Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USIT Visa questions

Options
  • 04-02-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Was thinking of heading over to Australia in late September/early October this year and had a few questions regarding the VISA. Was looking on the USIT website and there are a number of VISA options, I was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice on which one would be the best or would I better off getting it without USIT.

http://www.usit.ie/work-abroad/australia/1-year-working-holiday-visa

Was also looking at flights on the Aer lingus website. Would it be cheaper to book these through a different airline or through separate airlines all together (ie fly to london and then book a flight separately to australia from there etc).

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's plenty of good info below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73021962#post73021962
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170937

The main point is that you can get the WHV by going straight to the Australian Embassy/website and save yourself some money by bypassing USIT. Also getting the Tax File Number and setting up a Bank Account are both free to do and getting an Oz SIM card is pretty cheap ($10 maybe, if even that)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Thanks a lot, the above is very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Use skyscanner to look up flights. Aer Lingus don't fly to Australia so you'd be flying through a partner airline.

Malaysia Airlines, Emirates, Etihad, Qantas, Singapore Airlines are the better ones I've flown with the 6 times I've done the journey.

Stay away from Turkish Airlines.

Appreciate it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Was thinking of heading over to Australia in late September/early October this year and had a few questions regarding the VISA. Was looking on the USIT website and there are a number of VISA options, I was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice on which one would be the best or would I better off getting it without USIT.

http://www.usit.ie/work-abroad/australia/1-year-working-holiday-visa

Was also looking at flights on the Aer lingus website. Would it be cheaper to book these through a different airline or through separate airlines all together (ie fly to london and then book a flight separately to australia from there etc).

Any help would be appreciated.
    will be heading over the same time as yourselg going to be booking the visa in the middle of next month so will let you know how I get on, looks like I'll be doing it through the embassy, staying away from USIT.

Will be booking the flights around June and then be on the countdown after the weather the last few days this place would drive you mad wish i was going this weekend :p

• Advertisement

will be heading over the same time as yourselg going to be booking the visa in the middle of next month so will let you know how I get on, looks like I'll be doing it through the embassy, staying away from USIT.

Will be booking the flights around June and then be on the countdown after the weather the last few days this place would drive you mad wish i was going this weekend :p

After looking at Catfromhue's post think ill try to get the Visa next week. Be worried if I don't get it soon ill never get it ha. If i do get it then I'll post back here with how I got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    After looking at Catfromhue's post think ill try to get the Visa next week. Be worried if I don't get it soon ill never get it ha. If i do get it then I'll post back here with how I got on.

Ha i've been like that for the last two years kept putting it off all the time but its definetly happening this time !!

Advertisement