Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new traffic lights at Celbridge House

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

No issues yesterday evening at around 6, maybe as a result of the Traffic accident on the N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Of course it doesn't come down to who went to meetings or focus groups! But at least they consulted us. There isn't any argument or rant about delays experienced which will better the improved safety for all angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It has just taken me 5 mins to get from Ray Crofton's garage to Salesians, the school closed over 20 mins ago. I dislike these new lights.

EDIT: exactly 24 mins from Ray Crofton's to Tesco leaving Ray Crofton's at 4:16pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I'm stuck at the traffic lights now and it's a.disaster.
    The lights are green for less.than 10 seconds
    Traffic has been a.disaster all week and I've.been late for everything.
    Who thought of this clever plan

• Registered Users Posts: 2 longrun

Lots of comments re neccessity for lights, who's responsible etc. in addition to the newly switched on lights, there is another set of pedestrian crossing lights waiting to be switched on just past the car park entrance to Celbridge House. It strikes me as sensible to have the pedestrian lights for school kids etc at this location, however the lights at the junction with Aghards Rd are a joke. Since the junction was upgraded, traffic flow has been fine, the lights have knackerred everything. They need to be decommissioned as soon as possible.

Finally, the councillor that was so quick to seek credit for the installation of the lights is FF Councillor, Frank O'Rourke, at the time he cited issues for motorists from estates along Aghards Rd trying to access Maynooth Rd as a major reason for needing lights, I don't think it's any coincidence that Mr O'Rourke lives in Ballygoran, one of the affected estates!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It was backing on to the N4 at just after 6pm tonight. I skipped it altogether and came on via maynooth. Apparently they were putting in guttering, it was down to one lane, and should be better on Monday according to Livedrive

Edit : if that's true about the councillor, at least it means he's stuck in it too and might be more amenable to black bagging them ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 longrun

http://frankorourke.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/delivered-for-celbridge-in-2013/ link above from Frank O'Rourke's website everyone needs to drop him a mail to get his bin bags organised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

It's been bad all week I've been stuck on the m4 slip road all week coming home
    Soon we're gonna be stuck on the m4.

P.s I wasn't driving when I was posting that I was.stuck at lights :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Arrived at the slip road into Celbridge at 4.45pm this evening. Traffic already backed up to the roundabout. Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

How are planning people getting away with these kinds of ****e ideas. He should be made drive through there every night for a month. A child could tell that was going to be a woeful idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 max97

I am a resident living on maynooth road along with many residents associations and groups we contacted cllr o'rourke to have this long overdue and much needed work carried out. In this part of Celbridge there are 2,500 houses, a school and many business's which were looking to have this area made safe. Let's give the new layout we all wanted a chance to work. Cllr. O'rourke made sure we all had the opportunity to give our suggestions, ideas and concerns on, as every residents association, business, school etc., were given copies of the plans by him and had lots of public meetings with him as i was there, where were you and you could have given your ideas before it went to planning. I don't think cllr.O'Rourke designed, planned or built the junction but he did get the funding for this and many other important things in this area whilst others sat on their hands. Have you considered contacting cllr O'Rourke to voice your concerns and not hide behind this social media site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

max97 wrote: »
    I am a resident living on maynooth road along with many residents associations and groups we contacted cllr o'rourke to have this long overdue and much needed work carried out. In this part of Celbridge there are 2,500 houses, a school and many business's which were looking to have this area made safe. Let's give the new layout we all wanted a chance to work. Cllr. O'rourke made sure we all had the opportunity to give our suggestions, ideas and concerns on, as every residents association, business, school etc., were given copies of the plans by him and had lots of public meetings with him as i was there, where were you and you could have given your ideas before it went to planning. I don't think cllr.O'Rourke designed, planned or built the junction but he did get the funding for this and many other important things in this area whilst others sat on their hands. Have you considered contacting cllr O'Rourke to voice your concerns and not hide behind this social media site.

Interesting first post??????????????? :rolleyes:

Amazing how powerful cllr.o'rourke is that he got his very own set of traffic lights!!!!!!!!!!!!! How ridiculous to think such a thing!!!!!

Thanks, single parent putting small children on bus for school near that junction and then have to commute to work so its making my life easier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

On Thurs 6th Feb at 3.57pm I was at Salesians .... by 4.26pm I finally got through the new lights. That's 29mins to travel 0.5 mile ... on a section of road that previously flowed with no issue.

The sequencing of these lights need to be looked at immediately if they are to be of any benefit. Otherwise, like the village bridge failure of a few years ago, they should be switched off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Thanks, single parent putting small children on bus for school near that junction and then have to commute to work so its making my life easier

Well sure that's all that matters then. **** everyone else who its massively inconveniencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,879 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you considered contacting cllr O'Rourke to voice your concerns and not hide behind this social media site.

This isn't a "social media site".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

I'd be interested to hear in a bit more detail how it's making your life easier? Unless your commute is outside of 'normal' rush hours I can't see how it's easier to be honest, especially heading back towards Celbridge in the evenings.

Just from my point of view, some of my 'commutes' these days can be up to a 4-5 hours round trip, so I don't appreciate being caught in a 30 minute traffic jam within 2 minutes of home for no reason. I'm diverting through Maynooth now to preserve my sanity.
    Have you considered contacting cllr O'Rourke to voice your concerns and not hide behind this social media site.

Actually, I do intend on contacting all the Celbridge area Councillors on this list about this issue if it's not resolved in the next week.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

What is wrong with the Celbridge town planners/engineers etc that they manage to make such a royal cock up of fitting traffic lights ?First the bridge fiasco and now this!I think if I lived in the area Id be up a ladder with black sacks or a lump hammer by now .And what about our new friend above with the three posts all on this topic ?Have had experience of similar online activity on other fora and Id bet euros to cents if IP was traced they originate in the politicians 'circle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Sorry , this is relevant how ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

No where in that post do you actually explain how the traffic lights make any difference to your child getting on a bus.

Friday 3pm, it took 20 minutes to get through the lights.
    They are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I noticed last night they have added a new pedestrian crossing light
    so that will be three sets of lights between the Roundabout at N4 road and Aldi!!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

max97, you may have noticed that most posters have ignored your valid points regarding safety, the fact that many hundreds of households and local businesses called for this action and also the fact that (as I too have pointed out) the plans were made public and accessible to many residents associations and groups. IMO, this is because they are livid, as I have been, at the delays experienced. it really is infuriating especially when, at the end of a long day and a probably already long commute home, you're faced with long tail-backs so close to home. However, again as I have stated before, there isn't an argument out there that can de-rail the safety argument. I think it's a no win situation. That whole zone was an accident waiting to happen but perhaps a roundabout might have done the trick along with the pedestrian crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

Safety is indeed the most important thing, but installing 2 new traffic lights is not a solution for this.
    So many alternatives were available, but the worse possible was chosen...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'm not sure having 2 Km worth of tired, frustrated, brake-light-blinded drivers mixed with short green/amber times and, on the pedestrian side, the irresistible allure of Aldi is really all that safe?

koheim wrote: »
    So many alternatives were available, but the worse possible was chosen...

Due to the size available and the private properties on three corners a roundabout would not have been possible. Unless a roundabout had traffic lights it wouldn't have been safe either. What other options were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

GarIT wrote: »
    Due to the size available and the private properties on three corners a roundabout would not have been possible. Unless a roundabout had traffic lights it wouldn't have been safe either. What other options were there?

Make a no-right-turn onto the Maynooth Road? Make it a left-turn only and anyone wanting to go back towards Aldi/Lidl etc could go up to the roundabout and come back down. Only takes a few seconds.

kja1888 wrote: »
    Make a no-right-turn onto the Maynooth Road? Make it a left-turn only and anyone wanting to go back towards Aldi/Lidl etc could go up to the roundabout and come back down. Only takes a few seconds.

That could make the lights work better, it wouldn't improve safety without the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

GarIT wrote: »
    What other options were there?

Well, the traffic lights were installed to accommodate traffic turning right onto the Maynooth road, nothing to do with safety. They must go as soon as possible!
    If Kildare coco were serious about safety, they would invest some money into the infrastructure, not going for the cheapest possible short term solution.
    So many options, and if I could choose omly one (for arguments sake) I would implement a 30km/h zone in Celbridge - and then enforce it.
    There problem solved and it didn't cost anything ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

There is a 50km/h in Celbridge with little enforcement so why do you think a 30km/h might get any better enforcement? It would cost to change all the signage and whatever else has to be done as a knock on.

Advertisement