Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tickemaster adding insurance to Dublin Bus sales

Options
  • 04-02-2014 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi.
    You know, I just want to share my experience of buying Dublinbus tickets online.
    I hope that will help you in the future.

So, on Sunday, I decided to buy a rambler ticket from Dublinbus web site: 10 journeys 90 minutes unlimited travel. Well I don't want to mention BTW, that the price for this tickets went up from 18.00 Euros in 2010 to 27.50Euro in 2014 (more than 30% price hike). Anyway, I was redirected to Ticketmaster web site - a dublin bus official online seller. After adding my ticket to the shopping cart I was promted to accept terms and conditions. THAT WAS BIGGEST MISTAKE OF THE DAY, as accepting that - you automatically adding to your shopping an insurance for EVENT (!). I didn't noticed that.
    On the next stage it was a VISA verifying window, where it was stated that I'm authorising my card for that 27.50 Euro (ticket price). Happy days. However I few moments I got an email, with a confirmation, that in addition to Dublin Bus ticket I got an insurance from Ticketmaster for NOT EXISTING event (3.42 Euro). WHAT A <SNIP> I tryed to contact Ticketmaster, Allianz insurance with no results. Dublin Bus told me that it was not their problem, as I accepted terms and conditions of Ticketmaster.
    So fighting with Ticketmaster for refund of that Insurance.

A little explanation here: Tickemaster selling DublinBus commuter tickets in the same way as they selling concert tickets. Because of that they have a feature to add automatically EVENT CANCELLATION insurance. So by buying DublinBus commuter ticket they selling that ticket as en EVENT ticket and you getting automatically cancelation insurance... This is FRAUD in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Dublin bus and bus eireann are a disaster. Small claims court will get their attention. Otherwise they don't give a ****.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

percy212 wrote: »
    Dublin bus and bus eireann are a disaster. Small claims court will get their attention. Otherwise they don't give a ****.

In this case its ticketmaster that sold the insurance and it was ticket masters website that was used, doubt a claim against bus eireann would be successful as they didn't sell the actual insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

I'm not agree.
    Dublin Bus redirected me to Ticketmaster Web site for those tickets. Because of that they should take responsability of that <SNIP> insurance as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Id say the first post is heavily embellished.

If you got charged for insurance then you clearly clicked on or didn't uncheck a box asking if you wanted insurance added. Now that doesn't mean you don't have the ability to cancel it.

As its event insurance and you aren't attending an event the insurance itself appears invalid and as such you cannot be expected to pay for something you have not got.

When you say you tried to contact ticketmaster with no results what exactly do you mean ? did you actually speak to somebody and if so what did they say ?

Personally I wouldn't be arsed wasting my time over less than €4 but if on principle you want to see this through go for it.

D3PO wrote: »
    Id say the first post is heavily embellished.

If you got charged for insurance then you clearly clicked on or didn't uncheck a box asking if you wanted insurance added. Now that doesn't mean you don't have the ability to cancel it.

As its event insurance and you aren't attending an event the insurance itself appears invalid and as such you cannot be expected to pay for something you have not got.

When you say you tried to contact ticketmaster with no results what exactly do you mean ? did you actually speak to somebody and if so what did they say ?

Personally I wouldn't be arsed wasting my time over less than €4 but if on principle you want to see this through go for it.

I send an email to Ticketmaster and Allianz Insurance straight away (Sunday). Today is Tuesday - no response.

I don't mind those 4 Euros. But come on, if they selling that insurance to everyone - It's a good buisness for them ehh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭28064212

These are the terms and conditions you agreed to. Hard to see how you could really have missed what you were purchasing

292267.png

If you were to suffer a serious injury that would prevent you from using these tickets, you would receive a refund. Hard to see how you can possibly claim you were misled

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

You may cancel your Missed Event Insurance within 14 days of the date of purchase and receive a full refund of the premium. Applies only if the event has not commenced or a claim has not been submitted. If you have purchased Missed Event Insurance inadvertently, please contact The Insurance Provider with details of your policy (Policy Number and Transaction Number). These details will feature in the confirmation email that you received from the missed event insurance provider. You can contact them by:
    Email at Insurance@allianz-assistance.ie.Phone at +353 1 637 3617 or +44 20 8666 9562Post at 511 Q House, Furze Road, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Dublin 18.
    Customers of Missed Event Insurance must be Irish or UK residents. Please note that the purchase of Missed Event Insurance is not compulsory. Ticketline trading as Ticketmaster (incorporated in the Republic of Ireland Company Number 135876) Registered address 70 Grafton Street, Dublin 2.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/h/help.html?tm_link=tm_homeA_ql_4

just cancel it

Cant' see how it's Dublin Bus's problem anyway. If you bought a ticket to Bruno Mars and was sold insurance would you bnlame Bruno Mars?

So you want to say, that selling this insurance together with DublinBus commuter rambler tickets is OK???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

andersat2 wrote: »
    So you want to say, that selling this insurance together with DublinBus commuter rambler tickets is OK???

If people choose it themselves by clicking the big huge 'YES' radio button, then, yes.

Why wouldn't it be? They make it very clear that they are selling insurance (unlike your initial post claims), it's not compulsory (unlike your initial post claims), and you are protected against a number of outcomes (unlike your initial post claims).

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I send an email to Ticketmaster and Allianz Insurance straight away (Sunday). Today is Tuesday - no response.

I don't mind those 4 Euros. But come on, if they selling that insurance to everyone - It's a good buisness for them ehh?

Sunday was not a normal business day.
    Monday - probably spent dealing with 100's of emails that arrive before yours.
    Today (at the time of your OP) was not even half way through the second day.

Give them a reasonable chance to get back to you :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

So if he misses his bus he's insured?????

They clearly shouldn't offer this insurance for this type of ticket on Ticketmaster.

Only €4 - multiply that by tens of thousands. And people give out about Ryanair's website.

Its just stupid. I cant believe Dublin bus cant get it together to sell rambler tickets via a dedicated site. Bus tickets do not typically come with an insurance option. Ticketmaster is capitalizing on Dublin bus's incompetence. Its annoying. Insist on a refund OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This insurance "scam" was highlighted before by people when it was first introduced by ticketmaster. At that time there was outcry and even Joe Duffy got on the case. Ticketmaster at that time agreed to set the default option to NO so that people would at least have a choice without the need to take action later to recover funds they had no intention of paying out.

Obviously something has changed and ticketmaster have reverted to adding this charge by default which IMO is wrong.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Obviously something has changed and ticketmaster have reverted to adding this charge by default which IMO is wrong.
    It is NOT added by default. I posted a screenshot above of the exact page that is presented for dublin bus rambler tickets. Nothing is selected, and it quite clearly states what it is for. The OP clicked through the screens without reading what they were doing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

To summarise what helpful posters have written:
    1. You opted in to the insurance sale from ticket master (not a Dublin Bus problem as they sold you nothing)
    2. You can cancel and get a refund from ticket master (so no consumer issue here)
    3. Learning: Read T&Cs before clicking 'OK'
    Next please.

OK, look, I clicked that bloody insurance ok,

BUT, explain me, what type of insurance it is?

It was stated that it's covers "DUBLIN BUS EVENT" on february 22, 2015.
    It's a <SNIP> event created only to sell this <SNIP> INSURANCE.

Are you not thinking, that they SELLING insurance for the event which is NOT EXISTS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Are you not thinking, that they SELLING insurance for the event which is NOT EXISTS?

What were you thinking when clicking on something you knew nothing about?

The insurance option should be REMOVED from transactions where it is not applicable. Its lazy and disingenuous to present insurance as a potential purchase for a bus ticket. ****ers

Policy Details Type of policy: Mondial Assistance Missed Event
    Purchase Date: 02.02.2014
    Event Date: 22.02.2015

Premium: €3.27 including Insurance Premium Tax at the current rate.

Once again, thank you for choosing our missed event insurance and we hope you enjoy event.

• Advertisement

The insurance option should be REMOVED from transactions where it is not applicable. Its lazy and disingenuous to present insurance as a potential purchase for a bus ticket. ****ers

exactly, that what I'm trying to say.

If you, say, break your leg, and are in hospital for the next few weeks, you can use the insurance to claim the cost of your rambler tickets back. You can not do this without insurance. It is not fake insurance, no matter how many capitals you use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

1. Miss bus on February 22nd.
    2. Submit claim.
    3. Profit?

I was really serious for making a claim using that insurance, just to laugh on them

No Pants wrote: »
    1. Miss bus on February 22nd.
    2. Submit claim.
    3. Profit?

profit will be 27.50 Euro - the cost of rambler bus ticket

You are right to be annoyed op. Its a cynical business process. Don't let the issue drop. Make them do something.

I was really serious for making a claim using that insurance, just to laugh on them
    Oh look, some more terms and conditions you didn't read. Insurance does not cover you "deciding not to use it"

I doubt the insurance is valid but it would be amusing to test it out.

I doubt the insurance is valid but it would be amusing to test it out.
    Why wouldn't it be valid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why wouldn't it be easier just to buy said ticket in a shop most sell them.

You can buy them in DB head office also.

Now with the leap all these other cards in paper form are being fazed out so all will be added to your leap as you purchase them.

Advertisement