nailed your first marathon in 2008 running nice splits, and going well under sub 3 on the day. Was you plan sub 3 all along that day?

I was hopeful, more so than expectant of breaking three hours. I ran well in Kenmare that September, which gave me confidence I could do it. But with it being my first marathon, I wasn't sure how I would handle the distance. All the same I started with intention of going sub 3. I knew the pace I needed to hold and was heavily relying on my Garmin that day. I didn't set off all guns blazing and kept my pace where it needed to be. I've probably been a bit too gung-ho in the first half of other marathons I've done, and my debut marathon is the only one I've raced where I didn't suffer in the second half.
    If you had managed to enter London 2014 what would have been you goal time?

I only have a PB of 2.51, so it might be a bit ambitious/unrealistic to say sub 2.45. Seeing as it's not going to happen, I hadn't given it any thought, but that would have been my target.
    If you took 1 year out and concentrated on peaking for a marathon how fast do you think you could lower your PB?

Only one year solely concentrating on running, on a fast course, I'd be hopeful I could get a time in the low 2.40's. I think marathons are a hard thing for triathletes to fit in though. And I think with two years off I could go under 2.40. But then talk is cheap.
    IM or Challenge?

I'm not too bothered. I'd like to do Ironman Lanzarote someday. Apart from that though, the courses for the other European Ironman races hold no greater appeal to me than those of the Challenge events. If Ironman didn't have Hawaii qualification spots going, they wouldn't be so attractive. Ironman Colorada and Ironman New Zealand are two other events with the same appeal as Lanza, but are not exactly on my door step, so are less likely to happen.

Perhaps you're asking about IM or Challenge this Autumn, if I do decide to go long. Then it'll be one of Challenge Weymouth (a new event September 14th) or Challenge Barcelona (5th October).
    A few beers as reward after a great weekend of training or nought?

I drink about once a month. It'd be around a social event though. I've a box of 20 bottles of Heineken in the house left over from Christmas, that I haven't once been tempted to open. After Connemarathon I'll have a drink to celebrate, but I've never been tempted to celebrate a great weekend of training with beer. A family sized pizza to myself though is another thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Have you ever worked with a coach for triathlon? If so, how did you find it?
    Would you consider working with a coach for your Kona assault? Reasons why or why not.

Been interesteing reading. Thanks for your week in the spotlight.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Have you ever worked with a coach for triathlon? If so, how did you find it?

I got did two blocks of ten one-2-one sessions with Peter Kern for two years in a row, but I've never had a coach who drew up and gave me a training plan to follow.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Would you consider working with a coach for your Kona assault? Reasons why or why not.

I do think it's a road I'd go down. I'm fully aware that in comparison to a lot of posters here, my knowledge of training is pretty limited. I think I've done alright so far, but I know I need to improve further to be in contention for a spot at Kona.
    Most people at that level seem to be coached, and I think in many ways it would make my life easier if I had someone with more expertise than myself planing my training.
    I'm not afraid of hard work, and I think any training plan I'd be given would be more or less in line with my expectations. I've strong feelings on what's worked for me before and I'd hope any potential coach would understand that. I'd hope to find a coach with pedigree and one who is flexible and confident enough that they could design a plan that fits in with the way I already train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Favorite movie character?
    3 People you admire in Sport?
    3 people you admire outside of Sport?
    Whats your view on religion in schools? :p

What class do you teach?
    Best model for schools, single sex or co-ed?
    Would we want you to teach our kids?
    Would you travel again like your Thai adventure? If so, where to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Zico, the writings on the wall.

You want to do Kona.

You are strongly considering going long this sept/oct.

Come to Mallorca 4 weeks after kenmare???

With your run in top shape you may as well get some tan on those legs too rather than a UK race... ;-)

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Favorite movie character?

The stripper in Very Bad Things
    3 People you admire in Sport?

It's very hard to pick just three. I respect anybody who gives 100% of themselves, and there are thousands of athletes like that in the world. But seeing as you're putting me on the spot; Seán Kelly, Roy Keane, Brian O' Driscoll.
    3 people you admire outside of Sport?

Tom Crean, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela
    Whats your view on religion in schools? :p

I teach in a school under the patronage of the Catholic Archbishop of Dublin, and I feel I'd be better not answering this question. But if the patronage of my school was to pass to a non-religious body, I'd still happily go to work everyday.
    If you're asking the question in light of Ruairí Quinn's recent comments, then I think they are opportunistic, populist, and poorly advised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

How long can you hold a plank for after reading this?
    How many push ups to fail can you do after the plank?

What class do you teach?

It's 3rd Class this year, but it changes year upon year. Except for 4th, I've taught all levels from 1st up to 6th at some point since graduating in 2002.
    Best model for schools, single sex or co-ed?

Co-ed would be my opinion. It's better preparation for life.
    Would we want you to teach our kids?

Depends who you ask. I'm sure opinion varies.
    Would you travel again like your Thai adventure? If so, where to?

Never say never, but I've no immediate plans. Cycling round the world is something I'd love to do before I die.
    The world is a big place and there are some things I'm disappointed I didn't get to. The Galapagos Islands are one place I'm really sorry I didn't see.
    As I say, I've no immediate plans, but I'm a rolling stone and you never know what sort of notion I could take in a few year's time.

Fazz wrote: »
    Zico, the writings on the wall.

You want to do Kona.

You are strongly considering going long this sept/oct.

Come to Mallorca 4 weeks after kenmare???

With your run in top shape you may as well get some tan on those legs too rather than a UK race... ;-)

Hmmmm...

How long can you hold a plank for after reading this?
    How many push ups to fail can you do after the plank?

And I'd almost made it to the end of the week.:mad:
    It's bed time now and I had an interested swim session earlier on. I'll reread this tomorrow night and answer you then.
    How's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

zico10 wrote: »
    Leo

It's the power of advertising

There were a few, but the strangest was probably a police station in the north of Thailand. It was a bizarre series of events that led to me ending up there. Then all the police on duty took off for the night and as far as I could tell I was left there all alone.

At the moment I'm not doing any cycling, so it'd be him. When I get back on the bike though I reckon it'll be me. I don't know how he's going to deal with me wanting to turbo at 6 in the morning, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Like hell we'll cross that bridge unless you wanna turbo in the bog. As for who will turbo the most, current record is 3:52 and i plan on smashing that this year!

gilleek2 wrote: »
    Like hell we'll cross that bridge unless you wanna turbo in the bog. As for who will turbo the most, current record is 3:52 and i plan on smashing that this year!

You spent nearly 4 hours on a turbo? Is there something wrong with you? :eek:

You spent nearly 4 hours on a turbo? Is there something wrong with you? :eek:

Zico was in the sitting room clipping his toenails so turbo seemed appealing;o)

Ah no, it was poxy outside and i needed a long spin so i put on a stage of the Giro that i had recorded, lined up the sweat towels, water bottles, food and a fan and got stuck in!
    The guts of 2 hours planned tonight while Zico busts out his new recipe book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxloBgOL96Sdsup_unjqywWgyUGqx9uZt8R2PCjj38gzf6xyBV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Green&Red wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxloBgOL96Sdsup_unjqywWgyUGqx9uZt8R2PCjj38gzf6xyBV

How easy one is forgotten :(

• Advertisement

gilleek2 wrote: »
    The guts of 2 hours planned tonight while Zico busts out his new recipe book.

Remind him to bake that cake he promised me while he's at it. Preferably gluten free but if it's chocolate and tasty I'm willing to take the reprecussions afterwards.

Remind him to bake that cake he promised me while he's at it. Preferably gluten free but if it's chocolate and tasty I'm willing to take the reprecussions afterwards.

I do a pretty awesome gluten free chocolate and raspberry cake if i do say so myself. Last nights cake however was very disappointing!

Advertisement