Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy has stopped coming when called

• 04-02-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

I have an 8 month old lab that I taught to come when called by using the word 'here' and when he was running towards me give him loads of praise and then a treat. I did this consistently and he was great with it (except when other dogs nearby). The last few days, however, he has been very bad at coming even when it's just the two of us out and neither a dog nor person in sight. I was thinking of ordering 'Total Recall' by Pippa Mattinson but read that for it to work I will eventually need access to another person and dog as a training team, which I wouldn't have regular access to. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Have you tried going back to step 1, and give a treat when he comes back, to remind him why he wants to come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

I never stopped with the treats, that's the frustrating thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Maybe he doesn't like been called "here" anymore !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

This is pretty normal - he's turning into a teenager now so will test his boundaries. If he's not coming back at all then put him on a long lead, call him as normal and if he still doesn't come, starting to reel him in but keep calling him - if he gets excited to come back treat/praise and let him go again (still on the lead). Some people say not to keep calling them as you reel them in but I found I could always get my dog's attention back to me and get him excited to come back. Also make sure whatever treats you're using for recall are high value to get him excited. If you're getting nowhere you might need to retrain with a new word.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Grayfoxy

Is he neutered?

• Advertisement

Grayfoxy wrote: »
    Is he neutered?

I'd hope not - he's too young?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Grayfoxy

tk123 wrote: »
    I'd hope not - he's too young?

I thought it was ok from 6 months old no?

Grayfoxy wrote: »
    I thought it was ok from 6 months old no?

Not for a large breed pup like a lab - it's best to wait until they're fully grown if possible

He is neutered actually, the vet said it was fine to do it now. The treats are high value. I figured it was a case of testing the boundaries alright, because if I walk away he'll act independent but quickly come bounding after me

I'd change the treats - hot dog/chicken/cheese - something like that just for when he comes back. I tend to bring my normal treats and then high value ones just for when my pup comes back or if I'm training something new outside.

• Advertisement

I use the Zuke's treats (from iHerb) but he's never had hot dog so that might be a good option. Which ones do you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

tk123 wrote: »
    I'd change the treats - hot dog/chicken/cheese - something like that just for when he comes back. I tend to bring my normal treats and then high value ones just for when my pup comes back or if I'm training something new outside.

This.

Introduce higher value treats, preferably in an area where you have noticed some difficulties with him getting your attention.

Another thing you can do is introduce a toy instead of treats, so when he comes to you playtime happens. Keep yourself interesting! If you're just saying the same old thing, and giving the same old treat it can get old. Make it so your dog isn't entirely sure what treat it's going to get, or even what toy/playtime event will happen. You gotta be a beacon of awesomeness whenever you call your dog. Maybe you can even introduce a whistle as a come call to get your dog to return to you if you're out in the open, it's a sound your dog cannot mistake.

Another thing you should teach your dog is "look at me", make it so your dog must maintain eye contact with you in order to get a treat. If you build distance with it it can help with getting your dog to return to you.

Lastly, NEVER give out to your dog for not coming quickly enough, it can be off putting for the dog to return to you. Who wants to go to someone if they're expecting to get shouted at? Not saying you do this, but when you get frustrated with your dog it can be difficult to hold back that feeling.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Great ideas thanks. I might get a whistle so and combine that with new treats. I don't shout when he doesn't come, I just walk the other direction until he comes after me.

robocode wrote: »
    I use the Zuke's treats (from iHerb) but he's never had hot dog so that might be a good option. Which ones do you use?

I use Zukes too but more in the house - outside smelly stuff like hotdog, chicken/turkey/ham or the odd time cheese. For any of this kind of stuff I put in in one of the small tubs you get for sauces etc from the takeaway so I don't have all the other dogs looking for my puppy treats! :p

Yeah I've had other dogs sniffing at my pockets! Do you buy cooked hotdogs? How much do you use and how much do you reduce his food by then?

Yeah higher value treats that are only ever used for recall and not on any other occasion

robocode wrote: »
    Yeah I've had other dogs sniffing at my pockets! Do you buy cooked hotdogs? How much do you use and how much do you reduce his food by then?

I buy them in Lidl/Aldi and cut them into 4 long strips then cut each strip up into small slices. I'd normally cut the hole pack up and freeze some of it then take it out as needed. My dogs are skinny so I don't bother reducing the food lol!

Thanks, I'll pick some up on the way home! Are those already cooked?

Yep already cooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Do you get him to come back to you at times when you can free him again? Or do you always recall him when you need to put him on a lead or back into the car - or something he considers the end of his playtime/walk?

This happened me with an older dog. He's always had good recall and then suddenly he was ignoring me and it got to point of him not even reacting to the command. It took me ages to figure out what I'd done! I was taking him out for a run in a field nearby and he was having the best time and eventually it was time to go home and he was walked home on a lead. He learned that "come" meant end of this fun and a lead and he stopped coming back.

I had to go back to basics with him and train him a recall again and this time when he was out in the field with me, I'd call him regularly, he'd come back, I'd praise him and then free him again and he learned that the majority of the time he was recalled it was fine. A few things - if this is your problem, make sure you don't use a particular spot to be your recall for going home as he'll soon learn that being called when you're standing there is not good! If I had mine out for half an hour's run, I'd recall them 5+ times in that half hour.

Best of luck with it. Persevere and you'll get there!!

• Advertisement

No I was wary of that so would call him back throughout the walk for a treat and then let him wander ahead again. Thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dkod

I call it the teenage stage. My 2 grew out of it(most of the time!). My 2 also got neutered young. My vet said once the stuff was down.(yep I am 2 and cannot say balls). And my vet is fab. Mind you Its Yorkies I have

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

put back on the lead for a week,when do you feed the dog

is it after you have all eaten,dont feed from table or after you have eaten,

don't feed before you go out

In the morning I feed him after walking him before I leave for work and then in the evening I feed him before/when we have dinner and then walk him maybe an hour after this.

Well OP your pup is a couple of weeks ahead of mine - the little devil has legged it on me the last 2 days!! :rolleyes:

I brought some ham on a walk the other day, once he realised that was on offer he came tearing towards me whenever called, even when he wandered about he would stop and look over as if to say "did you just call me for ham?"

Thats brilliant - make sure you reward him for checking in like that so he keeps it up!

Advertisement