Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CEO at Microsoft

Options
  • 04-02-2014 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Just been announced, the rumours were true!!!
    Nadella been named the new CEO and Gates is stepping down as chairman of the board. He will be replaced by John Thompson.

What do we think of the news and future of MS?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

whats your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

Cabaal wrote: »
    whats your view?

Touchy Cabaal!!!

Well ultimately I hope it is a good choice. MS needed new life brought into it. They have lost several key people in recent years and have become too dependent on certain areas of operations while losing out in others. They have got some things VERY right but unfortunately these seem to be overwhelmed by what they have done badly.

Although Nadella has no CEO experience he seems to be a capable choice. I love the fact that MS is back in the hands of an engineer. The fact that he has been behind some of MS most successful divisions goes to show his capabilities.

In the short term it should be a big comfort for businesses to know that they choose an “enterprise guy”. Enterprise is one of MS largest areas yet it seems to have been over looked recently. That being said, MS have made it very clear that they don’t want to be “the next IBM” so I can’t imagine he can afford to be too enterprise focused. As time goes on I think enterprise and consumer are going to be more related and I wonder how he will develop the consumer side of the business.

Ultimately I hope Nadella can refocus the company, bring it back its strengths and most importantly inspire its engineers once again.

Regarding the Gates move, I thing no matter who was going to be made CEO, he had to step down from the board. MS new “devices & services” focus is into a very competitive market. The new CEO needs to be able to evolve the company in their own way without the restrictions (obvious or subconscious) of having Gates at the head of the table. From the existing board John Thompson is the obvious choice to take over. He is an outsider who prides himself on having learned from both his positive and negative previous experience.

Gates still even today has huge pulling power and a great public impression, especially with non-tech followers. I hope his new role will get him back into the public eye, developing and promoting new products and of course advising Nadella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭stupid head

His first Interview.

Very brown nosey, by the bookie read but anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭stupid head

Cabaal wrote: »
    whats your view?
    Does this ^^^ piss people off - how often it's used? Or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Something that pisses me off is when people start threads and ask for other people's input without giving their own.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Yeah i dont see why people need an opinion from the OP. Its like they are looking for an argument

Advertisement