Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unregistered Childminder

Options
  • 04-02-2014 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I've a bit of a problem and I'm looking for some advice.
    I've got 3 kids, aged 8, 4, and 1. Both myself and my wife work, so the kids are at the childminders all week.
    She is a friend of the family, and has been looking after our kids since the oldest was 6 months, and the kids are very close to her.
    The problem is, we recently applied for a medical card, and we got a response today saying our application is on hold pending receipt of childminders details, ie amount per week/month, name, address, contact number.
    Now, as she is not registered with revenue, my wife won't submit her details, even though we could really do with getting the medical card.
    It's causing a bit of tension at home, as it's me that pays her €150 per week, and it's my opinion that it's not our problem she's not registered.

So, any advice on the best way forward?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I suppose you have to balance out the potential savings from the medical card against the potential costs of losing your child minder. If you give her details and she has to stop minding your children, you may not be able to find someone else to do it for the same price.

You also have to spend time finding a new minder and move your children from a place where they are content to a new place - with all the settling in problems that may involve.

If she is still able to mind your children she will presumably have higher costs such as registration and insurance, which will be passed on to you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

she can earn 15k PA tax free and just needs to pay her prsi.
    Is she registered with childminding Ireland? or the local childcare committee?
    Insurance and registration costs 155PA.
    Depending where in the country you are 150pw is a very low amount to be paying for 3 young kids so you need to talk to her and your wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yowsa, you have the cheapest childminder in the country! That adds up to 7800 per annum, which is well below the taxable amount.

How it affects a medical card application is anyone's guess, as they seem to be assessed on a case by case basis these days. I'd be all in favour of telling the truth, and not hiding anything, as being the best way forward. Especially when it comes to matters of the revenue and benefits. It'll only come back to bite you later otherwise.

I'd submit the details (letting childminder know first of course) and go from there.

A medical card is worth an absolute fortune to a family of 5. Even if none of you ever get sick enough to need a hospital, the GP visits, dental care and prescriptions are worth applying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Wow €150 per week to look after your three kids!! my colleague here at work is forking out over €2 grand per month for her 3 wee ones in creche. My sis pays 850 per month to send her 2 year old to creche. I guess you have to add up the costs of how much you are spending on healthcare versus the cost of sending them to a registered childminder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

She only legally has to register as a childmider if she is minding four or more children, she is under no obligation to register if she just minds your 3.

Tax is a separate matter. She should be declaring her income, but as she earns so little she would not have to pay any tax (
    I am presuming she is minding them in her home, as if she is minding them in your home, that is up to you as her employer)

She should not have any objecton to this, but may ask for a pay rise when she sees how much she can earn tax free!

+ 1 on the wow, I pay €70 for an 8 hour day for two kids. What county do you live in, out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The could be an issue is someone in the childminders house is claiming a social welfare payment, like if she was a QAD on her partner's claim etc.

Advertisement