Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this home gym good?

• 04-02-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I wish to buy a home gym. I found one in argos.ie. It is pro power home gym having only 130 euros. It has a weight stack of 35 kg.
    I am a guy 33 years old having 95 kg weight. I am exercising everyday with dumbells. currently I am using an 8kg weight. So my question is is this home gym with 35 kg maximum weight is enough for me. If I by this, will I have to regret in the future because of only 35 kg weight stack.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Looks flimsy and a 35kg stack is relatively light. If you're interested in working out and you apply yourself, you'd outgrow it pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

agree, its very light
    you would soon be selling on donedeal.

Stick with free weights.
    Should be able to pick up a bench and some cast iron weights for the price of the Pro Power Home Gym and you would get much more use in the long term.

Also...if buying a barbell, the spinlock ones in argos' aren't too bad...can handle about 140kg, but stay away from the cheap hollow ones which come with the vinyl weights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's absolute crap and wouldn't do you longer than a few weeks at most.

Setting up a decent home gym is expensive business.
    Body weight exercises or kettle bells or something might be a decent option.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vimal_andrew

Now I found another one in Argos.ie with only 127 euros. It has a weight stack of 59kg. See this:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1515642/Trail/searchtext%3EHOME+GYM.htm

It says a lot of exercises can be done on it. anybody has any opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Still looks flimsy. Max user weight is 100kg.

Hold onto your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

OP you'd be better off scouring places like donedeal for gyms that have closed for their second hand gear. If you want something to last your gonna have to spend a bit of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Now I found another one in Argos.ie with only 127 euros. It has a weight stack of 59kg. See this:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1515642/Trail/searchtext%3EHOME+GYM.htm

It says a lot of exercises can be done on it. anybody has any opinion?

The all in one machines are not great and you cannot add weight to them. You'd be better off buying a bench, a squat stand and a pull up bar - you can then buy extra weights to add to your bar whenever you need to. They also resell easily. You'll be very limited with that all in one yoke.

Have a look for stuff on adverts or done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I wouldn't mind a home GYM myself at some stage...hate waiting to use a particular machine if GYM is busy. Best set up would be a solid enough squat rack, bench and an Olympic barbell that fits on both. You can buy set of weights and then just buy more as you need it.

If you want to do likes of chest fly or lat pull down, then id just stick to a proper GYM.

Advertisement