Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new traffic lights at Celbridge House

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Buffman wrote: »
    Yep, any time around 18:00-18:30 is a no go area for me up there now! Even trying to leave Celbridge you could be waiting 10 minutes. Getting into and out of Aldi and the other shops/takeaways is a difficulty too.

Also, it would be interesting to see the statistics from Dublin Bus to see how journey times have been affected.

I would also be interested to see what happens to the Maxol.

It's impossible now to go into there if you are heading out of Celbridge I have almost stopped going there .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

8 mins so far. Haven't reached apple green...why did I come this way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'll sit tight in work for a bit so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

The fact Co Kildare has seemingly so many lights, more than Meath & Wicklow, could be because the traffic light manufacturer's Irish HQ is based there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

How are locals finding these lights now? Is the traffic situation any better?

• Advertisement

Nope still ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

livEwirE wrote: »
    How are locals finding these lights now? Is the traffic situation any better?

10 minutes for me from the applegreen roundabout to the lights coming from Maynooth direction around 18:10 this evening, probably add another 10 minutes if coming from the motorway exit.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Yeah, I passed this leaving Celbridge yesterday at around 6:40 - absolutely crazy, traffic was queued all the way to the motorway:eek: You'd imagine traffic shouldn't be that bad after 6pm on a Tuesday evening!

IT wouldn't be if Frank O'Rourke had left well enough alone. Everyone remember to not vote for him in the local elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I have complained three times to Kildare county council about these lights and looks like I'll add the politicians.

It is a rare evening that I am not sitting in slow moving traffic or stalled entirely from past applegreen (I live in thornhill).

To add insult to injury I own an old honda saloon which is low to the road and there is literally no speed except a dead stop to roll at which I can get over that new speed bump which doesn't result in me bumping the bumper!

It is a busy junction, for pedestrians and cars particularly in the morning. However the lollipop lady worked well and there was no reason to jump the whole way to junction lights without trying an automated crossing for pedestrians first?

And what absolute gobs*te thought it was a good idea to get rid of the filter lane coming from the thornhill side?? It's now causing massive problems, particularly in the evening when people can't get in or out of the shops even when the yellow box isn't blocked!

One of the biggest issues with the right turn coming from the N4 in the evenings now is when the shop gets backlogged only three cars max can make it around the corner during the lights

Current_zpscf1674e9.png

This is one thing that might work for that particular problem but I don't know if it can be enforced retrospectively
    Solution_zps71eacc05.png

• Advertisement

The lights were off all weekend and this morning at 07:00, I was almost getting my hopes up, but they're back on this evening!

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Anytime I've come to this junction I've never had a problem with delays or anything but that new ramp is a freakin nightmare!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

ChewChew wrote: »
    Anytime I've come to this junction I've never had a problem with delays or anything but that new ramp is a freakin nightmare!!

I have to agree.

The lights were off again yesterday (Sun) and this morning, but back on this evening. On the plus side it only took five minutes from the M4 to the lights this evening at 18:30.

The lights were off again yesterday (Sun) and this morning, but back on this evening. On the plus side it only took five minutes from the M4 to the lights this evening at 18:30.

Yeah but if you had of arrived at 6, it would have taken you close on 15 mins to get through.

Seems like we are stuck with it now. It really does annoy me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,878 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Probably worth remembering who has made such a big event of "getting" those lights when you vote on Friday...

He actually called?? to my door, the missus was there all day and our front bell is like a fog horn. So all he did was drop a scribbled bit of paper in the letterbox to say how sorry he was that he missed us! He never rang the bell!!!

He's one lucky man i wasn't there to greet him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

When I saw the lights off on Monday morning, I thought they might have been left off all week, Trying to soften us up for the vote on Friday, hoping we'd forget....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

Ken Tucky wrote: »

Yeah but if you had of arrived at 6, it would have taken you close on 15 mins to get through.

Seems like we are stuck with it now. It really does annoy me :mad:

As said, you know who is claiming responsibility for this so hit him where it hurts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

He called to my door a few weeks ago and I asked about the lights, it is hard to get a word in with him. His points on the lights were...

-They are still fine tuning them and the peak wait time is about 9 minutes from Apple green to Aldi. Much the same wait time in the opposite direction.
    -He claims that each morning from 7.30-9 he drives around approaching the lights from each direction himself to time how long it takes... I have my doubts.
    -The lights on the Lucan road will have a sensor, if somebody presses the button and crosses the road before they turn red it will cancel out. I still think they will cause some delays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,878 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mloc123 wrote: »
    -He claims that each morning from 7.30-9 he drives around approaching the lights from each direction himself to time how long it takes... I have my doubts.

Well for him to have the time for that; but does he really need to be adding to the traffic congestion every single day?

The last point sounds improbable to the level that I think he made it up. He may have made it all up, though.

mloc123 wrote: »
    He called to my door a few weeks ago and I asked about the lights, it is hard to get a word in with him. His points on the lights were...

Are you referring to Frank O'Rourke here? Seems like people are afraid to mention his name :) He actually called to my home last week and just before he was about to go on another waffle rant he got a phone call and answered it - shockingly bad manners on a constituents doorstep. Needless to say, I shut the door in his face:P

Are you referring to Frank O'Rourke here? Seems like people are afraid to mention his name :) He actually called to my home last week and just before he was about to go on another waffle rant he got a phone call and answered it - shockingly bad manners on a constituents doorstep. Needless to say, I shut the door in his face:

Yip that would be him, and that also is very funny .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I've just been over to Celbridge this afternoon. Scary moment on the roundabout at the M4 when an idiot who shall be nameless but driving a van with Frank O'Rourke plastered all over it nearly took the bonnet off my car as he indicated, cut in, and took the Celbridge exit from the outside lane of the roundabout with me on his inside in the correct lane!

I was held up at the lights, held up again 50 yards further on as a car turning into Aldi waited for the queue of traffic, caused by the lights, to clear so he could turn. Held up again on my way back.

What a disastrous design! Pretty much created a problem where one didn't exist before.

Rosahane wrote: »
    I've just been over to Celbridge this afternoon. Scary moment on the roundabout at the M4 when an idiot who shall be nameless but driving a van with Frank O'Rourke plastered all over it nearly took the bonnet off my car as he indicated, cut in, and took the Celbridge exit from the outside lane of the roundabout with me on his inside in the correct lane!

I was held up at the lights, held up again 50 yards further on as a car turning into Aldi waited for the queue of traffic, caused by the lights, to clear so he could turn. Held up again on my way back.

What a disastrous design! Pretty much created a problem where one didn't exist before.

Incredibly frustrating that these incidents are almost a daily occurance :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

the bold Frank is gonna get a slap of the peann luaidhe on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

the bold Frank is gonna get a slap of the peann luaidhe on Friday

If he doesn't get elected, does that mean we avoid additional traffic lights being added on the other side of Celbridge?

Doubt it, I'd say we'll get them anyway. COuncil needs to waste time and resources on something. Lights and landscaped roundabouts are the two bankers for that. He does need a firm back hander for making ****e of the traffic in the village though. Let your voices be heard!

Unrelated to the lights but... It drives me mad when people turning right into Lidl do not use the right turn lane properly. I have been stuck waiting minutes behind people that stop half way between the two lanes and end up blocking traffic that is continuing straight towards Maynooth.

• Advertisement

The second set of lights (pedestrian crossing 100m further up) were on this morning, first time I have seen them working.

Advertisement