Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the song-and-dance?

Options
  • 04-02-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

I had my router damaged by lightening over the weekend. When I spoke to CS, I was told that if I entered into a new contract that they would provide a new one FOC. I explained that since Eircom are unable to provide me with a date by which I will be able to avail of fibre broadband, that I am not interested in entering into a contract.

There was whole back-and-forth, with the CS rep trying to persuade me and me declining. I finally said that it looked like the only option open to me was to leave and go with another provider. At this stage , she put me on hold, and 20 seconds later said that her manager has agreed to provide me with another router FOC without my having to enter into a contract. I thanked her and went about my business.

What I would like to know is why this wasn't done immediately? Now, instead of being impressed at Eircom's customer care, I am frustrated, knowing that I was put through a bunch of crap for nothing, and to be honest, was I not limited in my options to other copper DSL providers, would leave in the morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

gerryk wrote: »
    I had my router damaged by lightening over the weekend. When I spoke to CS, I was told that if I entered into a new contract that they would provide a new one FOC. I explained that since Eircom are unable to provide me with a date by which I will be able to avail of fibre broadband, that I am not interested in entering into a contract.

There was whole back-and-forth, with the CS rep trying to persuade me and me declining. I finally said that it looked like the only option open to me was to leave and go with another provider. At this stage , she put me on hold, and 20 seconds later said that her manager has agreed to provide me with another router FOC without my having to enter into a contract. I thanked her and went about my business.

What I would like to know is why this wasn't done immediately? Now, instead of being impressed at Eircom's customer care, I am frustrated, knowing that I was put through a bunch of crap for nothing, and to be honest, was I not limited in my options to other copper DSL providers, would leave in the morning.
    Hi gerryk

I'm sorry to hear of this negative experience but glad to hear you got a modem. I'm unable to give reasons behind for such operational decisions that have been made here as such information would not be available to me. 

Thanks

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Gerry
    yes, not a great "customer experience" but really front line agents do have a process to follow, and the agent was following the correct process for replacement modems when a customer is out of contract. ( this is also a De-facto warranty period) Your own point ( where no date for eFibre availability was available) which is not related to the modem issue would obviously not be a condition to overturn a set process. Thankfully the agent did follow up on this and I am glad you will receive a replacement modem free of charge.
    I hope this answers your question.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Hi Alan, Tony... thanks for the replies.
    I understand that the agent has a process to follow, and in no way blame the agent, but the broken process for which he/she is a conduit. The efibre availability was my reason for not entering into a contract, but as soon as I mentioned leaving, all the previous rigmarole was forgotten and the process duly overturned.
    To give a possible example of how this might have been improved is to factor my history as a customer (which is approaching 20 years almost continuously) and make decisions based on that rather the binding nature of a contract. Can you see where I am coming from?

I recognise that you are not in a position to change this process, but feel that as a customer, it is my duty to myself to point out where I think you could do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Alan, Tony... thanks for the replies.
    I understand that the agent has a process to follow, and in no way blame the agent, but the broken process for which he/she is a conduit. The efibre availability was my reason for not entering into a contract, but as soon as I mentioned leaving, all the previous rigmarole was forgotten and the process duly overturned.
    To give a possible example of how this might have been improved is to factor my history as a customer (which is approaching 20 years almost continuously) and make decisions based on that rather the binding nature of a contract. Can you see where I am coming from?

I recognise that you are not in a position to change this process, but feel that as a customer, it is my duty to myself to point out where I think you could do better.
    Hi gerryk
    Yes I take both points. Your history as a customer is certainly a strong point and this is recognized as important within the company, we have also passed this on to customer experience team.

Thanks for the post Gerry we are always looking for ways to do customer support better.
    Tony

Advertisement