Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert sole current account into a Joint account

Options
  • 04-02-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I have a current account with BOI and I want to add my girlfriend onto my account as a joint account holder.  Is this possible without having to close my current account and opening a new joint account?  ie keep the same account number and keep all Direct Debits and Standing Orders the same but convert account into Joint Account with my girlfriend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi RosAB,

Thank you for getting in contact with us.

Regrettably, it is not possible to change the status of your sole account to a Joint account. To open a joint account you will need to contact your branch and make an appointment, where both you and your girlfriend will need to attend.

Upon opening of the account, you will be provided with a new account number for the joint account, however, it may be possible to transfer your existing standing orders and direct debits to your new account. A representative in your branch will be happy to discuss this with you in more detail.

For more information on what you require to open a joint and account, please see here.

If we can help you with anything else, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks,
    Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RosAB

Hi RosAB,

Thank you for getting in contact with us.

Regrettably, it is not possible to change the status of your sole account to a Joint account. To open a joint account you will need to contact your branch and make an appointment, where both you and your girlfriend will need to attend.

Upon opening of the account, you will be provided with a new account number for the joint account, however, it may be possible to transfer your existing standing orders and direct debits to your new account. A representative in your branch will be happy to discuss this with you in more detail.

For more information on what you require to open a joint and account, please see here.

If we can help you with anything else, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks,
    Elaine

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for getting back to me.  That's not what I was hoping to hear really but not the end of the world either.  I'm not sure if I want to go through the headache of having to transfer all my Direct Debits and Standing Orders and mortgage onto another account.

Just out of curiosity, could you tell me if in the past BOI did offer the option of converting a current account into a Joint account?  I just remember seeing this somewhere not too long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi RosAB,

We understand that this may not be convenient for you and your girlfriend however, our branch representatives are very helpful and accommodating and they may be able to time the switch of your direct debits and standing orders to ensure that these are not duplicated.

We're not aware that it was ever Bank policy to convert a sole account to joint account without going through the procedure of opening a new account.

Our branch staff will be happy to work around your specific needs and requirements to make this switch as smoothly as possilbe.

We hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Elaine  

Advertisement