Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you seriously need a written letter in this day and age to cancel an account?

Options
  • 04-02-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to move providers, and I can't tell customer care I want to Cancel, they want a hand written letter with a signature on it which i'm told I can't scan and email to them, do eircom seriously make it that difficult to move providers? Why can't customer care take the 30 day notice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I'm trying to move providers, and I can't tell customer care I want to Cancel, they want a hand written letter with a signature on it which i'm told I can't scan and email to them, do eircom seriously make it that difficult to move providers? Why can't customer care take the 30 day notice?

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi drunkmonkey[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Cancellations require written notification send by post I'm afraid. I can understand the inconvenience this can cause however this is the agreed procedure in place for providing 30 day notification of intent to move provider.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]In this letter please include the following in the format that suits you:[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Name on account[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Telephone number[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Account number[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Signed signature of account holder only[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]notification that you intend to move provider[/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

Hi drunkmonkey

Cancellations require written notification send by post I'm afraid. I can understand the inconvenience this can cause however this is the agreed procedure in place for providing 30 day notification of intent to move provider.

In this letter please include the following in the format that suits you:
    • Name on account
    • Telephone number
    • Account number
    • Signed signature of account holder only
    • notification that you intend to move provider

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Hi drunkmonkey

Cancellations require written notification send by post I'm afraid. I can understand the inconvenience this can cause however this is the agreed procedure in place for providing 30 day notification of intent to move provider.

• Name on account
    • Telephone number
    • Account number

[*]

Thanks

Al

[*]
    Why is this a requirement? If an account number and a few security questions is enough to enter into a contract, it should be enough to terminate it also. I'm pretty sure there is no regulatory or legal requirement for this, and personally think it's a bit os a stonewalling tactic. I notice that the any time a company requires this as a means of communication, that it's related to something they don't want to do: contract termination, complaints, application denials... that sort of thing, and I believe that it is the hope that this will act as a filter to at least some of the people that wish to take these actions.

gerryk wrote: »

Hi drunkmonkey

• Name on account
    • Telephone number
    • Account number

[*]

Thanks

Al

[*]
    Why is this a requirement? If an account number and a few security questions is enough to enter into a contract, it should be enough to terminate it also. I'm pretty sure there is no regulatory or legal requirement for this, and personally think it's a bit os a stonewalling tactic. I notice that the any time a company requires this as a means of communication, that it's related to something they don't want to do: contract termination, complaints, application denials... that sort of thing, and I believe that it is the hope that this will act as a filter to at least some of the people that wish to take these actions.
    [*]
    Hi drunkmonkey

I'm unable to offer reasons behind such operational decisions made by eircom. I'm aware that it would be interesting to know why but I'm afraid I just do not have information on the reasons for this proceedure however I will use your post as feedback to operations on this.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hi drunkmonkey

• Name on account
    • Telephone number
    • Account number

[*]

Thanks

Al

[*]
    [*]
    Wel it's backfired on them this time, I was moving one number this morning and had intend to leave the rest of my accounts there, but seen as eircom are making this a pain in the arse for me, i'm moving my 2 remaining accounts as well, it's as handy put 3 letters in the envelope. 

I presume the 30 days is from the day it's posted and not the day you finally update your systems it's been received, can you confirm? 

• Advertisement

Hi drunkmonkey

• Name on account
    • Telephone number
    • Account number

[*]

Thanks

Al

[*]

[*]
    Wel it's backfired on them this time, I was moving one number this morning and had intend to leave the rest of my accounts there, but seen as eircom are making this a pain in the arse for me, i'm moving my 2 remaining accounts as well, it's as handy put 3 letters in the envelope. 

I presume the 30 days is from the day it's posted and not the day you finally update your systems it's been received, can you confirm? 
    [*]

Hi drunkmonkey

I'm very sorry that the cancellation procedure has makes you feel this way and I can assure you that we will use your feelings on this as feedback to operations.

I can confirm that the 30days notice timeframe will be applied from the day the letter is received.

Thanks

Al

Hi Al,

Can you re-confirm the full postal address and who the letter of cancellation should be made out to, your customer care will not put that address in writing to me. I sent the letter Tuesday but it wasn't received yesterday. I'm now going to register another letter today so I will have confirmation it was delivered. Thanks 

Hi Al,

Can you re-confirm the full postal address and who the letter of cancellation should be made out to, your customer care will not put that address in writing to me. I sent the letter Tuesday but it wasn't received yesterday. I'm now going to register another letter today so I will have confirmation it was delivered. Thanks 
    Hi drunkmonkey

I have sent you a PM on this now

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Hi Al,

Hi drunkmonkey

Thanks

Al
    hi alan could you please pm me this info aswel sent letter last week and it was not recieved thank you

martyo wrote: »
    Hi Al,

Hi drunkmonkey

Thanks

Al
    hi alan could you please pm me this info aswel sent letter last week and it was not recieved thank you
    HI martyo

I have sent you this now

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 wombats

Hi alan

Could you PM me the address for cancellations please also.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Just wondering when this started to become a requirement? Shirley you can port away to a different company without notice. The new company [voda for example] handle the details. However, you will still get a final bill from eircom 30 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Herr Khume Schuccs

I can enlighten you on that one Al, there is no big mystery as to why Eircom's switching procedures are such a complicated pain in the ass, it is to stop people switching. Letters going missing seem to be a common method to retain customers, even if you try and follow their procedures it is difficult not to end up getting fined or a loss of service or both.
    ComReg have ruled against this 30 day notice, a link to their finding is included on my thread. Hopefully they will fine Eircom for their anti competitive actions, eventually. No harm complaining to ComReg.

I sent 2 letters one the day of my original post and one the day after. I have not been contacted as expected to confirm the start of the 30 days. 
    I've cancelled my direct debit with the bank, I'm willing to pay my 30 days from the day after I sent the first letter but for not one day longer. 
    It's a ****ty procedure to cancel and has left a bad taste in my mouth, I will never be an eircom customer again under any circumstances.
    What should have been a simple adjustment to my account has ended up causing me to switch provides and from what I can see eircom have taken the proverbial with this cancellation procedure. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

The cancellation procedure seems more complicated & confusining than it should be. Seemingly a cancellation letter alone is not sufficient to cancel - you have to have already informed eircom by phone of your intention to cancel & if you haven't done that your cancellation letter will mean nothing & be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

I sent 2 letters one the day of my original post and one the day after. I have not been contacted as expected to confirm the start of the 30 days. 
    I've cancelled my direct debit with the bank, I'm willing to pay my 30 days from the day after I sent the first letter but for not one day longer. 
    It's a ****ty procedure to cancel and has left a bad taste in my mouth, I will never be an eircom customer again under any circumstances.
    What should have been a simple adjustment to my account has ended up causing me to switch provides and from what I can see eircom have taken the proverbial with this cancellation procedure. 
    Hi drunkmonkey
    Though there is a set procedure for closing of accounts, which is necessary to close up outstanding billing this should not be so difficult. Our apologies that this was such a bad experience for you. I have you details and will chase this issue for you. I will be able to advise on your request to cancel.
    Tony

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi drunkmonkey

Apologies for the disappointment. At present there is no procedure in place which includes you being contacted to make you aware of the 30day notice, I understand that it would be helpful to have this however we do have a cancellations department contactable on a free phone number where you can call and check this.

If you would like to PM me the eircom account numbers in question I can look in to this for you, alternatively you can contact eircom cancellations on free phone 1901 (enter your number and choose options 4 then 3).

Thanks
    Al[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

I can shed some light on this and why it has to be in writing.

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/TCsForTelephoneService_V3.pdf

"5.1The Agreement, subject to Clauses 5.2 and 6 below may be terminated by either party
    giving to the other one month’s prior notice in writing requesting termination of the
    Agreement. If the Agreement is terminated, eircom will refund any monies owed to
    the Customer; after first deducting any monies the Customer owes to eircom under
    this Agreement or any other agreement which eircom has with the Customer. If no
    monies are due to the Customer, eircom reserves the right to seek any monies due 
    by the Customer to eircom as a debt due to eircom. "

So these are the term and conditions you agree to with eircom and when you want to cancel you have to follow them.

Pain alright but no leg to stand on at the moment until this changes

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

What a joke, firstly that you have to write a letter to cancel, shows how eircom are still in the dark ages, secondly that it only takes effect from the date the letter is received and lastly that letters mysteriously disappear 

Hi lifeandtimes,
    ComReg have ruled against the requirement for 30 day notice, as well as other disincentives to customers switching providers, see http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg13114.pdf (extract below), ComRegs findings trump anything Eircom may have in their T&C's so I would have though that it was Eircom didn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to requiring this 30 day notice from their customers.
    HKS

5. The amended notification of non-compliance notifies Eircom of a finding that it has not complied with its obligation set out at Regulation 25(6)(b) of the Universal Service Regulations as it has failed to ensure that its conditions and procedures for contract termination do not act as a disincentive to a consumer to changing service provider.
    6. The conditions and procedures for contract termination that, individually and cumulatively, act as a disincentive to a consumer changing service provider are as follows:
    i. The requirement to provide one month’s written notification;
    ii. The required contact with the Eircom “Save” team that is embedded within the contract termination conditions and procedures;
    iii. The complex contract termination procedures that a consumer is required to go through;
    iv. The complex contract termination conditions that lack transparency and predictability that a consumer is required to comply with;
    v. The risk that a consumer could suffer a service break through the switching process; and
    vi. The termination charges, in lieu of notice, that are applied by Eircom. Also, the disaggregated bundle charges that are applied by Eircom, irrespective of whether the consumer has given the stipulated written notice.
    7. Eircom has until 17 January 2014 within which to state its views.
    8. Regulation 31(5) of the Universal Service Regulations provides that if, at the end of the period referred to above, ComReg is of the opinion that an undertaking has not complied with its obligations, ComReg may apply to the High Court for such an order as ComReg may consider appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Hi lifeandtimes,
    ComReg have ruled against the requirement for 30 day notice, as well as other disincentives to customers switching providers, see http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg13114.pdf (extract below), ComRegs findings trump anything Eircom may have in their T&C's so I would have though that it was Eircom didn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to requiring this 30 day notice from their customers.
    HKS

5. The amended notification of non-compliance notifies Eircom of a finding that it has not complied with its obligation set out at Regulation 25(6)(b) of the Universal Service Regulations as it has failed to ensure that its conditions and procedures for contract termination do not act as a disincentive to a consumer to changing service provider.
    6. The conditions and procedures for contract termination that, individually and cumulatively, act as a disincentive to a consumer changing service provider are as follows:
    i. The requirement to provide one month’s written notification;
    ii. The required contact with the Eircom “Save” team that is embedded within the contract termination conditions and procedures;
    iii. The complex contract termination procedures that a consumer is required to go through;
    iv. The complex contract termination conditions that lack transparency and predictability that a consumer is required to comply with;
    v. The risk that a consumer could suffer a service break through the switching process; and
    vi. The termination charges, in lieu of notice, that are applied by Eircom. Also, the disaggregated bundle charges that are applied by Eircom, irrespective of whether the consumer has given the stipulated written notice.
    7. Eircom has until 17 January 2014 within which to state its views.
    8. Regulation 31(5) of the Universal Service Regulations provides that if, at the end of the period referred to above, ComReg is of the opinion that an undertaking has not complied with its obligations, ComReg may apply to the High Court for such an order as ComReg may consider appropriate.
    Thats all well and good but obviously nothing has come of this, the date says eircom have until 17/01/14 to "state their views" after "ComRegs opinion"...dosent mean squat until they are enforced and are then made enforce the change and i haven't seen ComReg say otherwise and its quite obvioue, that employees are advising of these T&Cs and nobody has stopped them as of today

Just my opinion, it seems relevant to Cushie Butterfield's point,  you are of course entitled to your opinion. If interested, I have included a few more details below.

ComReg regulates the communications sector, including Eircom
    ComReg issued Finding of Non-Compliance (ref: ComReg 13/114 dated 2/12/2013) against Eircom relating to Regulation 25(6)(b) of the Universal Service Regulations ie 'Without prejudice to any minimum contractual period the undertaking shall ensure that conditions and procedures for contract termination do not act as a disincentive to a consumer to changing service provider'
    Eircom are given the opportunity to respond to these findings
    ComReg can take Eircom to court if they fail to comply
    Fines can be imposed on Eircom in relation to this

Advertisement