Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simpsons Fight Club

• 04-02-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

http://tester12345.comoj.com/

A website I made yesterday for fun and to learn some more about databases.
    It works just like Zuckerbergs early website - FaceMash. You simply pick the character you think would win the fight in this case. Elo's rating system is applied to each decision made, which then ranks the characters in order of top rated.

It's kind of cool that the algorithm can then predict who is likely to win each fight, giving an expected value for each match up.

Anyway I think it's pretty fun to use and might gain some traction among simpsons fanatics. But before I am to buy a domain and premium hosting, I would like some feedback as to how I can improve the sites overall appearance and the users experience, and if you think it is worth my while pursuing it. It has been a great learning experience, anyway!

All feedback, good or bad, very welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 benny306

Hi,

I would be interested in seeing the algorithm you used for this. Sounds kind of cool.

Just looking at the site, not a big fan of the colour scheme. The yellow is a bit loud on the eyes.

Also what about adding an about page to explain how the site works, how the rankings work etc. What about a post to facebook page or something social.

A top rated page which shows results, fights won vs fights lost, % won, etc. could be something to look into as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭TheSetMiner

benny306 wrote: »
    Hi,

I would be interested in seeing the algorithm you used for this. Sounds kind of cool.

Just looking at the site, not a big fan of the colour scheme. The yellow is a bit loud on the eyes.

Also what about adding an about page to explain how the site works, how the rankings work etc. What about a post to facebook page or something social.

A top rated page which shows results, fights won vs fights lost, % won, etc. could be something to look into as well.

Thanks for the feedback. So you reckon this might be worth pursuing? Any advice on what kind of server I should acquire and what pricing etc.

The algorithm is elo's rating system algorithm, the same algorithm used to rank chess players, seen in online chess/backgammon platforms. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

I will certainly add an about section to the website, and will look at revising the colours (design is not my strength.), facebook and other social integration will follow if I choose to pursue it! I like the idea of showing the recent fights on a separate page too, along with detailed stats on each character perhaps so I will take that into consideration too!
    Thank you very much for your feedback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Change of colour as has been mentioned.
    Maybe better quality images of the characters. And their names under each image (integrated at the bottom of the image) would be nice.

I don't think it needs an 'About' page myself. It's pretty straightforward.

What about incorporating other cartoon characters? Like Family Guy, Flinstones, etc... Who'd win against Barney Rubble and Barney Gumble?

Paddy_R wrote: »
    Change of colour as has been mentioned.
    Maybe better quality images of the characters. And their names under each image (integrated at the bottom of the image) would be nice.

I don't think it needs an 'About' page myself. It's pretty straightforward.

What about incorporating other cartoon characters? Like Family Guy, Flinstones, etc... Who'd win against Barney Rubble and Barney Gumble?

The idea of better quality images is appealing but to be honest, impossible, given I am getting these from a separate source. I could have them displayed smaller, however, to avoid pixelation? And I am experimenting with other colours at the minute - seems impossible to satisfy myself when it comes to design!

I would like to have their names under each picture also, but at the moment, I can't see a way of achieving this other than manually doing it for each picture.

Now incorporating other cartoon characters, funnily enough, was my initial idea. I may just look into doing this properly as it would be more entertaining and perhaps controversial to do that. I was also thinking about doing a celebrity fight club initially but settled on simpsons as I had the images at my disposal.

So I know I can achieve, to a certain degree of quality, a cartoon fight club website with some social integration, a better colour scheme and less pixelated images.

I think my main concern is the servers. Already, while sharing this with a few of you and using it myself I have noticed that 000webhost is very unreliable. Can anyone suggest a better alternative? Is there such thing as a free host which could handle a couple of hundred unique visitors daily or should I really be willing to spend a bit of money here? I will purchase the domain name once I am certain this is something I am going to pursue but it is worth adding that I have no experience with web servers so any advie appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/a2746272/public_html/index.php on line 41

:-) need better under construction page

• Advertisement

Elfman wrote: »
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/a2746272/public_html/index.php on line 41

:-) need better under construction page

Yeah I am updating stuff at the minute, playing around with other features and ideas. I have decided not to pursue this idea. I'm going to devote my time to learning android app development I think!

Mods can you delete this thread? I don't know how but there is no point directing people to the site anymore. cheers :)

Advertisement