Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new traffic lights at Celbridge House

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

^ How can that be safe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

MYOB wrote: »
    it seems.

Not sure what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

HonalD wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean?

Wasn't to the front of it (only Applegreen) at that time. Could have been a crash, wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭powerade

It would appear that we are united in our desire for the new traffic lights in Celbridge to be turned off but what can we do to make that happen?

I have been in regular contact with Frank O Rourke to complain about the traffic and, although he has politely and professionally responded to my mails, he has given no indication that there is any possibility of them being turned off. God knows what it will be like when the new pedestrian lights are turned on at Celbridge House.

The new traffic management system cost a lot of money and that might be acceptable if the Pro's greatly outweighed the Con's but that does not appear to be the case. The volume of traffic through Celbridge was grossly underestimated and someone made that mistake but it was not the residents of Celbridge. We have contributed to the cost of this project through our taxes and we will continue to pay for it with wasted time spent in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

powerade wrote: »
    It would appear that we are united in our desire for the new traffic lights in Celbridge to be turned off but what can we do to make that happen?

Baseballbat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

powerade wrote: »
    God knows what it will be like when the new pedestrian lights are turned on at Celbridge House.

That's going to make matters 10x worse :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

There's a heap of cameras on the lights no to thwart any bat related antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

The new pavements, road resurfacing and line markings are a welcome improvement to the overall junction.

Now we just need the lights turned off and it'll be perfect.

So, more lights planned for the other route to the motorway now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

mloc123 wrote: »
    So, more lights planned for the other route to the motorway now...

Great. They just want to trap us in Celbridge, with no way of getting out, and eventually we'll turn into zombies!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

There's a heap of cameras on the lights no to thwart any bat related antics.

Or indeed any vehicle reversal tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Sounds like a pedestrian flyover would be the only logical solution, but not familiar enough with the area to say if it's feasible

Where's Wolstans abbey? IS the solution to every single traffic problem to put in more lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

the junction is where Hazelhatch road meets the road out to the Dublin Road.

I think it was pretty inevitable that lights would appear here as it is effectively a route bypassing Celbridge for people going over to the ardclough side and is a busy rat run

There is a crossing at Primrose Hill estate entrance about 100 yards further up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a set put in at the entrance to Hazelhatch park in the future, especially with the school out that road meaning lots of kids walking

EDIT
    Reading it again it seems to be a pedestrian crossing as opposed to lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

KCC really should build a bridge down at the Slip to funnel Hazelhatch, Lucan and points south traffic out of the Main Street but the Shopocracy won't stand for it.

'Traffic Calming' at Ballyoulster sounds to me like traffic lights at the junction opposite the Orchard... which will be four sets of lights on a 1.5km stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

At Ballyouster I imagine it will be lights

At Hazelhatch Road it could be a crossing

There is absolutely no need for lights there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

'Traffic Calming' = more speed bumps I'm guessing. I actually wouldn't mind them so much if you could actually drive over them at the speed limit. The new one at the Crodaun entrance has to be taken at very low speed if you have any respect for your vehicle.

Also, I'm pretty sure it got modified to be 'steeper' after it was built.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    'Traffic Calming' = more speed bumps I'm guessing. I actually wouldn't mind them so much if you could actually drive over them at the speed limit.

The speed limit is the maximum speed permitted and not a target to aim for. Traffic Calming ramps are often requested but afterwards the very people who asked for them are left driving over them for the rest of their lives.

I have been in an ambulance strapped down and ramps are painful at that time.

• Advertisement

The speed limit is the maximum speed permitted and not a target to aim for.

True when driving, but infrastructure should be built to allow for safe use at the speed limit without risking damage to vehicles.

If the speed limit is suitable for the area or not would be another issue, which I think was discussed a few pages back. (50 is fine IMO.)
    I have been in an ambulance strapped down and ramps are painful at that time.

That would definitely be one of the many negatives alright. I remember getting launched out of my seat sometimes years ago when the bus would 'hit' what were at the time the new ramps at the Castletown Gates.

Overall I never liked the 'Punish everybody for the bad habits of the few' approach of ramps.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

The speed limit is the maximum speed permitted and not a target to aim for.

Take that approach in your driving test and you'll fail for failing to make progress / impeding others. Driving well below the limit and safe conditions (vehicle type, weather, road, etc) can also get you penalty points for driving without due consideration; if you're holding up traffic as a result.

Before the introduction of blanket 80/100 on rural roads it was perfectly valid to say that the signed limit was actually a target and that only on NSL was it a case of there being a maximum permitted but there's far too many 80/100 roads where the limit would kill you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Buffman wrote: »
    'Traffic Calming' = more speed bumps I'm guessing. I actually wouldn't mind them so much if you could actually drive over them at the speed limit. The new one at the Crodaun entrance has to be taken at very low speed if you have any respect for your vehicle.

Also, I'm pretty sure it got modified to be 'steeper' after it was built.

It definitely got modified. Ive quite a low car and when the ramp was built first i had to slow down, but it was fine. Now i have to go over nearly at a crawl because theyve raised it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    It definitely got modified. Ive quite a low car and when the ramp was built first i had to slow down, but it was fine. Now i have to go over nearly at a crawl because theyve raised it so much.

I agree that bump is terrible.

I also wonder if KCC have a policy of building ramps then letting become dangerous ...... all the ones down past Aghards are in a dreadful state.

I have given up complaining to local representatives because they just blather , in the case of a certain Cllr he likes to ' blather' for hours.

When my car was last serviced I was told the steering rack was on it's way out , I am convinced its because of these ramps. Love to send KCC the bill !!

Ohhh back to the OP , how are the lights working out now , I have never personally been held up , although yesterday at 17:30 I was in a slow moving queue back to Applegreen , but no worse than when the Boys School throws out and all the parents who can't let ' Little Johnny ' walk more than 50 yds park on the roundabout as well as other places.

MYOB wrote: »
    Take that approach in your driving test and you'll fail for failing to make progress / impeding others.

Driving well below the limit and safe conditions (vehicle type, weather, road, etc) can also get you penalty points for driving without due consideration; if you're holding up traffic as a result.

We're veering well of topic now but what backup have you for those two statements re. Driving Test & Penalty Points. It may be your opinion that they theoretically could happen, which is fine but they definitely are bizarre and factually incorrect comments.

We're veering well of topic now but what backup have you for those two statements re. Driving Test & Penalty Points. It may be your opinion that they theoretically could happen, which is fine but they definitely are bizarre and factually incorrect comments.

They're not factually incorrect in the slightest, nor are they opinion, nor theorethical. Stating something is "factually incorrect" without spending even a second researching it is a bit pathetic.

Test: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Preparing_driving_test_DL_v2.pdf

Progress is specifically mentioned as an assessed factor and even a common cause of failure. Driving too slowly is failing to make progress

Also not very hard to find a number of people on here alone who failed for that specific reason.

Points/fines:
    What is and isn't driving without due consideration is at the discretion of an individual Garda, but people have been issued with points and even taken to court on non-payment of fines for driving too slowly.

Google is currently acting the maggot for me and refusing to let me filter by country, but when it does I should be able to dig up a court report or two on it. Found this one which is much the same via the boards.ie search which is working - fixed penalty, taken to court and then actually given a 12 month ban for driving slowly: http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6475&Itemid=38

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Back on topic here, how did everyone find it last night. I arrived around 5.55pm.

I drove to the top of the slip and seen the cars backed up onto the roundabout, nearly as far as the Castletown car park slip exit. I was luck enough to be able to get back onto the M4 and go in via the Maynooth exit off the M4.

Is it the same counsellor who has just sent around ' a lot done, a lot more to do' type update on the ruination of the traffic system into Celbridge who everybody is mailing with reference to this madness. He obviously isn't listening or doesn't care.

Well why don't we all make sure not to vote for the gob****e in the upcoming election. Maybe unemployment will soften his cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Is it the same counsellor who has just sent around ' a lot done, a lot more to do' type update on the ruination of the traffic system into Celbridge who everybody is mailing with reference to this madness. He obviously isn't listening or doesn't care.

Yes....... don't phone him unless you have 30 mins to spare he likes to talk !

• Advertisement

Snoopy1 wrote: »

Ye, I'd say most people got a nasty surprise (myself included) when it was modified without warning.

I can only imagine what it'll be like in a year or two when the road on either side has sunk a bit due to traffic!
    Davidth88 wrote: »
    I agree that bump is terrible.

I also wonder if KCC have a policy of building ramps then letting become dangerous ...... all the ones down past Aghards are in a dreadful state.

Ye, those ones aren't great, also the ones around Scoil Na Mainistreach are in a similarly poor condition.
    Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Back on topic here, how did everyone find it last night. I arrived around 5.55pm.

I drove to the top of the slip and seen the cars backed up onto the roundabout, nearly as far as the Castletown car park slip exit. I was luck enough to be able to get back onto the M4 and go in via the Maynooth exit off the M4.

Yep, any time around 18:00-18:30 is a no go area for me up there now! Even trying to leave Celbridge you could be waiting 10 minutes. Getting into and out of Aldi and the other shops/takeaways is a difficulty too.

Also, it would be interesting to see the statistics from Dublin Bus to see how journey times have been affected.

Advertisement